• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you use HM slaves?

Did you use HM slaves?

• Yep. I taught all of them to my HM slave.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No. I spread the moves on my team.

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
Traditionally, I use Golduck as an HM Slave. Since it's still a fantastic Pokemon, it isn't just taking up space in my party. Golduck's never ever let me down. :)

No. I teach an HM to a random Pokemon that I don't use in my party and leave it in the box until I need it. I always have a Pokemon with Surf and Fly on me though since I make sure my team always has a flying type and a water type.

I spread the HM moves on my team, and thanks to movable boulders staying down permanently after using Strength in BW, I can now delete it from my Pokemon's moveset and replace it with a more desirable move.

I've used HM slaves in every Pokémon game except White. In there, I managed to spread it amongst my team.

I don't use them, for me it just seems a bit difficult and a waste of a spot I'll either just have a guy in the box and take him out when I need to use something or teach a few between the guys on my team

Yeah, I find them necessary but HM slaves sounds so...evil. I call 'em travel p's or types. I travel around and if i need a pokemon to help me navigate an area i design one and put in my party. for instance, for forests and caves furret is awesome for travel. It can learn strength, cut, rock smash and headbutt. One poke will know all water HM moves and the moves Fly, Strength, and Surf are normally in my party anyway so...

I usually spread Strength, Surf, and Fly throughout my team in the first three gens, while hunting for something that can learn more useless moves, for example, Flash, Cut, & Rock Smash. I actually use a Gen II-cloned Mew caught on Gen I games and teach it HMs for Gen I and II because of the Mew glitch, but in any case, I'll have my normal 6 and double back to the PC to take out the HM slave only when I can't get somewhere without it.

In Gen 4, I just use Bibarel and Furret for everything. Gen 5 doesn't really need HMs so I just teach it to a random Pokémon caught in or near the area that can learn it, except Surf and Fly which I keep on my team.

Back in Gen 2 I did. In Gen 3 I distributed them evenly amongst my team. In Gen 4 I just started having an HM Slave, but it wouldn't be a part of my team and i'd leave it in the box when its not needed.

I have, in HeartGold and Platinum I had to since most of my party was good in battling. I had a Quagsire in both games that was my HM Slave.

Yeah, 2 of my spots are dedicated for hm slaves.

Infact I used a pretty efficient distribution in Platinum. My Tropius used to know Fly, Defog, Rock Climb and Cut while my Golduck used to know Flash(It wasn't compulsory but I still liked keeping it.), Surf, Rock Smash and Strength. My Gyarados(who was also a key member of my team.) had waterfall. I never ever had to go to my PC for switching mons. EVER.

No, I spread the moves around. The Pokemon I like will get HM moves. The ones I don't will sit in a PC box and rot, completely untouched. Giving my Golurk Fly was sort of my way of saying, "I love ya, big fella so you're staying with me always."

...that and Golurk's 'Dex info says that he can fly, so he deserves that HM move, slaggit!

It depends, but I usually do have an "HM Slave". But I still treat it like a member of my team, just a member with a not so stellar move pool.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom