• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Disappeared SM characters

MarshiyanMisutaa

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
There is several SM characters that seems like recurring characters at first, but disappeared later without doing anything important. Such as:

James: Appeared in four episodes, never seen again after SM030, despite of Lusamine's recent appearance.
Suiren's Sisters: Few short appearances, disappeared after SM030.
Suiren's Mother: Only appeared in one short scene. Never seen again.
Kaki's Parents: Basically CotDs at this point.
Hoshi: Same as Suiren's sisters.
Mamane's Parents: Appeared few times, then disappeared same way.
Team Skull Trio: Seems dropped out of show without much ado.
Principal's Rokon/Vulpix: Nowhere to be seen.
Purin/Jigglypuff: Following her(?) return in Kanto, disappeared after one little cameo.

What do you think will happen to them? Will they appear again, even if few times? Is there anything plotwise important about them? Or they're just here to explain that where the cast's parents are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't James referenced in SM044? I feel like we'll probably see him again soon, perhaps in SM049? Maybe in a flashback?

The Skull trio's absence is very disappointing, I hope we see them again soon. But I feel like Team Skull as an organization might not show up for awhile (hopefully I'm wrong).

Just because they haven't shown up in a while doesn't mean they "disappeared". They'll likely show up again in time.

Problem with the family members is that they just don't have much to do. They're necessary supporting characters, it would've been weird to omit family members of the classmates completely, but now that they're there, there isn't much they can do but be background characters/offer support to their kid/sibling, etc.

The Skull trio will appear again when the story calls for them and when Skull as a whole will begin to play a bigger role (hopefully). I'm honestly okay with them not showing up recently, if they don't have anything important to contribute to the show they're nothing but villains of the day anyway.

Samson's Vulpix was likely just a plot gimmick to showcase regional differences. I doubt it was meant to play a significant role to begin with, but we may see it again in cameos.

I don't see much reason for any of the those characters (aside from maybe TS and James) to show up again. The majority of the characters you listed aren't even that relevant to the story and are bound to get around 3-10 episodes to appear at most.

Kiawe's parents and grandfather did briefly appear in a flashback in SM034. I'm sure we'll see most of them again. The only one I think might not appear again would be Lana's mum. I'd like to see Lana's father also, but at least we've seen her mother and not her father.

The parents & sisters mentioned are only meant to provide background and they aren't meant to affect the plot, as unlike AG, DP & XY, they have a "perfect" relationship with their children and doesn't seem to influence their goals much, just like Delia. They could get something nice later like her, but for now it's better to focus on Aether & everything.

It's very weird that they dropped Skull like that, It's been almost a year and they haven't got an episode focused on themselves.
I'd like to see Lana's father also, but at least we've seen her mother and not her father.

Personally, I'm ok with characters having disappeared parents, but I really want to know an explanation about what happened to them.

SM takes things really, really slowly. I'm pretty sure we'll see all those characters again eventually.
I think James and the Team Skull trio in particular will be relevant to the overarching plot.

The most you should expect from parents are name drops here and there. Lana's sisters were name dropped in the latest episodes. Only thing they could really do is help push specific character development and now that Lillie is the forefront going forward, most you'll get is James.

The relatives aren't especially important, so I'm not concerned.

The rest will reappear sooner or later. There's no need to get worked up and make mountains out of molehills.

Recurring characters can go a while between appearances in other sagas too. Heck, XY(&Z) was even worse than SM.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't consider any of these characters to have "disappeared." I actually think they've been used pretty well. There really isn't a reason for family members (or Hobbes) to appear super frequently, unless the storyline calls for it. I would much rather them appear sparingly than be shoehorned into episodes with no purpose.

Kind of the same with Principal Oak's Vulpix. Principal Oak isn't in every single episode so there's no reason for his Vulpix to be either. The main purpose of his Vulpix was to show the difference between the regular and Alola form anyway, so I'm actually impressed it has appeared in episodes since it hatched.

Team Skull is really the only one who I guess you could wonder why they don't appear more frequently, although truthfully I don't think it's much to overthink. I do believe (and hope) the writers have something up their sleeves for Team Skull, and that trio will make more appearances in the future, possibly with other members of the organization (still hoping for Guzma and Plumeria here).

Honestly, I think SM has done a good job of handling recurring characters. I'm always pleasantly surprised by their appearances, particularly the family members.

I guess we can take Hobbes off the list, seeing as he will appear in the next episode.

I guess Jigglypuff is on the list.
Just because Jigglypuff haven't appeared in 5 episodes, doesn't mean they "forgot" her. The writers haven't gotten a chance to put her into an episode without making it pointless, weird, out of nowhere, and out of place.

The writers haven't gotten a chance to put her into an episode without making it pointless, weird, out of nowhere, and out of place.
But isn't that basically how Jigglypuff was managed through most of her OS appearances?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm glad they're exercising restraint with her this time around.

I miss gym leaders in Alola, did someone see any candidates?

Jigglypuff had many long absenses during Johto, I'm sure she will come back eventually.

I miss gym leaders in Alola, did someone see any candidates?

Maybe they could bring back a forgotten Gym Leader to promote you-know-what.

And now that you mention it, Kukui will need some help with the league. It's about time they bring back Charles Goodshow, his VA is still alive and active. But I'm getting off topic...

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom