• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences between the Anime and games that bother you

They work hard to try to stick closely to the games?
Are you serious?

No. No they don't. When it's glaringly obvious that the writers don't play the games they are not trying hard enough.

Of course they work hard. I don't see how you can debate that.

And how do they not stick close to the games? They follow the plot and the game mechanics fairly well, especially in DP.

Of course they work hard. I don't see how you can debate that.

And how do they not stick close to the games? They follow the plot and the game mechanics fairly well, especially in DP.

Well I can't say for sure in later seasons but in the first season it was laughably bad.

- Leagues are nothing like in the games.
- Team Rocket is still around, if it was loyal to the games they would have been gone since Kanto.
- Game mechanics are all effed up. "aim for the horn" and "finish him with false swipe" are just some examples. Some I can understand omitting, such as levels and immediate healing potions, but there's no reason to screw up elemental weaknesses for no reason whatsoever.
- Again, I can't say for later seasons but there were plotholes the size of craters in each episode. At least two or three each.. Some elementary-schoolers can catch. I know I had major WTF moments about it when I was seven. Considering a bunch of people still hail S1 as the best season, I'm not sure I want to know what the rest look like.
- No change of protagonists, same guy each season. If it was loyal Ash would have been gone years ago.
- The fact that Ash has companions. There's none of that in the games.
- Team Rocket is absolutely nothing like it is in the games. either.

If you want an adaptation that does try to be loyal to the games get Pokemon Special. I personally think that it overcomplicates the plot, but you can tell the writers do play the games.

The pokemon anime meanwhile, can't even get basic elemental weaknesses and moves down right. They're putting effort into it? They are most certainly not.

Well of course Kanto was messed up and had bad game mechanics and plot holes and all that. But the writers have improved a lot since then, and it's not fair to say they're not putting an effort into it when you aren't even familiar with what's going on nowadays. They are much more consistent with types, abilities, moves and plots. I can't believe people still use "aim for the horn" as an example.

Personally, I would prefer that they keep doing what they do. That is, they should not be loyal to the games. Why? ecause we don't need to see the same stuff again after we have played through it.

They are putting an effort in the anime. Just because it isn't a complete adaptation of the games doesnt mean that they don't play the games or aren't putting effort into the anime.

I don't know about you but watching just one protagonist with no travelling companions would be very boring. They need human characters for more interaction.

I don't know about you but watching just one protagonist with no travelling companions would be very boring. They need human characters for more interaction.

I kinda prefer solo traveling with your Pokemon while meeting new people as well as your friends and rivals once in a while.

I personally think the writers' lack of consistency with type-matchups has more to do with the fact that they may forget such details or forget a Pokemon's secondary type or something or other than just changing for their own convenience. Or just didn't know how effective certain move types should be against certain types of Pokemon; they have seem to have been getting better and better at it with each new series after all.

One of my biggest issues i had with games is battling between pokemon which feels rather static.There is no dodging attacks between pokemon,with several items like superpotion,potions etc prolonging battle which feels like two boxer in ring taking hits to see who will end up as more resistant.

Thats one of things i like about anime with more life being added in pokemon battling as well pokemon which are normally at severe disadvantage in games having some reasonable chance to win with outcome of match depending more on pokemon experience and trainer skill than rather just on game mechanics and stats.

They work hard to try to stick closely to the games?
Are you serious?

No. No they don't. When it's glaringly obvious that the writers don't play the games they are not trying hard enough.

Actually to me its opposite,I think anime is sticking too much to games,with things becoming too predictable.Thats what i liked about original series with writers going more of their way having anime only regions like Orange Islands were,when characters werent replaced so often with new ones as well welcoming anime exclusive events or characters(like Paul for example)more.
In my opinion that added for bigger unpredictability since we had no idea what to expect from arcs or quests which dont exist in games being mainly product of writers creativity and imagination.

Nowdays anime seem to mirror games too much for my taste with several game characters being included following game plot more "toe to toe" compared to previous days.

I understand that some people want that anime stays more faithful to games which i respect,but in my case i welcome more when writers go of route a bit.

Last edited:
And then the ghost type. In the games, it's immune to only Normal and Fighting types to stay balenced, but in the Anime, it's the Have-Shit-Pass-Through-Your-Enemy type. Like the battle frontier episode with Ash in the rebuilt Viridian Gym. Iron Tail passes right through a ghost type Pokemon even though it's a Steel type movie
Well, in this case it does make more sense in the anime. I mean, think about it. You try to hit a ghost with a log and it passes through it, yet you hit it with an iron bar and it connects?

And by the way, what's a steel type movie? Is it like Iron Man or something?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom