• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Difficulty Setting

Do you think they'll be a Difficulty Setting in USUM?

• Yes

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StandbyForBattle

Strongest Trainer
Reaction score
When it come to new generation games, like BW, XY, and SM, they always have easy difficulty, take XY for example, I bought the game a month ago, the game was too easy for me, In SM I did had a little challenge (involving with Totem pokemons like Wishwashi, Salazze, and Lurantis, but the rest of them are easy), also some of the battles, including Hau, Gladion, and Lusamine are easy. I'm thinking of the Difficulty Setting. The Difficulty Setting increase the Rivals Gym leader, Elite Four and Champion Level (Challenging Mode or Decrease the level (Easy Mode). The only game that had Difficulty Setting was B2W2, but the problem was you have to beat the game in order to access Unova Link, most people have to hack the game to turn on the difficulty setting. In USUM, when you begin a game, you have to choose you difficulty setting you want. Will they'll be a difficulty setting in the game, if so what are the difficulties you want?

Mines for example is Easy, Normal, Hard, and Extreme.

I don't think we'll be seeing difficulty settings ever again.

I also doubt we'll see them again, which is a real shame.

Though if we were to see them, I'd pick something more organic instead of just plain level increases.

Something that serves to give a higher challenge to older players without alienating the younger players, which Pokemon will always target first and foremost.

Something like a "Veteran" difficulty, that removes tutorials and intrusiveness, assuming the player already knows what they're doing, and giving opponents better teams. Definitely more work to go for, but not really a bad practice, IMO.

Again though, I highly doubt we'll see anything of the sort.

Doubtful, but I can hope. Disappointing that difficulty settings are not already a staple of the series. But I suppose I can live without it for now.

As most already said: I hope so, but I very much doubt it. Though I'd really love to hear a reason from GF why they did it only once (in a very badly executed way) and then never again :/

As most already said: I hope so, but I very much doubt it. Though I'd really love to hear a reason from GF why they did it only once (in a very badly executed way) and then never again :/

Gamefreak: "Not many really seemed to like the feature or use it so we decided not to give it another go."

They did it before, so it's not that they'd be trying a completely new feature and have difficulties with it. Surely, they'd be able to execute it.

I doubt they'll be in USUM, but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
Prettty much ^

Do I think we will see it in USUM? Ha ha.....no.

Do I want to see it in USUM (and every game that will come after them) ? Absolutely.

It still baffles me to no end why pokemon is the only franchise without multiple save files and one of the few without difficulty settings..literally this would solve ALL of their split audience issues and they wouldn't need to worry about "balancing the difficulty" ..

Nope! It's a feature that will remain B2W2-only. Game Freak is usually good at keeping features generation-only.

Prettty much ^

Do I think we will see it in USUM? Ha ha.....no.

Do I want to see it in USUM (and every game that will come after them) ? Absolutely.

It still baffles me to no end why pokemon is the only franchise without multiple save files and one of the few without difficulty settings..literally this would solve ALL of their split audience issues and they wouldn't need to worry about "balancing the difficulty" ..

Tbh, Pokemon is far from the only game/franchise with only one save file per game. I personally also don't mind, but there does seem to be demand and it's not like you're required to use all save files, so adding can hardly be an issue in that sense.

As for the difficulty settings, it really should become a staple of the series. I doubt we'll see it in USUM, but I'm not gonna complain if we do. I mean, I don't start up a pokemon game expecting it to be difficult and incredibly challenging, and I also realise as I've grown older I've come to better understand the mechanics and stuff, so it's not just the games themselves, but even then. And if they're worried about kids accidentally going hard mode and finding it too difficult, they could always implement an emergency difficulty switch or something. or let the game review (like if you lose or reset a lot let it offer to change the difficulty)

Tbh, Pokemon is far from the only game/franchise with only one save file per game. I personally also don't mind, but there does seem to be demand and it's not like you're required to use all save files, so adding can hardly be an issue in that sense.

As for the difficulty settings, it really should become a staple of the series. I doubt we'll see it in USUM, but I'm not gonna complain if we do. I mean, I don't start up a pokemon game expecting it to be difficult and incredibly challenging, and I also realise as I've grown older I've come to better understand the mechanics and stuff, so it's not just the games themselves, but even then. And if they're worried about kids accidentally going hard mode and finding it too difficult, they could always implement an emergency difficulty switch or something. or let the game review (like if you lose or reset a lot let it offer to change the difficulty)
Wellp, yeah, that much was exaggerated, but they're in the minority for sure..

Tbh reading the part about them being worried about kids accidentally goin hard mode and finding it too hard.. XD I laughed out loud at that...It's like....imagine that was actually a thing GF would think about....how dumb do today's children have to be to get to that level?... I mean, realistically, it sounds tragic to consider that such a scenario might be a thing nowadays..

Wellp, yeah, that much was exaggerated, but they're in the minority for sure..

Tbh reading the part about them being worried about kids accidentally goin hard mode and finding it too hard.. XD I laughed out loud at that...It's like....imagine that was actually a thing GF would think about....how dumb do today's children have to be to get to that level?... I mean, realistically, it sounds tragic to consider that such a scenario might be a thing nowadays..
You'd think kids aren't (and most are prolly smart enough to pick the proper setting) but this is GF we're talking about...

I actually never knew there existed a difficulty setting in a Pokémon game ever. What have I been missing all this time?

I think it's a pretty good idea. I'd love to be able to skip those wretched tutorials.

I actually never knew there existed a difficulty setting in a Pokémon game ever. What have I been missing all this time?

I think it's a pretty good idea. I'd love to be able to skip those wretched tutorials.
There was easy and challenge mode in Black2/White 2, that you could unlock only after you beat the games once and it was Easy mode in White2, challenge mode in Black 2.. It was gimmicky and annoyingly made, but the challenge mode itself was good content-wise

It would be cool to see, but if it isn't implemented well then I'd probably just end up ignoring this like I did last time. I really don't get why they made Easy/Challenge only available for the post game.

Um, maybe it's just me, but SuMo were a LARGE upgrade in terms of difficulty compared to XY and Gen V, so I'd be willing to wager than USUM don't even need them, but OFC, I'd love to see them implemented~

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom