• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Disable: How does it work?

Bad_Wolf

Time Royalty of Gallifrey
Reaction score
Hi. So I was reading a Pokemon story, and in the story, Disable eventually wore off during battle. What I want to know is, how does Disable work in the games exactly? Does it also wear off eventually or does using it mean they can't use that move again until the battle is over?

In the games, Disable eventually wears off. While a move is Disabled, the Pokémon with Disable will fail if they try to use it again. Once Disable wears off, that Pokémon is then free to attempt Disable again.
I think in the older games, Disable worked on the most recently used move, but in the newer games, it works on a random move.

That was a brilliant explanation, thanks for your help, I appreciate it. :)
I don't really have any Pokemon that can use Disable in my games, so I didn't really know how the move worked.

In the games, Disable eventually wears off. While a move is Disabled, the Pokémon with Disable will fail if they try to use it again. Once Disable wears off, that Pokémon is then free to attempt Disable again.
I think in the older games, Disable worked on the most recently used move, but in the newer games, it works on a random move.
I think you have it backwards, in gen 1 it was random but after it's the most recent move. Unless they changed it again in gen VI or something.

Disable still disables the last used move as far as I remember. THere's a reason hearing the move makes me internally scream. xD Especially nowadays that I tend to not have multiple attacks of the same type in a pokemon's moveset.

"Drowzee used disable!" [move] has been disabled!" Me: GREAT THAT WAS MY ONLY SUPER EFFECT MOVE FOR YOU!"

Now I'm curious. If both Pokemon know Disable, is it possible for the other Pokemon to disable Disable? That sounds like it would be irritating.
And yeah, Disable is one of my least favorite moves, right up there with any switch-out moves like Roar or Dragon Tail. I'm honestly surprised that more NPCs don't teach their Pokemon Hidden Power, because I think that move is pretty useful and almost any Pokemon can use it. But then again, we wouldn't be able to tell what type the Pokemon's Hidden Power was, so we would be at a bit of a disadvantage. Apologies, I tend to ramble on quite a bit.

would be cool to get new moves of other types that would have the same affect like Disable but with 30% chance of activation and causing lets say damage.
Also other abilities then Cursed Body would be cool.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom