• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

discuss your favorite (or least favorite) characters!

Reaction score
it seems there's not a lot of threads, if any, for character discussion and i Really Like discussing characters and i am sure many people on here do also. so yeah! go absolutely ham talking about characters you think about a lot, and give thoughts on other people's thoughts! you don't have to spoiler btw i'm just doing it because i have like 4 different characters i wanna talk about right now and if i can get the words out i will be writing out a LOT about them, as in like several paragraphs. if you're not sure where to start, here's a few prompts on things to talk about! you don't have to touch on these ofc, they're just potential starting points
  • what's your favorite/least favorite thing about them and why?
  • if they have multiple versions (for instance say a character appears both in the games and pokespe), which one is your favorite? why?
  • is there anything about them you think could have been done better?
  • do you have any headcanons about them? what are they?
as i said i have like, four different characters to talk about here, even split between genuinely really liking them and hating them as a person but still thinking they're a good villain/finding them interesting. i am sure it will be very obvious what my favorite generation and even plotline is by this alone probably.

OUGHHUHUHUH LILLIE... she has been rotating in my mind nonstop literally ever since i watched the sun/moon anime ngl. i think at some point i could genuinely point to some things that are like "oh yeah she is ABSOLUTELY autistic coded" but i kind of. forgot what they were but that won't stop me from going "yeah she's autistic" tbh. i cannot say why exactly it is i latched onto her so hard but i sure did!!

i think in general like. MASSIVE somewhat ominous energy coming off her i think idk how to describe it but like. ok you know the old covers for the first warrior cats arc? those phenomenal little paintings that i honestly feel like i'd see in my grandma's house or something like that? it's a bit like that, and also if you've ever heard the album lookaftering the overall sound of it also has her vibes if that makes sense, even if the lyrics don't match up (aside from brother that one kind of checks out actually). like... idk man it's that serene yet haunting feel, i remember ghost girls used to be a common point of discussion in the pokemon fandom and i think lillie is the true ghost girl of gen 7 if that makes sense. human equivalent of when cats get startled and do the thing where their fur stands on end also. does that make sense i hope it makes sense it is weirdly hard explaining my thoughts on lillie.

honestly, like, when it comes to the animeverse... she deserved better. she deserved SO much better. probably the most fucked up thing about that whole arc imo is the fact that not much really came out of it. sure, lillie got over her fear of touching pokemon, but that very much didn't require.. all of that to happen. people didn't find out about what was happening at aether. faba practically got away with it, although a demotion absolutely would suck for a guy like him, but i'll talk about him later. but like. yeah man the fact that lillie just had to accept that things weren't going to change, that she never really got the chance to fight back, the fact that the only option was to forgive and forget.. it hurts a lot, hell maybe that's part of the reason i latched onto her so hard. that's probably the best place to end this one before things get too personal, probably. but yes, the way i see it the way things went in the anime almost feels like a bad ending in a way, and hopefully reading my thoughts on gladion and lusamine that picture will start to come together.

ALRIGHT SO. LAST ONE I'M WRITING! WE'RE ALMOST DONE WITH THIS TITAN OF A THREAD-STARTER! upon thinking. hm i might not have nearly as much to say on gladion as the other 3 characters here but whatever! whatever! i'm so close i can do this AHEM. honestly i do not know what it is that made me latch onto gladion it just kind of Happened at some point and i'm not quite sure when, late 2021 if my memory serves correct. i'll start simple here, i think a pretty common misunderstanding i see about gladion is just boiling him down to "haha emo" which like. ok i will admit "go cry emo boy" is always super funny to me but like.. come on after literally everything he's been through it's like.. GEE. I WONDER IF THERE IS A DEEPER REASONING FOR HIM BEING LIKE THAT! but also sometimes it's like i see people go "haha this guy listens to my chemical romance" and i'm like no this is the kind of guy to be like "oh yeah i listen to pretty niche genres" and then tell you about scunchwave or sewer pop or some shit like that and i mean that in a good way. so like yeah varying levels of seriousness on my end i guess

also like.. the weird thing is like, i'm not a huge fan of any of the variations of him? original sun/moon games probably did him the best i just don't really vibe with it too much for whatever reason, obviously animeverse is what initially got hyperfixated on so i'm obviously gonna think about it way more but also i feel like he still lost a lot as a result of the choice to redeem lusamine, and i remember there's one line where lillie mentions he left like half a year ago which makes his entire deal outright baffling, and then pokespe is like. i go "yeah my faves should get to commit crimes" and i guess the monkey's paw curled on this one because now we have "gladion beats the shit out of someone but it's not like faba or lusamine it's just kiawe who absolutely did not deserve that" and also a line to rival james' infamous "let's send those whining women back to the dark age" and i'm just. not like this man granted i never read All of sun/moon pokespe because in general it just felt painfully gritty and boring BUT!!! we are talking about gladion here ahem ahem.

anyway so i mentioned that the way things went in the animeverse almost feels like a bad ending for gladion, and i'll admit that moreso applies to gladion. probably the most immediately Off thing i feel is seeing him actively work with aether during the necrozma arc. sure, the original sun/moon games had the whole thing of him taking over as aether president (which is an entire other can of worms but for now i'll just say yeah that was kind of fucked to say the least), but seeing him act under the orders of the people he tried so hard to escape from, when i first thought about it in hindsight all i could think is that it all just feels horribly, horribly wrong. really, thinking on it this kind of applies to lillie too, but it definitely feels more blatantly off with gladion considering he seems like the last person who'd willingly ally with aether.

I'M FINALLY DOING IT HUH. I'M FINALLY TALKING ABOUT FABA. okay so as is probably obvious. this man fills me with an incomprehensible amount of rage. so half slamming my fists on my nonexistent desk half genuine character discussion! i feel like talking about the actually (hopefully) comprehensible stuff first though because i do genuinely have some thoughts on this guy that aren't just biting and killing!

i think at the core of this guy is someone who, above all else, strives for power over others. his obsession with status, of being so close to the top of aether, it all comes down to people working under him. really, that obsession with status ends up being what fuels a lot of his actions i feel like. it's always about either getting higher or making sure he doesn't lose that status, and as we've seen he will stop at nothing to do either of those, and this applies to all canons, although the original sun/moon doesn't really show it much. siding with rainbow rocket, making sure nobody ever found out about that incident with nihilego, fueling lusamine's obsession with ultra beasts to get her out of the picture, all of it was for status.

in addition, while faba's consistent attitude of "fuck them kids" is easy to mistake for just "look at this grumpy old guy" and hell, honestly that might have been the intention, i feel like it actually ends up being a neat little example of a concept i feel is core to the series, that experience of being a kid and seeing adults look down upon you and how in the pokemon world you can finally prove yourself to be just as capable. and i think that's why he hates kids so much, because they don't respect his authority. sure with some aether employee, it's pretty easy to threaten them considering their jobs are at stake, but what the hell do you do when some kid with a swellow or a torracat or even a simple butterfree shows up? whether you're a kid or an adult, everyone's equal in a pokemon battle, that's how it works in the pokemon world.

i'll cap this one off with a quote from a.. let's just say unlikely source that just kind of gives faba vibes: "...and then you finally get to decide who lives and dies! It's the day that no one will ssee what's behind your curtain in the back office, where that disgusting metallic smell always erodes from, eroding, eroding your entire office." (typo is part of the quote don't worry about it)

now. with all that said. this motherfucker ABSOLUTELY does nfts lmao

otherwise known as quite possibly the most ?????-ly handled characters in the series! god uh i think most of us can agree her character was a trainwreck but it's a trainwreck that i've ended up finding really interesting. i think i've actually talked about my thoughts on animeverse lusamine before, lemme quote that actually
anyway i'm not sure if this is like. Big controversial statement but as far as i know i'm like the only one who really thinks this but honestly. while she's obviously nowhere NEAR her game counterpart i feel like animeverse lusamine still Kinda Sucks. obviously the clefairy thing was kind of "eh. okay i guess" and very much not a good way of introducing the conflict between lillie and loser mean but like. ok so i'm probably taking the funny pokemon show way too personally but there's a few things that definitely rubbed me the wrong way:
  • the beginning of SM048. i don't think i've seen anyone bring this up but like. the absolute disrespect for lillie's boundaries in this scene alone says a lot, i feel
  • she literally did not do shit about faba after everything he fucking did, although honestly this is just a questionable move in general considering he almost got her ass killed too it wasn't just lillie and gladion he fucked up
  • also like. gladion was right it WAS weird how she didn't think anything of lillie suddenly being traumatized, certainly you'd think if she's fine with having her child recorded without consent that lusamine would have atleast CONSIDERED checking to make sure everything's okay
of course, this is not all i have to say about her! for as much shit as i give animeverse lusamine.... dear god pokespe somehow managed to do even worse. because with the animeverse, you can tell they were TRYING to make lusamine a good person, as i said i'm probably just taking some of her actions far too personally. but pokespe... they showed how horrible of a person lusamine was and then they decided to go "no, she was FINE actually it was all this other guy's fault!!" and as you can tell i very much do think faba is a terrible person pokespe included but the way they just completely dropped the ball with lusamine is just... bizarre. they were doing so well and then it just fell apart right then and there.

of course, i do think there was potential with lusamine! the anime absolutely could've succeeded in making her a bad person without being quite as dark as the games, having a much more mundane kind of terrible absolutely could have worked! the manga (and anime) could have had both her and faba as villains! i'm honestly not even sure what exactly happened, if there were enough people stanning lusamine for tpc to go back on all of this i certainly never heard about those people.

to end this, a more positive thing to talk about and what i mean when i say i do find her character kind of interesting: so there's this little itch.io horror game called lethargy hill, right? i heard about it from this one video essay about it and 3 other games it was released alongside for halloween, and since it's very much something you can get the full experience out of by watching it on youtube, i went and checked it out. if you're interested, be warned there's a bunch of somewhat gorey descriptions and also sudden loud noises a bit before 12 minutes in, but anyway let me get to actually talking about this.

lethargy hill, more specifically the character only referred to once as "the matriarch", gives me a lot of lusamine vibes. the story revolves around this character deciding they want company, and so they build a family out of whatever materials are nearby. a husband to "shuffle around those hallways at nights, making sure doors were kept locked, scraping his feet along the carpet and sobbing gently into the silence", a sister who would "shriek and make her life worse, press her face against the windows and fill the rooms with jealous looks", and a son and daughter who would either "love each other and hate her, or love her and hate each other", both of those options the matriarch is fine with. normal family things yaknow. but anyway, once it's all complete, she quickly grows tired of this family she's created. the husband roams the house, doing the same motions over and over again, but i find what happens with the other three particularly interesting.

the sister begins to assert herself, not content to simply observe and hate from afar, but more importantly, she and the daughter actually find happiness, as the game says, "they had so much in common, after all - they were both made of dead things, they were both locked out." the matriarch despises this. “You’re supposed to make my daughter hate me,” she thought, “but instead you’ve made her love you, and that’s a whole different story.” but there's still her son, right? the "only one that truly loved her, that did anything right". but, being made of blood, he was fragile, and constantly losing a bit of himself. he wouldn't last for long. and so the matriarch kills all of them, one by one, leaving her alone again, alone and unable to do anything but wait for someone to come.

now, i know that just seemed like a plot summary, but i swear it's important. it does parallel the aether family a bit, doesn't it? it's not one-to-one of course, notably with the absence of any parallel to the sister, but at the very least the vibes are similar, if that makes sense. the way this family was brought down simply for not being what they were supposed to be, the way the daughter and sister were not allowed to be happy, the way the son was killed before he could become "ruined". i think the following quote puts it best, hopefully.

"She hated her family. They weren’t what she wanted."

fun fact, i wrote literally all four of these out of order. wrote lusamine first, then lillie, then faba, and then lastly gladion.

My favorite Pokémon character ever is Tabitha from Team Magma. My favorite version of him is the ORAS one because he has so much personality in the game. When I talk about Tabitha, it is always the ORAS version because it is my favorite version of the character. My favorite things about him are his personality and design!! I wish that he had more of a backstory and more appearances in other Pokémon media though. My headcanon for Tabitha is that he is bi.

I'm on the fence on who's my favorite of any archetype of any generation but I'll talk about some characters I found interesting for this post.

Hunter J: I really like the idea of Hunter J and I like the execution of her in DP for the most part. It's not common for Pokemon to get an antagonistic character as ruthless and effective as her. Her ultimate goal and profession of just stealing Pokemon to make money on the black market honestly makes her more menacing for how mundane and believable it is. It's great that she appears during the legendary climax of DP with a relevant role but I felt that she still had more potential like her becoming a main antagonist in a later generation in her own arc when things get slow and we need filler until the next batch of games come out.

Paul: I feel the Pokemon anime has an ironically troublesome history with the archetype their games made popular. Paul was different though, he was a rival who not only challenged Ash on a physical level but on a mental and philosophical level. He was stronger most of the time on the battlefield but his way of doing everything was the complete opposite of what Ash does. He still is one of if not the best rivals in the series but he still had problems (or more accurately the writers had problems). The rivalry felt very lopsided and confused at many points. We're supposed to side with Ash but Paul consistently did better than him for most of the season and some of his more unsavory actions are oddly overlooked by people who aren't in Ash's social circle. The attempt at making Paul's methods land in the gray area felt like Marvel's Civil War comic in how confused it is.

Words cannot describe how much I detest Marlon. He is one of, if not the biggest, hypocrites I have seen in a handheld game.

Before challenging him, it's already learned that he's totally okay with a group of terrorists shooting ice bombs throughout Northern Unova. Why? The ocean accepts all rivers, according to Marlon. Also, it should be pointed out that he is never seen wearing a shirt. Like, at any point in the game. Cool, looks like we got a hippie on our hands.

Then, after you beat him you do 5 hours worth of gameplay just chasing down Team Plasma and breaking into the airship. Sometime in that time frame, you see Marlon just strutting off the boat like he got a promotion. Hugh asks him what just took place, and Marlon's like "Oh yeah those Team Plasma dudes? Yeah they seem chill but y'all asked me to beat them up so I did." Uhhh... What? This guy was just all "everyone's a winner, everything's chill" but the second he gets word of something, not even the reasoning of it, he goes and fullfills that one person's wishes. Does he even have a specific goal, or a specific code of morals? I don't see him being in a committed relationship, that's for sure.

Marlon, honestly, just do something without being asked too for once. Do something for yourself.

Lyra. I don't outright despise her, but honestly I think Kris's design was much cooler (who cares if it was dated?) and was disappointed to see that they completely did away with her in HGSS (only to be replaced by some annoying overalls-wearing chick, mind you).

Also, apparently one speed-running strategy in HGSS is to play as Lyra because otherwise you'll have to sit through her longer monologue if you pick Ethan/Gold instead.

to be honest, i'm not very big on analyzing the pokemon cast (mostly because i don't watch the anime that much and the games can only do so much fleshing out) and most of my favorite cahracters are my favorites mostly due to their vibes sooooo. sorry this isn't gonna be a huge character exploration.

probably my favorite pokemon character is allister. i love love love his design, i find the concept of an extremely shy child being a gym leader, especially in galar where gym leaders are the most famous people in the world over there, very interesting and fun. his anxiety is also something that i can relate too, and i find it kind of beautiful that he can find comfort in the macabre. also ghost types are fun.

lillie is probably the most well written character in the games. pokemon isn't really known for its compelling story, but sun and moon had an honestly amazing story centered on a broken family (which isn't really something i ever expected being in a pokemon game), and lillie was truly the star of the show. the development she had was beautiful.

n gets a special mention, i'm not gonna explain why because i'm sure you know.

my favorite evil team leader is definitely guzma (can you tell i like sun and moon), i find his motivations very sympathetic, and he started a trend where evil teams have more understandable and sympathetic motivations then just "destroy world and cause havoc". he just wanted to dismantle a systeam that destroyed his and many others' dreams.

as for least favorite, lysandre. fuck lysandre.

My least favorite character in Pokemon is Karen of the Johto Elite Four.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

lol nice job spreading misinformation to millions of Pokemon players. Proves why you are only an Elite Four and not anywhere far beyond a Champion :^). I personally don't like how a sheer amount of players find this unrealistic quote influential.

Thankfully someone in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have debunked it

and another person in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire even notes out how powerful people really are. You have to beat the Champion to try out the Battle Institute, the Battle Institute is held in several regions, meaning there are many trainers stronger than Champions. You can even find a lady in the Battle Institute responding to her attempt at it.
20230420_022654.jpg

A contender for least favorite Pokemon character is Melli. He was awfully annoying, but I'm more light on this because his annoyance was intentional. If being annoying was his job as a character, he's an amazing character.

My favorite character in the series is probably Zinnia. She gave pieces of epic Rayquaza lore, went out of her way to summon it in order to save two worlds, even gave direct information about Mega Evolution, how it was caused, and what other wacky things its energy is capable of. Apparently Mega Evolution energy can create distortions enabling people to see alternate universes. For an ingame character this is all great. I'm a fan of Pokemon lore, and Zinnia gave us some of the biggest breakthroughs of lore in the series. I can respect that.

Another candidate is Arceus, from Legends Arceus. It was handled quite well, chucking you from a space-time rift into Hisui. I believe through its actions, Arceus did this because it wanted to see another human go on an adventure, travel with Pokemon, bond with Pokemon through battle, overcome challenges, and become heroes/heroines of their region, just like in every Pokemon game. Arceus makes it clear that it favors humans and Pokemon bonding as well as being focused on battles, as it requested you seek out all Pokemon, accepted rematches whenever you wanted, and even encouraged you to try out a battle challenge hosted by it itself. Insane. It never even mentioned Volo or Giratina. Arceus defines the entire nature of Pokemon right here and indirectly explains why the entire series works the way it does through its actions. It did its job as the Pokemon god.

Last edited:
favorite? silver. people sometimes act like neglect is a lesser form of abuse. silver proves it isn't, and just what powerful negative effects it can have on children. his character development is subtle but wonderful, and his masters ex iteration is... perfect lmao. it's probably me projecting but i love the hc/theory that he's bisexual, i think he's so cute with the mc
i also love guzma and find him relatable. i firmly believe he's the best written team leader in the series. penny is also awesome. n, arven, and lillie are some of my other favorites. oh fuck it, toss marnie in there too, she's cool.
so... my top ten ordered is probably:
1. silver
2. guzma
3. penny
4. n
5. lillie
6. arven
7. marnie
8. steven
9. zinnia
10. toss-up between sonia and bede
i guess i lean towards characters from newer gens but that's probably because it's easier to flesh them out with more advanced games i guess.
my least favorite is mindy probably lysandre as well. to be honest, there aren't very many human characters i hate or even dislike at all. (like, i hate ghetsis as a person, but he's a good character, so i dont HATE hate him)

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom