• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Seasonal Discussions Digimon Adventure: discussion

Ep 20: This one was pretty good actually. The fight choreography was neat with WereGarurumon missile surfing and stuff, and Angemon's reveal was neat. Overall pretty neat. One this that does confuse me though, is where the fuck was Angemon actually being kept? He was apparently able to just, burst through the ground right where he needed to be? Like, what is the spatial relevance of this? Also rather disappointed that Velgemon just seems to like... Exist, with no relation to any spirits or anything.

That episode preview though, uhh, "A never-before-seen miracle befalls MetalGreymon". I swear to god if this is fucking WarGreymon

How long is this series going to be? Just asking because I'm interested in "betting here".
Hmm you know I'm not actually sure if we have a total episode count, I'll look that up
1603616060035.png
674138261672689684.png

YOU HAVE SIXTY SIX FUCKING EPISODES TO WORK WITH AND YOU CRAMMED ALL THE SUPER EVOLUTIONS IN BEFORE THE END OF EPISODE 15!? W-why? What is gained by front loading the first quarter with a bunch of shitty, rushed evolutions if you have a whole 66 episodes to spread things across? Hell that's 12 episodes more than the original series got! You could've made a great slow-burn story and instead you produced this!?

Ep 21: Yet again, I liked it. Good implementation of Takeru, the Physical World side is bringing things from the previously weird and out of place first 3 episodes back into relevance, and MetalGreymon getting a modification rather than an evolution is a cool, interesting new thing that's never really come up in a mainline series outside of DigiXros which offers some logistical issues that this sidesteps nicely. And the moment that triggered it was pretty fucking cool as well. Like, if that had actually been WarGreymon like I thought it'd be, I'd be annoyed by the horrific pacing, of course, but I also wouldn't have been upset that this was the way it happened. Also interested to see if that railgun is just a thing that MetalGreymon has now, or if it's some kind of "big moments only" thing that has to be triggered.
One thing I am slightly concerned about though is the preview giving the impression that WereGarurumon's gonna get his in the very next episode, implying that same annoying "One-Per-Episode Powerup Speedrun" tactic they used for the Super Evolutions. I hope I'm wrong, naturally, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Last edited:
Ep 22: I love Sagittarius Mode. There, I said it. It's hard to say much about an episode as generally competent as this one. The moments of Sagittarius Mode was good, and the character work was pretty neat.

Ep 23: I'll be honest, it's been a week, and I can barely remember any specifics about happened in this episode. It's just an episode playing itself up as a climax that immediately gets supplanted by the very next episode being the actual climax and is just extremely forgettable because of it. One thing that does annoy me though is that the efforts of the Tokyo Team are made completely pointless and immediately invalidated. They played a big part in beating NeoDevimon, but DarkKnightmon instantly upping the ante to DoneDevimon means that they didn't actually solve anything, making them feel entirely pointless in the grand scheme.

Ep 24: The choice of timing for this episode is just baffling. This is a 66 episode series, and yet Agumon just hit is final solo form (barring some truly unexpected surprises) right at the end of episode 24. Barely a third of the way through the series. Moreover MetalGreymon only just got Alterous Mode literally three episodes ago. Are we just supposed to stop caring about that now? What they're going to do for the rest of it is entirely beyond me.
All that said... I can't actually be that mad at a moment as fucking sick as that one was. It was fucking incredible in a bunch of ways, it just feels like the kind of climax that should've capped off a full arc, rather than just coming 6 episodes after the last one finished.
The choice of timing for evolution into Patamon was... Certainly a choice. Kinda killed the entire mood of the scene, really.

As a whole, I'm kinda disappointed Devimon went down like such a chump even after evolving twice. He never actually got to do anything, and we never really learned what he actually wanted out of anything. Just feels like a waste of a character.

Ep 24: The choice of timing for this episode is just baffling. This is a 66 episode series

Wait, where'd you hear that this was going to be 66 episodes? Is there a source confirming this? I never heard anything about Toei mentioning how many episodes it was going to have.

Wait, where'd you hear that this was going to be 66 episodes? Is there a source confirming this? I never heard anything about Toei mentioning how many episodes it was going to have.
The official Toei website has it listed as a 66 eps x 23 min series, so I can only assume that's the correct episode count.
DIGIMON ADVENTURE (2020) - Toei Animation
index.php

I have mixed feelings on the Devimon arc. In one hand all episodes follow the "Let's beat up the voiceless and personality-less villain of the week" formula, making it extremely tiring to see and at times predictable. But in the other hand it actually brought back some of the "strong sentimentalism" that has been missing, as we saw anger, tragedy, hope and braveness situations and TK and Tai really received some development. The subplot in the real world was great, I liked seeing Izzy in a leader role.

For the first time in the franchise I'm glad that Tai and Matt are the only ones with access to a special form, as I prefer that to sitting through another 6 weeks of redundancy.

Ep 25: So uhh, are we gonna talk about the fact that our heroes just slaughtered a swarm of Mamemon implied to be doing nothing except following their base instincts? Like, those suckers popped. They're dead. And they're implied to have no higher intelligence and are just reflexively attacking objects that stray too close to their storm. I know wild, animalistic Digimon being fought off and maybe even killed in extreme cases simply as part of survival isn't exactly new for the franchise, hell they kill a pair of wild Seadramon to avoid getting eaten in the very next episode, but seeing a swarm of non-malicious living creatures used as nothing more than tools to slow Eldoradimon's descent strikes me with a very odd energy that I don't quite think we were supposed to think about, and that I'm not sure was even considered as an angle when writing the episode. Be The Winners coming back after a decent absence was very welcome though, since it is the better evolution theme.

Ep 26: Ok, so I was inexplicably incredibly amused by Hikari just standing there all horror movie creepy child as the Tokyo Team worked on the situation. I am so incredibly angry about how they went back to the Digital World though. "But how do we even get back to the Digital World?" "My plot relevance is tingling." *Inexplicable ass-pull teleportation* It's just lazy fuckin' writing, man.

Ep 27: Hmmmmm... It definitely feels like they want us to think Leomon's dead, but I figure that without seeing it it didn't happen. The framing around it is all wrong. Pretty bangin' soundtrack when the Tortomon attack though. I adore Greymon and Garurumon's interaction when facing down Groundramon, and the strategy for beating Groundramon was fun (if a tad grotesque). Honestly, overall, a much better episode than I expected given the last two, with some truly stellar art in places.
unknown.png

(Ok so I think the model's a little off but the composition is bangin')

One thing I do want to mention that I've previously complained about, but think has come into a different focus in the past two episodes, along with the title of the next one (The Children's Fight For Survival), is the whole "Silent antagonist" thing. The new emphasis on "It's a Digimon-Eat-Digimon World out there" makes me feel like the actual intent with the random wild Digimon showing up, silently attacking, and being wiped out, is an emphasis on survival in a savage world, and every now and then a plot will wander in with an actual character or two to carry it. Rather than a place filled with funny lookin' people, this Digital World is a place filled with savage animals who want to eat you for sustenance. It's still an approach I'm personally not a fan of, but I'm now willing to cut the structure a bit of slack since it now feels more like an artistic direction for the series, and if approached properly can still carry a perfectly good character-focused story on the kids (which has been fairly unremarkable so far and I'm hoping it picks up). It's also something to set it apart from the original Adventure, which is nice.

Last edited:
Ep 28: The Voldramon fight was... A mixed bag. The fight itself sucked ass, the animation was incredibly limited and the fight literally just boiled down to "shoot gradually stronger balls/beams of energy until it's over" on both sides. On the other hand, I am adoring all of this build up to WarGreymon. We haven't actually gotten WarGreymon yet. We've gotten silhouettes, flashes of its power without ever actually properly producing the form. They're treating this as a big, dramatic thing, which, by all rights, it should be, and they're not just doing it like so many other forms in this series have been. I'm really excited to see the moment this triggers for real.
Also, I'm honestly just really glad Angemon isn't just vanishing for literally 20 episodes since his last appearance. Maybe he'll even evolve in something resembling a timely manner.
One more really cool thing I noticed: Those jaws that clamp shut during the MetalGreymon evolution sequence? That's Machinedramon, and I went back to check, they've always been Machinedramon. That evolution fuck up was dangled in front of our faces right from the start for anyone with a good enough eye to catch.
1610262365196.png

Ep 29: Jesus Christ... There's just something so raw and unsettling about seeing a Perfect Digimon just thoughtlessly obliterating a damn Baby.

Ep 30: Ohhhhh yeah. THIS IS THAT GOOD SHIT! The build-up, the animation on the sequence, the theme! All of WarGreymon was just great. Though, personally I would've chosen the climax of last episode for the timing, since the emotions were running so high with the Woodmon and Budmon throwing their cherry taps out onto Tankdramon, but overall still Very Good Shit.

The post-Devimon episodes were very meh. All of them were Greymon beating the Digimon of the Week over and over again. And I would have preferred WarGreymon to debut against Devimon than against one of these, I get the reference but it feels very anticlimatic. Also, I'm starting to dislike the "Real world is in trouble!" subplots, they were interesting at first but now the satellite thing feels like a rehash of the ship thing, and they will like excuses to give Izzy something to do since Tai is the only one who matters.

Things got somewhat better in these Early 2021 episodes, thanks to some focus on TK (WTF Pegasusmon appeared! I'm clueless as to why.)and Kari, but it still feels like Tai always has to be there in order to show his digievolution sequences over and over. So I'm not sure if I should feel optimistic or pessimistic, specially when the villain is extremely passive to the point you could say it still doesn't exist.

I enjoyed the hell out of those fillers. It feels like they hired new writers because the characters feel alive again and with very interesting personalities and bump off each other very well, they feel like new episodes from the classic series. Of course, I question if this point in the series was the right one to make them, and some were better than others (loved the Etemon one-it had some zany Original Series Pokemon vibes-, disliked the Nohemon one).

The MagnaAngemon and MachineDramon feel like a return to classic Adventure 2020 in that they had more action than characters, but they were still decent. Looking forward to the finale.

Also, I'm really enjoying Mimi's character. It's very unusual to see a character that's both bossy and emphatic at the same time, and it makes sense because her preparation as the future boss of her company.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'm absolutely loving this Digimon series. The latest episode was maybe my favorite of this entire reboot so far, since it was a perfect mix between action, story, heartfelt drama, music, beautiful visuals and character interactions.

Is this series flawed? Definitely. They've spent way too much time on Tai (although that was to be expected) and although the others get focus as well, I've defintely felt the favoritism the writers have towards Tai. The amount of episodes between WarGreymon's debut and MetalGarurumon's debut alone was pretty ridiculous, and Tai even got a second Mega inbetween, which was cool but also weird. Not to mention that MetalGarurumon's debut episode was pretty ridiculous compared to WarGreymon's. WarGreymon got an epic battle, while MetalGarurumon's episode felt more like filler. There also was a large period of fillers recently that felt like it dragged on forever. I don't mind fillers at all, and Digimon Adventure 2020's fillers have actually been pretty good and entertaining for the most part, but at a certain point I really wanted the story to progress.

All that being said, I've found that for me, the positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to this series. When the action kicks in, it kicks in good and I think there have been some fantastic episodes on that front. It's different than the original Digimon Adventure and takes a different approach, but I actually really appreciate that. That's what a reboot should do. There have also been some out-of-left field surprises here and there in regards to Digivolutions, which I think is great because it keeps the series from becoming stale and predictable. What I also really like is that this series utilizes the massive 1000+ Digimon roster and many Digimon from older series have appeared. There's so many Digimon now so that only makes sense, and I really like that they're not just using Digimon from the first two series. It gives some more obscure Digimon time to shine. The recent Nohemon episode even had two of the most obscure Digimon ever (Atamadekachimon and Minidekachimon), from some obscure fan design contest that took place ages ago!

All-in-all I still really look forward to each new episode each week, especially with the recent story developments. Adventure Tri. just ended up being a huge disappointment to me, so as a massive Digimon fan I'm just happy this series is working for me as much as it is.

I will comment on the final arcs first and in a later moment about the series as a whole.
The final battle with Milleniummon was meh. I liked the animation and the angels' role, but as the villain with the longest arc it didn't leave much of an impact nor it felt interesting in anyway.

Then it came the Crests Arc. On the good side, most episodes were great and showed actual development from the kids, including the relationship between Tai and Agumon. It's also great how they mostly reused the allies cast from the previous arc with some fun new additions. However, very few events felt connected to the main plot so it felt like a lot of filler (even with the Megas) and there being actual fillers on top of that didn't help. This would have worked well for a second or third arc but not for the end, as final arcs tend to be more dramatic and lore-driven.

The final battle was good. Honestly it's not that different from the Apocalymon battle and shares similar beats and ideas, and I liked that we saw an intense battle instead of an OHKNO. Negamon wasn't the most creative or memorable villain, but the at least it gave some meaning to the earlier Eyesmon and Algomon encounters and exposed the meaning of the Chosen Kids. The epilogue was rather generic, but I did not expected more.

So, like, I gotta say, it's kinda funny that my last comment on the series in this thread was "Oh damn that was fuckin' cool" (and to be fair it still is), and then I just stopped watching the series entirely (as you may have been able to tell at the time since I stopped keeping the thread title updated with the week's episode). Really, outside of certain key moments like WarGreymon it just kinda bored me. There was nothing really gripping or interesting going on in the long-term to keep me coming back week after week. Now that it's over I might go back and binge the rest of it from where I left off, but honestly that's still a pretty big maybe given the lack of impression the first half left on me. I will be giving Ghost Game its fair shot, though.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom