• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences between the Anime and games that bother you

You say that as if the anime prior to BW was accurate to the games. :lol:

I'm just saying this as the games are heavier on story than previous generations. Shouldn't the Anime do the same (especially by now).

I'm just saying this as the games are heavier on story than previous generations. Shouldn't the Anime do the same (especially by now).

I think you're expecting too much of a cartoon aimed at elementary schoolers and that can't go for one episode without at least three plotholes.

I think you're expecting too much of a cartoon aimed at elementary schoolers and that can't go for one episode without at least three plotholes.

There's no reason why it shouldn't.

There's no reason why it shouldn't.

*shrug* I agree that the anime should be loyal to the games. Instead we have... whatever we have. *shrug* All we can do is hope that it gets rebooted into starting from the beginning and actually following the games - and actually hire writers that care, but as long as people still watch this version nothing is gonna happen.

There are no game protagonists featured this gen. Kanto at least had Ash/Red, but this gen has NONE.

Satoshi is hardly based on Red (completely different outfit). And his current outfit is more similar to Touya's than Red's.

Satoshi is hardly based on Red (completely different outfit). And his current outfit is more similar to Touya's than Red's.
Satoshi's original outfit was pretty much Red's outfit, only with a blue coat of paint and a different hat symbol.

sample_7d4b4112091ab2ce5aa571eff98815d2.png

C'mon, you have to be blind... Satoshi looked more like Red from the games than Red from Pokemon Special!

Satoshi's DP outfit was basically Red's FRLG outfit with a coat of Diamond and Pearl paint (using Kouki's color scheme). His current outfit looks a lot like Touya's simply to reflect the Black and White games.

And just because they have different outfits doesn't mean he's not Red's anime counterpart. Takeshi and Kasumi have different outfits too, and a lot of the Kanto Gym Leaders have plenty of differences from their game counterparts.

A character whose hometown is Masara Town, who shares the same hairstyle as Red, a similar hat, jacket, and backpack, and whose rival is a character clearly based on Green. The basic origin and design makes it clear that he's based on Red.

Last edited:
Satoshi's original outfit was pretty much Red's outfit, only with a blue coat of paint and a different hat symbol.

I mean he isn't direcly based on PC artwork, contrary to Haruka and Hikari's anime counterparts. His BW outfit is more similar to its PC version than his OS outfit's similarity to its PC version:

Red_Green_Red.png
Anime_Ash.png

Black_White_Hilbert.png
Ash_BW.png

C'mon, you have to be blind... Satoshi looked more like Red than Red from Pokemon Special!

Except their names, there is no real similarity between them. I always think he looks like Gold...(Irony :-D)

Satoshi's DP outfit was basically Red's FRLG outfit with a coat of Diamond and Pearl paint (using Kouki's color scheme).

Why FRLG? It's mixing of Kouki's outfit with Satoshi's anime outfit.

His current outfit looks a lot like Touya's simply to reflect the Black and White games.

That's my point. If you could call him Red's anime counterpart, then you could call him Touya's anime counterpart as well. Because his BW outfit is more similar to Male PC in BW. Scott's argument in "There are no game protagonists featured this gen" isn't true at all.

And just because they have different outfits doesn't mean he's not Red's anime counterpart.

I never said that...

Takeshi and Kasumi have different outfits too, and a lot of the Kanto Gym Leaders have plenty of differences from their game counterparts.

I never said they are different from Satoshi.

I mean he isn't direcly based on PC artwork, contrary to Haruka and Hikari's anime counterparts. His BW outfit is more similar to its PC version than his OS outfit's similarity to its PC version:
That goes for every other Kanto character. The character designers were more loose and creative back then than they are now. If Red had an official name back in Gen I and the anime designers had the same mindset with the characters designs as they do now, Satoshi's outfit would be EXACTLY the same as Red's and he would have the same name as him.

I honestly don't see your point, since his BW outfit is also a recoloring of a game protagonist's outfit with a few differences... just like his original "Red" outfit. And since they were generally not very faithful with game designs during Generation I in the anime, it's a very unfair comparison.

Except their names, there is no real similarity between them. I always think he looks like Gold...(Irony :-D)
It's the bangs. lol

Why FRLG? It's mixing of Kouki's outfit with Satoshi's anime outfit.

278px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Red.png
412px-SatoshiDP.png

Look closely. It's basically the same outfit, only with Kouki's front design replacing the part that's supposed to be just a white line going down from the collar to the bottom, and with Kouki's pants to reflect the Diamond and Pearl games. The closed jacket, collar, undershirt, and short sleeves are taken directly from Red, only with different colors.

That's my point. If you could call him Red's anime counterpart, then you could call him Touya's anime counterpart as well. Because his BW outfit is more similar to Male PC in BW. Scott's argument in "There are no game protagonists featured this gen" isn't true at all.
That's like saying Takeshi is a counterpart to Kouki because he once wore an outfit inspired by Kouki's Platinum design.

Satoshi = Red, not Touya. Satoshi takes most of his origins from Generation I Red and it will stick with him, unlike his regional outfits which are temporary at best. Satoshi was never based on Touya, his clothes are.

I never said that...

I never said they are different from Satoshi.
I figured you were implying it.

Because in order to be an anime counterpart to a game character, you have to be based on them in some way, and you said he wasn't.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, nothing annoys me more than when the anime excludes game locations. This was probably my biggest gripe about Hoenn: many landmarks such as Mt. Pyre and the Sealed Chamber apparently don't exist in the anime. The Cave of Origin in particular was mentioned and then dropped altogether. This also applies to anything that isn't portrayed the same way, such as Fortree City.

Ugh, you just reminded me of the fact that everything in each anime region is mostly forest, forest, and more forest... Bleh.

-Evolution is bad. Because refusing to evolve cute Pokemon doesn't work in the games (Trust me, I tried it once), but it somehow works in the Anime. Pikachu and Piplup must not evolve, but when Charizard evolves, it suddenly turns on Ash. Heck, you even have that one B-Button Club in the one DP episode.
Isn't this more subjective, though(game wise)? I don't evolve my Pokemon all the time either because their lower forms just look cuter, and I didn't have problems with it. For example, I refuse to have my Mijumaru go beyond Futachimaru in Black. I've done so for earlier games as well (I personally couldn't stand the design for Togetic and never evolved it past Togepi), so imo, your claim that "refusing to evolve your cute Pokemon doesn't work" seems to be a player's personal choice or just the player's preference. There's no truth in these words one way or the other.

In all honesty, it never bothered me if (show wise) people didn't evolve their Pokemon, just as long as their higher levels are shown in some way for the audience's sake.

I wish you could get combo's like you do in the anime, things like flame ice and the like would be awesome in the games.

whyudunsaynothing.png
lolownedc.png

Unless you suck massive balls, evolving Pokemon doesn't really make a difference if you're just going through the main story of the games.

It's not like the anime's totally against evolution. There are plenty of evolved Pokemon, and the ones that don't usually don't want to do so in the first place. Unlike the games, the Pokemon in other canons actually have free wills of their own.

Why is everything forest in the anime? It seems improbable, and it certainly doesn't happen in the games like that.

Isn't this more subjective, though(game wise)?

It is true that some people don't evolve their pokemon, but the vast majority of game players do. The main gripe is how the anime downright villifies evolution in some cases. I can't say for sure in the later seasons since I don't watch it, but it did happen a lot in the first one. I can understand in Pikachu's case since early evolution doesn't limit the pokemon's moveset, but bulbasaur refusing to evolve and charmander going from a shy insecure pokemon to a rebellious jerk was just awful.

I mean I am kind of contradicting myself since in a way it is loyal to the games (pokemon becoming more aggressive as they evolve), but it took it unnecessarily far with pokemon that need to evolve to become stronger. Pokemon don't refuse to listen to their trainer when they evolve in the games (unless we're looking at traded pokemon over gym badges, but that was never something that could be adapted into an anime), I don't see why that had to happen in the anime.

I mean, Ash is supposed to want to be the best pokemon trainer, right? He isn't supposed to care about cuteness, just making sure that the pokemon are strong - with limitations, of course. It's not the issue that Ash refused to evolve his pokemon - it's that the pokemon themselves were unhappy with the idea of evolving. Or just never evolve in the first place.

Last edited:
Something that always bothered me is how healing isn't instantaneous.

Okay, I know the immediate answer to that is that it makes the anime a bit more realistic compared to the games, but this in turn makes trainers bigger d*cks. The anime probably has the most competitive battlers compared to other continuities, and I have an issue of all these people battling with their Pokemon when they have to heal up in real time. In severe cases, you have to operate on Pokemon. I'd feel very quickly uncomfortable battling if I have to rush them over to the ER every so often and worry my head off about their health. Hell, why do Pokemon like battling so much if they end up in ER every other day. I'd like fighting my ass off if I could heal in three seconds, but not if I needed an operation at least once a week.

Also, this also limits the story a lot too. The lack of instant healing is probably why the anime Battle Frontier was so watered down compared to the games. Hell, this is probably (partially) why we didn't get the Sinnoh Battle Frontier either.

Okay, I know the immediate answer to that is that it makes the anime a bit more realistic compared to the games, but this in turn makes trainers bigger d*cks. The anime probably has the most competitive battlers compared to other continuities, and I have an issue of all these people battling with their Pokemon when they have to heal up in real time. In severe cases, you have to operate on Pokemon. I'd feel very quickly uncomfortable battling if I have to rush them over to the ER every so often and worry my head off about their health. Hell, why do Pokemon like battling so much if they end up in ER every other day. I'd like fighting my ass off if I could heal in three seconds, but not if I needed an operation at least once a week.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if there were healing machines in the Anime but just for dramatic atmosphere when needed, it should take like a half-hour in real time or less. You know what I mean, right?

Also, this also limits the story a lot too. The lack of instant healing is probably why the anime Battle Frontier was so watered down compared to the games. Hell, this is probably (partially) why we didn't get the Sinnoh Battle Frontier either.

That's probably because game time is meant to be faster than what it actually seems. For example, a minute in the game is probably a couple of hours in real time or something.

It is true that some people don't evolve their pokemon, but the vast majority of game players do. The main gripe is how the anime downright villifies evolution in some cases. I can't say for sure in the later seasons since I don't watch it, but it did happen a lot in the first one. I can understand in Pikachu's case since early evolution doesn't limit the pokemon's moveset, but bulbasaur refusing to evolve and charmander going from a shy insecure pokemon to a rebellious jerk was just awful.
Now I liked the Charmander thing, but I thought there was a real reason behind it, though. It's been so long since I've seen it. Was it a badge issue, like in the game, where you can't control Pokemon up to a certain level if you don't have the right amount of badges? They could've been doing that and just chose Charmander since he was the meek one.

I really liked the Bulbasaur thing too. He liked himself the way he was.
I mean I am kind of contradicting myself since in a way it is loyal to the games (pokemon becoming more aggressive as they evolve), but it took it unnecessarily far with pokemon that need to evolve to become stronger. Pokemon don't refuse to listen to their trainer when they evolve in the games (unless we're looking at traded pokemon over gym badges, but that was never something that could be adapted into an anime), I don't see why that had to happen in the anime.

Unless it was, only indirectly. Why else would they have introduced it into the anime in general? If I'm not mistaken (since I haven't watched the show regularly since OI and until BW started up...almost), Ash/Satoshi has never had that prob with a Pokemon disobeying him.
I mean, Ash is supposed to want to be the best pokemon trainer, right? He isn't supposed to care about cuteness, just making sure that the pokemon are strong - with limitations, of course. It's not the issue that Ash refused to evolve his pokemon - it's that the pokemon themselves were unhappy with the idea of evolving. Or just never evolve in the first place.
I still don't have much of a prob with that, personally. If the Pokemon chooses not to. I think that would make him a good trainer, in that sense, because he's putting the feelings of his Pokemon first and how it'd be unfair to force them to evolve if they don't want to. Ash's character, to me, seems to view his Pokemon as friends as opposed to being pure tools for battling.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom