• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you think Dawn and Paul were originally gonna have a subplot?

Do you think Dawn/Paul were going to have a subplot?

• Total voters

Cybersai

Reaction score
Way back when DP first started, people, for some reason, assumed Dawn and Paul were going to have this bickering rivalry on the side of the main Ash/Paul rivalry.

I assume this is because Dawn and Paul were the first two DP characters revealed, and people originally thought Paul was going to travel on the group due to a misleading DP poster than had him with the trio instead of Brock.

However, it also had this which led people in the wrong direction, where Dawn got angry and lashed out on Paul for not remembering her name way back in Roark's Gym at the start of the saga:

IkariShipping015.jpg

Brock holds her back in the next scene. However after that, Dawn and Paul had almost no interaction whatsoever throughout the rest of DP.

Do you think the writers were originally planning some Dawn/Paul chemistry on the side, but then dropped it early on when they realized Paul had nothing to do with Dawn's contest story?

Its quite interesting how wrong people were about Dawn and Paul's interactions, which became non-existant as DP progressed.

Last edited:
Re: Do you think Dawn and Paul were originally gonna have a subplot which was dropped

Nope, I didn't think anything.

Re: Do you think Dawn and Paul were originally gonna have a subplot?

Dawn and Paul? Since when? What interaction?

It's just Dawn bashing the jerk for not knowing her name.

Dawn and Paul? Since when? What interaction?

It's just Dawn bashing the jerk for not knowing her name.

Well you weren't around back in 2006 and early 2007 when DP was still new and little was known about what direction Dawn and Paul's characters would take.

I remember people thinking they would have this bickering hate rivalry for some reason.

Fun fact, Ikarishipping is always in the top 3 (either 2 or 3) Dawn ships along with Ash/Dawn and Zoey/Dawn.

Many people (including myself), had seen waaaaay too many anime in our time with characters like that (asshole and sweet girl who falls for asshole) and guessed that some sort of shipping/romance thing would brew under the surface. And if this was one of those shows, then maybe something would have happened.

But this is Pokemon and shipping for the most part isn't what this show is about, it didn't. Not like it wold have added anything, though.

Well you weren't around back in 2006 and early 2007 when DP was still new and little was known about what direction Dawn and Paul's characters would take.

I recall that period. It still looks like a simple fight.

Could you imagine if the show finally established some weird relationship theory like theirs as real? Man... this website would explode.

I don't think so. The pic Scott showed is just Dawn about to break up a fight between Ash and Paul.

I was hoping for it when I saw that. But the only interaction they really had after that was in that double battle event arc in Hearthome. I mean Dawn and Conway vs Ash and Paul is almost this right? Its really the only time we got to see them battle.

Maybe Dawn got mature by the time and she now knows that whatever she does she can't make Paul remember her name. I mean why would a cool jerk like Paul remember Dawn's name?

There was absolutely no reason at all to think Dawn will have any special interactions with Paul
People just randomly decided it'll happen based one a short funny scene...

Nah, there was never gonna be a subplot with those two. Dawn hates the guy with a passion though.

Way back when DP first started, people, for some reason, assumed Dawn and Paul were going to have this bickering rivalry on the side of the main Ash/Paul rivalry.

I assume this is because Dawn and Paul were the first two DP characters revealed, and people originally thought Paul was going to travel on the group due to a misleading DP poster than had him with the trio instead of Brock.

Many people (including myself), had seen waaaaay too many anime in our time with characters like that (asshole and sweet girl who falls for asshole) and guessed that some sort of shipping/romance thing would brew under the surface. And if this was one of those shows, then maybe something would have happened.

But this is Pokemon and shipping for the most part isn't what this show is about, it didn't. Not like it wold have added anything, though.

Scott's screenshot and your comment is reminds me something:

125.jpg

Oh yeah...

If you look this way, it's a possible story. But there is two big differences:

1-Paul is related to Ash, primarily, not Dawn;

2-Paul's personality is more mean and serious...

Last edited:
Did you think Dawn and Paul were originally gonna have a subplot?

No. It was just one scene.

Scott's screenshot is remind me something:

125.jpg

Oh yeah...

Right, but since when has Paul ever flirted with Dawn, or even really had a conversation with her?
Erm, and let's not let this disintegrated into a mini Shipping War.

Ah, and, of course, to answer the topic, no. I never thought of that moment as anything more than....eh, comic relief, for lack of a more accurate term.

Right, but since when has Paul ever flirted with Dawn, or even really had a conversation with her?
Erm, and let's not let this disintegrated into a mini Shipping War.

Ah, and, of course, to answer the topic, no. I never thought of that moment as anything more than....eh, comic relief, for lack of a more accurate term.

Eww...I don't shipped them. I just posted it for show it to there is a possibility of subplot between them. This can be that way or other way...

There was absolutely no reason at all to think Dawn will have any special interactions with Paul
People just randomly decided it'll happen based one a short funny scene...

I also remember based on early DP, due to this ep and the original Nando ep, that people thought Dawn was going to constantly bicker and argue with people like Misty.

Since Ash/Dawn had a huge fight in DP4, and Dawn snapped at Paul during the Roark eps, people were like, "Dawn has a temper, she's going to argue with everyone!"

LOL. I know nobody here remembers people saying that unless you were around back in early DP, but its funny how Dawn's personality also went in a different path than expected. Even her excessive girliness wasn't as apparent in the very beginning eps as what followed. People actually thought Dawn would be less girly for some bizarre reason.

Even though I don't mind shipping them every now and then, I'm scratching my head as to why some fans thought there'd be a subplot. Although, I wouldn't have said no to more interactions with people other than their designated rival(s). This goes for the whole series in general, too.

Even though I don't mind shipping them every now and then, I'm scratching my head as to why some fans thought there'd be a subplot.

Probably for the same reason people thought Dawn and Brock would have good chemistry at the start of the saga, which also turned out false.

There are a lot of things people thought about Dawn way back when DP first started that was the total opposite of the way her character played out. People thought she was going to have a huge temper and act more like Misty for some reason, when in fact she was pretty much the total opposite of that character. Some people even thought Piplup would evolve back at the start of DP, or that Dawn would get more screentime than Ash.

I wish some of you were around back in 2006/2007 when DP was first airing, that early DP speculation was quite weird looking back on it now.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom