• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Discussing the identities of the PWC Master Eight

Reaction score
There are three confirmed members: Leon (#1), Lance (#2), and Raihan (#7).

If the remaining anime champions are present (Stephen, Cynthia, Alder, Diantha) that would leave one unknown slot (unless both Wallace and Stephen are there). Of course it's unconfirmed the champions are all present.

So, what theories or hopes do you have for the top entrants of the Pokémon World Championship/Coronation?

Personally I'd like to see Giovanni in there, but I admit I feel a little uncertain on the chances.

I think that besides the confirmed ones, the remaining Champions are also to be present.

About the remaining slot, huh. I mean, it can be anyone really. Maybe an anime-og character?

I honestly think they are leaving us in dark not only to spark interest, but I do think they themselves don't know yet lol.

Alright, now hear me out *puts on tinfoil hat*:

1619662905558.png

This is, of course, assuming that the silhouettes are not random, which they easily could be lul

I'm seconding Giovanni. It might be a little implausible but I think it could work out to be really really interesting.
I might not understand the hype for Cynthia fully, but her chances of showing up are more than good so I'll place a bet on her too. Also I'm just gonna say Ritchie because why not.

Alright, now hear me out *puts on tinfoil hat*:
Caitlin and/or Lucian would actually be pretty cool to see IMO, even if the silhouettes are just random. :unsure:

I don't think any of the Elite Four are gonna be among the Masters 8. It's far more likely that Raihan aside (who according to the games is strong enough to become a Champion if he were to go to any of the other regions), they'll all be Champions. That means that the remaining five are:
  • Cynthia (and she's probably the most likely to be here even if my assumption that the Masters 8 are all Champions turns out to be incorrect, since there are two Sinnoh-focused games coming up and what better way to create hype than to have the Sinnoh Champion play a prominent role in Journeys)
  • Steven
  • Alder
  • Diantha
  • ...actually turns out that there aren't even enough Champions, so there's an unknown spot left, lol (yes, Wallace exists in the anime, but he's framed as more of a Contest Champion, meaning his efforts are focused in a completely different Pokecareer and thus likely wouldn't even participate in the PWC). My personal bet is on Piers, since in the games he's skilled enough to give Raihan a tough time despite deliberately fighting with a handicap of not using Dynamax. Other possibilities include Mustard or Peony, but since both are framed as being retired they're imo less likely than Piers. Or it could be a complete wildcard like some are speculating, who knows inb4itturnsouttobeVictor,Gloria,orHop.

There have been many interesting responses so far!

Some quick thoughts:
*I wonder how much stock we can put in the silhouettes that haven't been confirmed, though.

*Mustard and Peony are interesting options--the anime has juggled characters roles around before (Gary never becoming champion is an obvious one) so I can see one of them being un-retired for the anime, though I'm not sure how likely it is.

*Brandon? We could possible see Ash finally battle his full Regi team. Unfortnately AG is in an awkward spot where it was long ago but lacks OS nostalgia and does not have a remake coming out since that occured during gen 6 (and since the BF wasn't in OR/AS they would be unlikely to use a character from it to promote the release).

*And of course there's the chance of an anime OC, either someone entirely new or a pre-existing one. Looking at a few preexisting ones:
1: OI Drake is technically another champion but I suspect he'll never, ever be mentioned again. I'm not sure his name has even been so much as whispered in the series after the OI ended.
2: Paul is really popular and connected to Gen IV, and both major upcoming releases are set in Sinnoh. Not sure I can see them pushing him to that tier, but I think Cynthia made some comment about him and Ash making it to the champion league soon (though considering there was about a decade ago and Ash still hasn't entered a champion league her judgement might be flawed).
3: League kickers. Going down the list in order:
Richie--Kanto nostalgia gives him an advantage, and unlike the others he appeared in multiple series'.
Harrison--no particular reason to bring him back, but does have OS notalgia going for him, if a bit weaker due to Johto instead of Kanto
Tyson--no particular reason to bring him back, no OS notalgia, no plot importance.
Tobias--connected to gen 4, but not very popular. Basically a plot device.
Cameron--like Tyson it's hard to think of any particular reason for it to be him.
Alain--league kicker who was by far the most important to the plot, most recent one, they might want to have Greninja come back (since it was on that early art for the series) and settle things with him.

I dunno, Richie and Alain feel like the most likely kicker, but I don't put high odds on either one.

The silhouettes of everyone besides the 3 boys are undefined enough that they could be basically anyone. That being said, the one striking a pose with their hips is almost certainly a female, and I could see Cynthia definitely filling that role. The other silhouette with their fist raised also feels feminine to me, so maybe that's another girl. Honestly, besides Cynthia and maybe Steven, I feel like the other Master 8 will be anime-exclusive characters. I'd like at least one of them to be that.

Had a bit of WMG talk and discuss about the idea on Tv Tropes. Posting that conv now.

The top eight trainers in the World Coronation Series so far only have the first, second, and seventh-ranked trainers identified (as of 3/9/21): Leon, Lance, and Raihan. Possible identities for the others include the other Champions.

In fact, a somewhat 'cheap' listing could be listing them in generation order as the first and seventh gens have 'the player/rival' as the champion, thus making it

1: Leon 2: Lance 3: Steven 4: Cynthia 5: Alder 6: Diantha 7: Raihan 8: ?

(Due to their statuses Gary and Iris probably do not fit in the list)

While fans will fiercely debate how right or wrong Steven ranking above Cynthia is it, of course, not the only way to list them. It's just the laziest way to make a theme out of it.

The position of eighth could easily be another Galarian character, possibly Piers given how close he was in skill to Raihan in-game and maximizing the current-gen advertisement. Wallace as a Contest-Champion who was implied to have lost the title to Steven could also be a candidate.

A Frontier Brain like Palmer, Brandon, or Anabel could also work.

The fact that Melony has never lost a battle against Raihan and he's in the Masters's Eight, she could be a candidate.

Or basically the champs plus one of Piers/Palmer/Brandon/Anabel/Melony.

im far from one of cynthias most devoted fans (i casually like her) but she HAS to be in here considering sinnoh remakes are a thing and the anime has a habit of promoting recent games through the anime (like the terrible hgss arc in ap, all the hoenn love in xy, and kanto pandering the beginning in ag even) so it would be a missed opportunity to forget her. also shes said to be really strong so theres the in lore reason i guess

but who else?? it would be really fun to see one of ashs old rivals....... this is a pipe dream but i really wanna see paul because sinnoh promotion but remeber how cynthia teased us at the end of the series with her vague comment of how ash and paul could rise to the champion league or something?? i cant remember her exact words but this is basically it!! i wanna see how ash and paul interact now that paul respects ashs training style and they can have their battle they promised each other. infernape shenanigans too??

misc picks for no reason: diantha because shes a champion and was shown a few times to mean serious business and im the only person in the world who can say i really like her. maybe piers (or whatever that emo inkling guys name is i havent played swsh) for galar rep and the fact that he apparently gives raihan a hard time even with a handicap of no dynamax?? also steven because i am a MASSIVE simp for the dude mega evo specials fed me well but damn it i need more husbando

but at this point goh is probably in the masters 8 because the "hes ashs EQUAL" thing and the writers just havent told us lmfao

1. Lance
2. Leon
3. Raihan
4. Alder
5. Cynthia
6. Diantha
7. Steven
8. ??? Maybe an Anime-Exclusive character.... pleasebePaulpleasebepaulpleasebepaul
Piers might be a good guess but that depends on the promotion the anime is tackling when the Masters 8 are revealed.

1. Lance
2. Leon
3. Raihan
4. Alder
5. Cynthia
6. Diantha
7. Steven
8. ??? Maybe an Anime-Exclusive character.... pleasebePaulpleasebepaulpleasebepaul
Piers might be a good guess but that depends on the promotion the anime is tackling when the Masters 8 are revealed.
Hmm. Sounds good to me

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom