• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences between the Anime and games that bother you

Certain characters not being featured, and turning Frontier Facilities and Frontier Brains into Pokémon Gyms and Gym Leaders with a fancy name. And in that regard, the Battle Frontier being spread in "Kanto", which was Kanto only in name.

You can tell I stopped watching 90% of this after that arc.

Definitely the way the evil teams are handled. They get practically no focus, and Ash has yet to face the leader of any of them.

The occasional character hijack, then again, the anime isn't the only one guilty of that. But yeah, how some characters are handled are sometimes and even sometimes are omitted altogether.

Definitely the way the evil teams are handled. They get practically no focus, and Ash has yet to face the leader of any of them.

I know and this is suppose to advertise the games. You'd think they'd follow the story better.

I'll tell you something that the anime does similarly to the games that bothers me:

I don't like how slow paced and systematic the battles are in the anime. I get that in the RPG-style games, the sequence of moves in the battle have to be formulaic and methodical.

But in the show, I wish they would be a little more life-like with the battles. I always figured that battles in 'real life' should be more similar to a boxing match, where the two opposing fighters do not just take turns hitting each other... there should be strategy to it and less of the trainer dictating every single thing the battler does.

To me, the word 'trainer' means that the person trains the pokemon for battle but in-battle most of the decision-making during the heat of the moment is up to the pokemon.

I'll tell you something that the anime does similarly to the games that bothers me:

I don't like how slow paced and systematic the battles are in the anime. I get that in the RPG-style games, the sequence of moves in the battle have to be formulaic and methodical.

But in the show, I wish they would be a little more life-like with the battles. I always figured that battles in 'real life' should be more similar to a boxing match, where the two opposing fighters do not just take turns hitting each other... there should be strategy to it and less of the trainer dictating every single thing the battler does.

To me, the word 'trainer' means that the person trains the pokemon for battle but in-battle most of the decision-making during the heat of the moment is up to the pokemon.

They seem to be doing more real time battles in later seasons like DP or BW.

Hikari's hair colour.
Castelia City's anti-climacticness.
Takeshi's skin colour.

If I'm to take the differences seriously, then Ash. >_>

The terrible handling of the game heroes. Better the game heroes than COTD darnit.

Or even specials starting them. -.-

Like Matt0044 has already stated, the writers have greatly improved this in past years. Though some recent battles have been lacking good strategy *cough* BW025 *cough*, the show's been pretty consistent with not having stale actions/movements (a recent example would be in BW006 when Ash's Oshawott uses Water Gun to retrieve its Scalchop while battling against Cilan's Pansage).

Pikchu being able to pwn anything despite lacking a Light Ball, including Ground types (Horn aiming be damned). Thunder armor neither shocked nor upset me, however; I don't find it that different from turning a Cubone's helmet around.

What I really hated back in 2003 was getting my copy of Ruby (then later Sapphire) and being shocked that hardly any of the old Pokemon were in it, as if they no longer existed. Then seeing the anime months later I was ticked off that they still showcased Meowth, Forretress, and Arbok (and later other old Poke's) in Hoenn..Pokemon you couldn't get in Ruby and Sapphire. Having Pokemon shown in the Anime that you can't get in the games of the time suck. I would've liked an Arbok or something, but no, that Pokemon doesn't exist in Hoenn.

I wish the TV show wouldn't skip so many of the early appearances of the early teams. I honestly don't see the point of not using them as much.

It annoys me when Pokemon use attacks that shouldn't affect the opponent, but end up hitting them anyway.

I wish the TV show wouldn't skip so many of the early appearances of the early teams. I honestly don't see the point of not using them as much.

This annoys me too. I think the only time they showed an early team (besides Team Rocket) was with Team Magma appeared in the second episode of AG. We waited about 30 episodes until Team Galactic appeared and who knows when we'll see Team Plasma for now.

I wish the evil teams from the games made appearances as often as they do in the games in the anime, and hopefully Ash battles N or Giovanni because he's never battled a boss before even though you battle them a few times in the games.

EVERYTHING bothers me, but mostly Ash. It gets even worse when you realize that, contrary to popular belief, he is NOT based on Red, but on the player. I'll say that again. Not the player character, the player.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. As far as the writers are concerned, this loser is you.

i was always annoyed that it seems like the only time potions/healing items are EVER used are anytime OUTSIDE of battle, why doesn't enyone think to throw a hyper potion on their dragonite mid-battle like in the games? why must the anime characters get a break from that annoyance?

and how do they make money for supplies? i've never once seen ash give/get money after a lose/win. PLOT HOLES, I HAZ THEM.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom