• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Different Types of Conflicts

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I did some digging around looking into this and here is what I have come up with (and decided to share):
There are 6 different types of conflicts:
Man VS Self: This obviously sees the protagonist struggle with something internal, whether it's fear, self-doubt, or depression. This is an internal struggle.

Man VS Man: This type of conflict sees the protagonist struggle against another person. The other person may have a similar goal or wants to prevent the protagonist from achieving their goal. This is a very common type that is seen in a lot of stories.

Man VS Society: This type of conflict has the potential to grow from Man VS Man, if the opposing person is part of a group that is trying to stop the protagonist. The group can be an oppressive empire or simply a rival faction.

Man VS Nature: This type has the protagonist struggle against nature, whether it's a natural disaster or animals. This is seen in disaster films where the goal is to survive. Sure there are some that feature other types of conflict in addition to the Man VS Nature.

Man VS Machine: This can come in many forms. From robot overlords in "The Matrix" to simply a robot that can do the job better. This of course is seen in a lot of Science Fiction stories.

Man VS Fate/Supernatural: This has the protagonist struggle against a god or gods. It can also be a supernatural struggle. This can overlap with Man VS Man, and/or Man VS Self.
------------------------------
What are good/bad examples of each one?
What do you consider to be the easiest one to work with?

Last edited:
I don't think you can really create a comprehensive list of conflicts, but, I don't think it really matters, because thinking in this way is a good way of getting down the bones of a story. What is the story, well it's man vs nature; fill in who is the man and what is the nature to come up with a plot summary

Yeah. It can help you get the core of the story set. To use your example of Man VS Nature, it could be someone trying to survive a mega Earthquake. Or someone who is lost in the wilderness/forest and has to fight against wild animals and such to survive.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom