• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you think Virgil was an interesting character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Araragi-hakase

QUEEN NICKI DOMINATE
Reaction score
Virgil had a lot of potential to be an interesting rival- all of the Eeveelutions, a charismatic personality, but...what else?

It's no secret that his main purpose was to promote the Eevees, but as a character, how do you think he faired?

I wish he had been given more screen time, because I feel like we didn't get a very good feel for him to care one way or the other if he did well in the league. He was introduced way too close to the league to develop much of any character besides "oh he has all of the Eeveelutions". I wish he had been given more back story - what made him want to train all of the Eevees? Why does he like Eevee so much, anyway? What's so special about all of them that makes him want to focus on that evolution chain rather than using different Pokemon? Nor were any of his battles all that memorable.

Even if he was there only for promotion purposes, there's still a lot more they could have done with him.

I always wondered how an Eeveelution Trainer would work. They showcased this with Virgil and it managed it well done.

The only problem I had with him, he was really bland to me. I wish he could've more fun storylines with Ash by getting introduced eariler or something.

The only thing I like about Virgil is his team since that's pretty much the only thing we know about him. He was created to own the cute, most popular, marketable pokemon there are and of course to win the league.

As a character, we don't really know him. We know knothing about his personality and his backstory wasn't very detailed to where we know that much about him or why he likes Eevee. We don't even know anything about his battle style since none of the battles we saw him in lasted longer than 2 minutes. In addition we don't know much about his Pokemon. We mostly saw Eevee and all she did was sit on his shoulder. Neither she nor the other eeveelutions showed any personality and this is only because he was introduced right before the league and then left immediatly after.

If Virgil returns at some point, maybe he can get more development and I'll change my opinion, but as for know, I'd say Virgil is pretty much the worst/most underdeveloped league rival we've had.

I don't know why he was in the show. Yeah, he was there to promote the Eeveelutions, but what else?

Moreover, he was a LEAGUE RIVAL. He was labeled a rival for Ash, and they never even battled each other, in and out of the league. What was the point of being a rival if you weren't going to battle the main protagonist? I don't care if he won the league or not - he rarely had any memorable interactions with Ash. Virgil was just plain pointless, and anyone else could've promoted the Eeveelutions in a different way - maybe even a CoTD.

I'd say Virgil is pretty much the worst/most underdeveloped league rival we've had.

Worse then Ritchie?

I never saw anything wrong with Ritchie. He wasn't created to market any specific Pokemon and he actually battled Ash. Not only that, but their battle actually caused development for Ash as he realized that he still had to work with Charizard.

Virgil basically added nothing important to the series.

Virgil wasn't that interesting, but I didn't actually mind him. In fact there isn't really anything to hate unless bitterness about Satoshi not winning the league comes into play (which is utterly stupid for the record). I did want to see a bit more of the eeveelutions and a possibly Baton Pass combination but hey ho. He was there to win the league in what seemed like the most inoffensive way possible (LOL) so can't really expect too much.

To me, Virgil was an interesting character. I just wish he had more screen time. I think a battle with Ash would have really shown just how power and good of a trainer he was.

A really underdeveloped character you needed the battle who I am hoping with Ash. I love the Eevee family and I don't understand. If Ash fought Virgil in the league, my opinion of the league would have improved.

I mean, his debut episode was okay I guess, but he was just sort of there for the sake of being there. There wasn't really a story line or reason for his league entrance(there were other ways he could of prepared for the rescue team). And he didn't even really get one complete battle. He was just really pointless to me.

At least his character was bearable though unlike Kotetsu.

Not especially. An interesting team =/= an interesting character.

Boring team, boring job, boring design, no interaction. WHY DID HE WIN THE LEAGUE AGAIN?

I didn't. There's nothing memorable about him except his Eevees. He just felt like the typical bland older mature guy the anime introduces at the last second just to have someone to get far in the league.

Not really. I think that there was potential in Virgil to be more than a means of promotion the Eevee evolution line had they focused on him more, but as it was, he was just the typical older and more mature trainer character. There wasn't much there to like in him, but there wasn't much to dislike either, so he was just okay to me. I liked the idea of a trainer having a team of Eevee and its evolution since that seemed kind of interesting and his debut episode was pretty decent, but as a character, Virgil didn't really do much for me.

Meh, he was ok. Very forgettable. I really could say that about all of Ash's 'rivals' if we're calling him that. The exception being Paul, I guess.

Not really. I think that there was potential in Virgil to be more than a means of promotion the Eevee evolution line had they focused on him more, but as it was, he was just the typical older and more mature trainer character. There wasn't much there to like in him, but there wasn't much to dislike either, so he was just okay to me. I liked the idea of a trainer having a team of Eevee and its evolution since that seemed kind of interesting and his debut episode was pretty decent, but as a character, Virgil didn't really do much for me.

Same here. He was just there to be there, IMO. Not a bad rival at all, CERTAINLY more bearable than Cameron, but just didn't stand out all that much to me. The Eevee thing he had going for him was pretty cool, though.

Meh, he was ok. Very forgettable. I really could say that about all of Ash's 'rivals' if we're calling him that. The exception being Paul, I guess.

The only really deep rivalries I've felt from the anime for Ash are Ash/Gary and Ash/Paul. The rest are just really forgettable for me. lol.

I kinda liked Ash and Ritchie's as well as Ash and Stephan's, though.

I thought his character was all right, but he was perhaps the most pointless league rival ever created. He never battled Ash and we never even got to see a full battle from him. He was just there to win the league, promote the Eevee family, and nothing more.

Biased answer: Yes, because he had Eeveelutions. I. Love. Eeveelutions.

Thought out answer: I pretty much agree with everyone here. Besides his debut episode, we don't get much of him. I think he was introduced too late into the series. It's hard to find him interesting when we don't know that much about him and the worst part is: he won the league, but we don't even get to see the full battle. I would have liked to see his battling prowess and the Eeveelutions beat the crap out of Cameron's team. It seems like he was kinda just given the League win. And I find it rather cheap that some dude introduced so late randomly gets the win just to prevent Ash from winning it.

Could've been, but wasn't.

Just there to pimp the Eevee family because a new member was coming up and little more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom