• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you like how Isshu's name was handled?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
It was different in almost all languages. So I'm wondering if you liked how it was handled and are you happy that Kalos is staying the same in all languages? Also I can't not help that when I hear Kalos, I think of the name Carlos in a British accent.

I thought Gen V would start a new trend by changing the region name in every language and was actually shocked when I found out they're keeping the name Kalos everywhere.

I got no Isshus with the name change.
... sorry. Couldn't resist.

Isshu doesn't sound very USA-like so it's good that it got changed.

I don't really like the sound of Kalos but it has that o sound so I suppose it's fine.

At first I was upset they changed the name from Isshu to Unova. I just thought it was only to keep the pattern of having regions with an o or o sound in it. But when I heard it was changed in almost all languages, I was more ok with it. Plus Unova sounds better imo. Glad they only romanized Karos and changed it to Kalos though, cause it basically stays the same.

I wasn't in favor of them breaking the pattern, but I guess they had no other choice. I mean, Isshu? Seriously?

But Kalos does not have the same o-sound as the other regions have. Because they all have an oh-sound. I think that the o in Kalos is just a coincidence.

I like the name Isshu, just because of the sound of it, even if the oh is missing. Unova sounds like United States of America, which would fit if Isshu is based on the USA, but else I'm not very fond of that name.

Isshu as a name is different from the other regions just like the region itself is different, so I think that's why they named it without the oh-sound, because it's remote from the other regions.

"Unova" sounds like "United" and "supernova" combined. It's fun to say: yooouuuu-noooo-vaaaah.

Meanwhile, "Isshu" sounds like "issue", as in a problem.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom