• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Differences in versions

The dark lord trombonator

Yes, that's really my neck
Reaction score
OK, let's face it. The only reason that Nintendo releases two versions is so that they can have a slightly different plot and slightly different obtainable Pokémon, and thus earn more money - because, after all, most of us get both versions.

If I were Nintendo, I'd capitalize on this a bit more. Make the region that is home to GenV different in each game. This would ultimately affect the large plot of the games too.

For example, in Version One the area could be affected by a snowstorm (a la Platinum?) which causes little snow flurries, random chances of snow (and rain) in battle, snow banks on the side of the routes/in cities, and an abundance of ice Pokémon.

Conversely, Version Two is affected by a desert. Battles are occasionally affected by sandstorms (or bright sunshine), there are many version-exclusive ground types, and a big ol' desert in the middle of the region.

This would make for varied play, and a new gimmick that would possibly get people into the series/old people back into the series.

Now, some aspects would stay the same. The Gym Leaders, Elite Four, cities and towns and routes... it's the same region, after all. Just in two very different, parallel universes.

I don't care if people think this would be technically impossible. Let's get some discussion on the subject. Are there any other ideas that could liven up gameplay and result in two very distinct versions?

I have wanted this for 2 generations already, hope they make it, but I doubt it, for some reason.

I'd actually like this idea. Since in the past all the other games have had minor differences this could actually be worth it. Same region different climates. If this were to happen, I'd buy these both possibly.

This is genius, though it'd be more effort on Nintendo's part.

However, the problem I see with the desert/blizzard thing is what will be the 3rd version?

I kinda like the idea that someone posted on another thread a while back, with one version being set in the past and one beign set in the future, with both versions having unique pokemon due to extinctions/genetic engineering.

That way while most of the map would stay largely the same (but with building styles changed, say), certain specific features of it may be vastly different; what was a trainer-filled castle in the one version would be a ruin filled with ghost pokemon in the other, what was a forest may now be a city, and what was water route may now be a lake, a dam and a land route.

that would be pretty cool! very good idea!

my only hang up is that if it was two varying weather effects like a blizzard and a sandstorm, does that mean that in one version would only get ice/water types and in the other you would only get ground/fire?

See, RS had the right idea in changing the villains and stuff. That was a good plan and actually got me debating over which team I would enjoy fighting the most...

So yeah, they should put more differences in. And it's very possible to do the whole weather thing. They did it with the Lake of Rage after all. Good ideas.

I'm getting me a desert version. Because that means Trapinch will be in.

OK, let's face it. The only reason that Nintendo releases two versions is so that they can have a slightly different plot and slightly different obtainable Pokémon, and thus earn more money - because, after all, most of us get both versions

Let's not forget that its an excuse to release the third version which will unify both plots!

I agree with Ryuu, and I enjoy the fact that the multiple versions could work as parallel universes.

Giving the versions environmental differences takes away the repetitiveness of previous games, right? I think so.

Third version can have tropical forest?

Now this doesn't mean that each version ONLY has ground&fire / water&ice Pokémon. It just means that there are areas in which these are prominent. There'd still be a large number of other Pokémon, but in the areas which change depending on the version, these Pokémon would be prominent. I imagine a vast central area which can either be a snowy wilderness, or a dry desert depending on which game you've got.

Very nice idea. As was mentioned above, R/S was the best for version exclusive features. Other differences could include:

.Character appearance (jackets in the snow, robes in the sand)
.Starter pokémon
.HMs needed
.Transport (Snowmobile instead of bike :D)

Another example could be fossil pokémon, in the desert version they'd be dug up fossils, whilst in the snow version they'd be pokémon literally frozen in ice.

No thanks. That way I'd have to buy all 3 versions to fully experience it all.

A big no on that one.

This is an awesome idea, but it's be unfair for people without that much money to spend on DS games.

(like me D:)

OK, let's face it. The only reason that Nintendo releases two versions is so that they can have a slightly different plot and slightly different obtainable Pokémon, and thus earn more money - because, after all, most of us get both versions.

Well... A lot of this is untrue. Only Ruby/Sapphire had a different plot (slightly), and the reason that there are two versions is to encourage players to trade Pokemon, because that's what Tajiri originally intended the games to be about. Collecting

Now, some aspects would stay the same. The Gym Leaders, Elite Four, cities and towns and routes... it's the same region, after all. Just in two very different, parallel universes.

I think that things like Gym Leaders and the Elite Four's rosters would have to be slightly different, as to accommodate the games' type abundance.
And I think that if they ever did this, you should need to unlock trading and linking with the other version through a quest. The main story quest could focus on that for the first half or quarter.
Lol... The trading is making me think of Chrono Cross...

Very nice idea. As was mentioned above, R/S was the best for version exclusive features. Other differences could include:

.Character appearance (jackets in the snow, robes in the sand)
.Starter pokémon
.HMs needed
.Transport (Snowmobile instead of bike :D)

Another example could be fossil pokémon, in the desert version they'd be dug up fossils, whilst in the snow version they'd be pokémon literally frozen in ice.

I think that changing the starter Pokemon would mess with pattern that is quite successful, and not TERRIBLY intrusive. (Guess what? Instead of needing at least 2 game copies to get all the starters, you need to get 4!)
And I think that changing the HMs would also be foolish. I mean... The only time they've ever done it is in Gen IV with HGSS, and that's less than gracefully done. Those should probably just be left alone.

I think that changing the starter Pokemon would mess with pattern that is quite successful, and not TERRIBLY intrusive. (Guess what? Instead of needing at least 2 game copies to get all the starters, you need to get 4!)

You would still just need two versions, first start a new game on game 1 three times and trade to game 2, then trade all 4 (including the starter from game 2) to game 1, then start a new game on game 1 two more times.

And I think that changing the HMs would also be foolish. I mean... The only time they've ever done it is in Gen IV with HGSS, and that's less than gracefully done. Those should probably just be left alone.

All I meant by the HM change would be change say, defog into an ability that either clears fog in the snow version and sandstorms in the desert version, just small changes.

Also with the starter pokémon, I was thinking more along the lines of a starter pokémon in the fashion of yellow. For example you get an eevee starter in both games but in the sand version there's an exclusive eeveelution for the ground type and a... flying type for the snow one ^.^?

Either way, just throwing stuff out there.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom