• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Discussion: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

etaphraven

Reaction score
I didnt see a thread for this, and in case you didnt follow E3:

[video=youtube;Kznek1uNVsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg[/video]

What are your opinions and thoughts and excited to see in the upcoming remake for FF7?? I hope they don't change all the weird parts of the game: the inn, the dates, the cussing, the slap scene, etc. I feel like it was the lack of seriousness in parts of the game that made it special. If done in HD remake, it will probably be awkward but will be hilarious.

No gameplay was shown in the trailer, so I'm not getting excited just yet.

There's also this.

“We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn,” Nomura said.

“That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there.”
- FF7 remake: “We don’t need two of the same thing”, says Nomura | VG247

This doesn't sound promising at all.

I don't know, I already played the absolute crap out of this game when I was a teenager. A decade later and I still don't feel like revisiting it.

There's also this.

“We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn,” Nomura said.

“That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there.”
- FF7 remake: “We don’t need two of the same thing”, says Nomura | VG247

This doesn't sound promising at all.

Huh. I guess that's what the trailer meant by how the reunion "may bring fear."

He does have a point, though. It would look pretty odd to have these super-realistic, beautiful characters standing in a row and leaping at the enemy one at a time. I think it could be possible to preserve the original battle system without forcing in its old look; they could keep the FFVII mechanics, but they could have the battles look like how they did in XIII or later releases. The characters would be grouped around the target and would look a bit less awkward.

Of course, I'll probably wake up one day to pissed-off fanboys raging at some change in the system or something. Yay.

However, just because they said "we don't need two of the same thing" does not necessarily mean that the original source material is guaranteed to be screwed over. The fact that this is a modern HD remake of a PS1 game alone means that a crapton of stuff is inevitably going to change, at least aesthetically. Those scrolling textboxes of dialogue given by crude-looking, blocky characters will probably be re-imagined into fully voiced, CG'd cinematic cutscenes. Quirky, poorly-translated text will probably be gone, unless it's kept in for the laughs by popular demand. The entire world itself will probably have nothing short of a visual revolution because of the discrepancy of the technology that was used then and now. You could take a place like Midgar and just translate its appearance into modern-day standards without making a bit of change, but that's also wasting a lot of potential. That might be what SE's going for now: rather than a visually updated carbon copy, they're going to try and let the players see the original world in a new kind of way, without throwing the source material out the window.

Anyways, some stuff I'm hoping for:

- Don't convert Cloud into a brooding emo again. The character actually starts out as a cocky, self-confident person. While he does become brooding and eventually catatonic later on in the story, it's definitely not his default character and is caused mostly by some nasty mind games. Keep some integrity, please.

- Keep the entire Honey Bee Hotel quest. All of it. The beefcakes, the crossdressing, whatever the hell goes on in said hotel... everything about that area was really, really weird, and it's great because of that. Also, I want to laugh at Cloud in a dress with makeup on. And all the shenanigans that follow. I have no idea how the game would keep a T rating if they kept EVERYTHING though...

- Allow players to skip the in-battle cutscene that follows summoning something. I've seen some of those and know that they kind of go on forever. Same for super-long enemy attacks; for example, if you're watching Safer Sephiroth annihilate the solar system for the second time, you should be allowed to bypass it and get to the part where your team takes damage.

- Speaking of which, keep the Supernova attack. It's a classic in absurd moves.

Last edited:
I do hope the do some rebalancing on some of the characters. Someone should have magic stats as good as Aerith since she you know dies and leaves a big hole in the party. Either Vincent or Cait Sith should be that character since they kinda suck statistically without those stat boosters and they kinda focus on magic.

I also hope Limit Breaks will be a separate command instead of overriding the attack command since it makes some weapons like Tifa's Godhand a real pain to use.

I always preferred VIII over VII, but I liked VII too, I might get this if the crossdressing sidequest is removed. and I would like the other FFVII games and advent children to be rereleased too someday.

- Don't convert Cloud into a brooding emo again. The character actually starts out as a cocky, self-confident person. While he does become brooding and eventually catatonic later on in the story, it's definitely not his default character and is caused mostly by some nasty mind games. Keep some integrity, please.

- Speaking of which, keep the Supernova attack. It's a classic in absurd moves.

Yeah, i dont like what they made with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith personalities in Advent Children and Crisis Core.
Cloud turn out in a pitful emo. Tifa turned a frustrated wife while in game she was shy, mysterious but the emotional suport to everyone. And Aerith personality had changed to a delicated pure virginal woman, but in the original games she was a really outgoing girl. And I hope tension, much more tension in the love triangle.

I would like references to Angeal, Genesis, Lucretia and other characters cameos, to tie Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core to the plot. And i want to know more about Sephiroth life.

Characters development apart, I would like to customize the characters like in the newer games. And wouldnt care if they change the gameplay.

With Cloud being added to Sm4sh does this mean the remake could possibly come to a Nintendo console? Or at least the original on eShop?

I think there's a possibility. The NX is rumoured to be more powerful than PS4 and Xbone currently are. The fact that the new Dragon Quest game set to be released on PS4, Xbone and 3DS sorta says the NX can keep up or exceed the PS4/xbone. Since Dragon Quest is also made by Square Enix we can sorta gauge that the remake could come to the NX, if it's successful enough, since Square Enix really like only putting games on consoles they think'll be worth it.

It would be pretty cool if FF7 gets ported to the NX since the original was supposed to be on the N64 but wasn't due to storage issues. Things would have come full circle if that's the case and would justify Cloud being in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom