• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you like Misty/Kasumi's role on the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musashi

Clap Clap
Reaction score
One of the biggest debates in the fandom has been Kasumi's role on the show. Some enjoyed her, while others thought she did very little throughout her run. Did you enjoy her role? Did you find her uninteresting? How could the writers have improved her? Please explain here.

Last edited:
Re: Did you like Kasumi's role on the show?

Yes. I would have liked her to be involved in more battles, but overall she was a great character to me.

I liked her fine. I thought she was a fun character overall, just like I found Takeshi to be one. I guess they could've made her more involved, but I'm not too surprised that this wasn't done with her character.

She was fine for Kanto/Orange, not so much in Johto.

Although to be fair it really doesn't matter so much anymore, since the writers addressed many of the issues with her character with almost all the characters who came after. In a way, Misty served as a template for the writers where a lot of trial and error was done.

I don't think they actually knew what they could truly do with a female protagonist at the time.

I liked her role on the show, but eventually the time came for her to leave, and while it was nice to see her again later on, I don't think we'll be seeing her again. It may be a straightforward response, but that's how I feel.

Yes, I liked her.

She was the first female accompanying Ash and although the writing wasn't as good back then as it is now, she was handled fine. As much as I would have liked for Misty to have had a storyline more like Iris's current one, she served her time and her goodbye was bittersweet. She also got plenty of cameos, so yeah. She was a nice character and Ash's first female companion - people will never forget her. Especially her fans who are still present in 2011. :D

There is no definite answer in my case being both yes and no.
Character-wise:i was satisfied with way Misty was treated liking her personality and change through she went starting out as impatient and temperative girl later on with help of friends and Togepi starting to become more patient and better a controlling her anger.
This can be noticed with her violent side not being showed so frequently which allowed other personality traits she had which were at times overshadowed by temper to come on surface more like sarcasm,kindness,her teasing remarks and humor,quirks like love for water types or competitive fire in her etc.

Story-wise:She received good focus for a supporting character serving as Ash coach and mentor along with Brock helping him to grow as trainer but as far as character development and story goes while there was some great development she didnt received nearly enough.
Especially in such a long region like Johto was with lot of opportunities being wasted by writers on unnecessary filers.For example they could expand more on her goal of becoming water master having her battle and compete in more competitions which would serve as indication of further progress being made(similar to Whirl Cup)
-give her possibly some rival which would serve as push forward(Marina,Trinity etc were clearly missed opportunities)
-do more with her pokemon and exploit on her back-story and motives behind some decisions(like desire to use one type wanting to become best with the.,from where her fears from Gyarados an bugs come from etc) which would allow for some quality development etc.)
Her goal of becoming water master was barely touched,Misty as character wasnt fleshed out enough not receiving enough focus with many things being left unanswered in her story and undefined.

Unfortunately writers never did as much as they could with Misty leaving lot of potential for further development unused which resulted in character being replaced with many things in story being left unfinished and underdeveloped.

In nutshell i was more or less satisfied with what Misty got in Kanto and OI but in Johto she didnt got enough generally speaking not being fleshed out as character to required level not getting enough focus and development.However she was and is great and very fun character in my opinion.

Last edited:

I was fine with it. Most people know that Misty's my favorite character, and I had no real problems with how she was handled. She could have used some more development and focus, but as a whole I'm happy with the way she was.

I though Kasumi/Misty was an interesting character. She didn't do as much as future characters, but she was still interesting. Let's see: she helped Ash, she participated in the Whirl Cup, she had an interesting backstory, and so on and so forth. I'm under the impression that the writers didn't really know how to deal Kasumi and that her character would have improved if she hadn't left the anime after Johto.

I was fine with Misty's character (as in personality and Pokemon). D= I felt really bad when she was taken off, I thought everything would change....well it did but I gave May and Max a chance ^^;

I don't have much to say because I haven't watched anything before DP in long time ^^; and I never really sat down to analyze her character so I can't really say anything about her "role" unless I take things from what I hear from other people.

I think her specializing in water pokemon should have stood out more. Aside from those few water competitions she was in, there was very little emphasis on it.

For the most part, there's really nothing Misty did with her water pokemon that was unique compared to any other character that had water pokemon. Ash's 5+ water pokemon, Dawn's Piplup, May's Squirtle, etc. all have had tons of emphasis on them.

We've seen Ash bring out the power in many of his water types, yet there's really nothing Misty did with hers to make it stand out as being unique. Her pokemon never used much attacks outside of the usual water gun, bubble/bubblebeam, etc.

More diverse types like Corsola being part rock type (like it using Spike Canon), would have helped differentiate her team that had almost all the same moves.

And even though this is minor, anyone notice Misty never had a connection with a legendary like every other character? For a movie or even an episode, it was never done. They could have had a Suicune ep revolve around her, but nope.

Her pokemon never used much attacks outside of the usual water gun, bubble/bubblebeam, etc.
Metronome, Tackle, Doubleslap, Mirror Coat, Recover, Smog, Smokescreen, Rapid Spin, Confusion, Disable, Refresh, Flamethrower, Horn Attack, Headbutt, Swagger, and Agility.

I think her specializing in water pokemon should have stood out more. Aside from those few water competitions she was in, there was very little emphasis on it.

For the most part, there's really nothing Misty did with her water pokemon that was unique compared to any other character that had water pokemon. Ash's 5+ water pokemon, Dawn's Piplup, May's Squirtle, etc. all have had tons of emphasis on them.

Actually thats not entirely true,Misty had special relationship with Psyduck which cant be denied and if i remember correctly she manage to get Poliwhirl confidence back when he was losing in Johto against Andreas Poliwrath encouraging him to believe in himself being able to stand up and turn battle around.
That and with Staryu we could see how much she truly cared for it like when battling Ash in Cerulean gym pointing how she understands his feelings later when battling Ash for Totodile apologizing to Staryu because of pushing him too hard.

But in nutshell i agree with you on all accounts,writers should expand more on Misty goal of becoming water master and while Whirl Cup was good start defining better what that term means it simply wasnt enough.They should have her battle more giving bigger diversity to Misty team(most diverse was Corsola and Staryu who used sometimes moves not specific for water),reveal more of her past etc.

One of unused opportunities was definitely Horsea who should have been brought in Johto evolving it,or possibly giving her Totodile changing things up instead of Ash getting all three.
Than there was whole potential to give Misty some rival which could stand on her way posing obstacle she would need to overcome.I always thought Marina would be perfect for Misty rival sharing similar dreams both being water trainers.

Misty has great pesonality,unique traits and potential but unfortunately she didnt received justice as character with many things being left unexplored about her and story being one of reasons why i want her back as main.

Watching many Animes has made me detest Tsunderes with a burning passion so my dislike for Misty is much more than when I first watched the show. Back then, I thought she was okay. Not good but not not horrible either.

Misty was actually the first tsundere that I saw, so I actually loved her character when I saw the show all those years ago. I don't know much about battles or "role", but personality-wise and how she interacted with Ash, at least pre-Johto, was really fun.

Misty was actually the first tsundere that I saw, so I actually loved her character when I saw the show all those years ago. I don't know much about battles or "role", but personality-wise and how she interacted with Ash, at least pre-Johto, was really fun.

Not sure if i get what you mean but in Johto Misty was great personality wise too having memorable interactions and chemistry with group.One of notable moments i remember is when she and Ash were striving for same thing like Totodile or Whirl Cup with some excellent characterization being involved,or when she encouraged Brock to go after girl which liked him having meaningful conversation along with interacting well with Sakura,Egan and several other characters.

When watching Johto i noticed Misty as character still being quirky and enjoyable starting to mature abit becoming less violent which explains her temper being used less often still being sarcastic,caring,humorous etc.She didnt got enough focus but her personality was from what i noticed alright.

As for whole tsundere thing Misty was typical tsundere at start of Kanto but with time she started to change showing different sides of her personality not being so stereotypical anymore.

Even if there was "quirky" moments, it was few and far in-between that I barely remember any from her. Whatever I remember from Johto was Misty holding Togepi, worrying when it gets lost, feeding it etc etc.

Did I like her role in the series? Hmm, I can't say that I do, and I can't say that I don't...I'm kinda on the fence about that...Seeing what the writers did with May and Dawn, and now Iris makes me feel bittersweet about this.

Misty IMO was a great character. There wasn't anything totally wrong about her. She was:

A good character
Had great personality
Had a LOT of potential
But not so good development

I think the problem was the writers didn't really handle her that well. I would've liked for her to have been more involved in the plot. Have outlets in the show to improve her skills more, and develop her character. But instead of that, Misty was treated poorly. She was used solely as a female token placeholder rather than an actual character. And you can clearly tell that the writers didn't view her highly, especially Takeshi Shudo (of course anyone can get that reading his blogs). It's saddening when you have a writer that clearly shows favoritism to certain characters over others.

That being said, Misty still had her moments where she stood out, and shined like a real character. I wouldn't say I really liked her role, because there was so much more that they could've done with her. Like I said, she was a great character but with a lot of unused potential.

I think another problem is too much of Misty's character was focused on being a potential love interest, especially in Orange Islands where they kept bringing it up. Now I don't want to turn this into a shipping argument, but the writers wound up treating Misty as a love interest for the main character at the time, rather than her own character. Instead of focusing on Misty's own dream and goals, they instead kept the, "Misty likes Ash so she'll just support him on the sidelines" thing going way too long.

If the writers knew how long the show would go on, they obviously would have never pushed the Ash/Misty thing as much as they did in the first two seasons. Since of course there were no other main females at the time, they also figured they might as well pair up the hero with the only other female character on the show at that point.

As the series progressed, and as Shudo says in his blogs, he realized romance couldn't work in Pokemon (at least with Ash), which is why it was abandoned during the Johto arc.

In retrospect it would have never happened if the writers knew what they know now. Misty would have had a cohesive story arc, at least on the level of Iris, and not be, "token love interest for main hero."

Even if there was "quirky" moments, it was few and far in-between that I barely remember any from her. Whatever I remember from Johto was Misty holding Togepi, worrying when it gets lost, feeding it etc etc.

Well lack of screen time=/=quality of her personality being decreased.
If you want i recommend to rewatch some of Johto episodes where she got notable focus to see what im talking about.Like "Hook,Line and Stinker","Some Like it Hot",Whirl Cup,"Unbearable",,"Totodile Duel","Joy of water pokemon",episodes involving Salura,etc,etc.
Such "quirk"moments of her character happened quite often not being so much rare having good interacting with Ash and Brock feeling like group from what i noticed after rewatching this saga not too long ago.

Whenever Misty got spotlight on her own in Johto or whenever she shared screen time with someone else she showed her unique traits being visibly showed how she was still full of personality.
Minus temper being less frequent due to becoming little more mature all other persona aspects of Misty were pretty much same in Johto like they were before.
Problem is that in episodes where she didnt got any focus being in background her character didnt had chance to interact much with others.Every character like Ash,May,Dawn etc sometimes stand on side lines not showing his traits,it just happens that in Misty case this moments were more often with writers going little overboard in Johto not giving her enough focus for such a long region.Result of their incompetence and mistakes not knowing how to handle several things right at that time.

However it can be noticed that Misty began to mature as character in Johto starting to develop getting over her complex of inferiority which was caused by sisters later on developing further in chronicles and cameos in more confident and serene character while retaining her older enjoyable traits like spunk,sarcasm,fears being still hotheaded but less violent one.In my opinion Misty developed in nice blend of older and new Misty with majority liking how he developed post Johto.

However on negative side many things in her story were left unfinished(her goal is just one of them),her character didnt got over some flaws which stand on her way of achieving her dreams not being fleshed out enough to be honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom