• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Discussion: World Travel

Caitlin

Reaction score
In another part of my efforts to boost activity and morale around here, I hope we can discuss world travel. I realise that this could be a hit and miss discussion: most of our members are young and haven't really travelled the world much. But I'm hoping that those who have at least been to other places feel free to discuss their experiences. Let's roll.

I myself have had the opportunity to visit parts of England, specifically London, a bit of Wales, the area around Glasgow and even got to take a misty, fog filled boat ride along Lough Neagh in northeastern Ireland. Quite an expensive trip though, I doubt I'll be doing that again. :p

Looking for photos of the trip, but most are of a younger, more bovine version of me making weird faces and they're insanely embarrassing...

I've also been to Canada a few times, but it's pretty much America's second half from what I've seen.

I've also been to Argentina on one of those popular "spanish teacher takes his class and dumps them into a spanish speaking country to see how much they learned" field trips. I really wish I had a camera, the place we were staying at had the most amazing view. It was a log mansion up in the mountains the teacher's parents owned. On one side of the house was a view of the pampas grasslands and jungle on the other side.

Unfortunately I don't have many memorable stories from these places. In Argentina, I caught some sort of jungle fever that had me crippled and bedridden for much of the field trip (I probably got it in during our brief stay in Brazil for a flight transition), and my trip to the UK was very short lived so I didn't have much time to soak in the surroundings or gob off with the locals.

So how about you guys? Has anyone been outside of their home country at one point or another in their lives? Or even a "far away" place within your home country? Any memorable stories, photos? Any places you want to visit?

I've been to Costa Rica, El Salvador, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Japan, and Canada. This summer I'll be going to Europe and France, and hope to visit England again at some point.

36991_403573502895_4626796_n.jpg

In 2010 I visited Alaska. This was taken at Glacier Bay.

When I was seventeen, I went on a school exchange to Germany (from New Zealand) with the eleven other members of my German class and our teacher. We stayed with host families for a month in Velbert and then went to Berlin for a week. The trip really opened my eyes to another culture and made me appreciate my own country more. People often talk about how beautiful New Zealand is, but living here we tend to take it for granted. One of my favourite elements was the European history, as in NZ our history only goes back a hundred or so years and isn't quite as impressive as the massive castles and other structures we got to visit.

On the way back from Germany, I met up with my family for ten days in Singapore. Massive climate change from German winter to Singapore summer, and another change of culture too. Had a great time experiencing both the modern part of Singapore (e.g. all the new tourist traps) and the older parts as well. It was a very personal visit, as my grandfather grew up in WW2 Singapore and he shared with us some of his experiences from this time of poverty and uncertainty.

I haven't been overseas since as I've been studying and have very little disposable income, but I look forward to my next overseas trip in a couple of years. I'll probably go back to Europe again... but won't rule out America or Canada.

I've been to England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Canada. I've also lived in 12 different States here in the US, from the East to the West Coast.

I spent about a month traveling across the former four countries and I had a blast. It was definitely one of the coolest experiences of my life, especially because I spent the month with some of my best friends. Specifically London and Edinburgh were the two cities we spent some of the most time in and they were incredible. I would love to live in either when I'm a bit older. After a while, though, I got really tired of the potatoes and vegetables I ended up eating almost every other night and the long drives in Ireland and Scotland with nothing but fields of sheep. But the sights were absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I plan on returning in the next decade of my life, depending on where my studies take me.

Being and International Business/ Marketing major I hope to study forms of effective marketing and communication in different countries so I'm able to work on a global scale. At the moment I'm looking at Australia, Germany and Japan, but ultimately my heart is set on spending a full semester in Japan. The culture is so different and the people are all so nice. Not to mention it's the home of Pokemon, so that's definitely a motivating factor. I have a friend who is a junior here at school and she just returned from a month in Japan and said it was the best experience of her life. I just want to be enveloped in a different culture, and want to experience the major culture shock and language barrier, because my trip to the United Kingdom was different from the US, but not anywhere near as different as a trip to Japan might be.

As for Canada, I'm half Canadian, on my Mum's side. I spend most of my summers just across the border with my family up there. It's always a blast and I couldn't be more grateful for getting a taste of both cultures, because although the US and Canada are close geographically, a lot seems to differ, or so I've found in my experience.

I've been to China, France, and Canada. (Super impressive I know. >_>)

I was too young to remember China very well, we didn't do much because I was so young and we were staying with relatives.

France... ugh. Same story as China, but several... let's say tragic things happened there. I would love to go there again though. Maybe without burns and hospitals and waiting outside the E.R. this time.

As for Canada, it seemed a lot like the US in terms of lifestyle. Toronto was a lot like America as far as I'm concerned, although Montreal is more distinct in terms of culture from what I've seen.

At the moment by world travelling experience is close to nil, probably because I'm still a kid and most of my vacations have been in the states (e.g. Hawaii, Alaska, California). I'm going to Europe this summer which should be exciting.

I have been to precisely two places outside of England and Wales. Both were trips through my school (Berlin for History, Barcelona for Art) and I am pretty sure that I made the most of my time there. My priorities for Berlin, being the first real visit abroad in my life, were "hey look it's what we have.. but GERMAN" and trying just about every food I could get my hands on. DELICIOUS WURST.

WURST_zps2b7513ef.jpg

Silliness aside, we also visited Sachsenhausen (which hit me real hard; my friend and I actually didn't get any pictures inside the barracks or the crematorium because it just felt wrong)...

sachsenhausenmemorial_zps3bcfed14.jpg
obligatorygatepicture_zps54b1c821.jpg

...the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, what remained of the Berlin Wall, an intact nuclear bunker, the Wannsee Conference Centre, the Führerbunker and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (very haunting at night, as we saw it), among other things I honestly struggle to remember the names of at this point. I did miss a couple of things because I got mild pneumonia and was kept in bed against my will for a few of the last days.

Also here is this awesome looking place near our hotel where, as we walked past, some random Norwegian radio presenters wanted to ask us about what we thought of a bunch of historical politics. Naturally, our history teacher made the most of this and got a lovely ol' discussion going. Through our week in Berlin, we became pretty friendly with the journalists around there.

norwegianswut_zps8ad2e003.jpg

As for Barcelona, well, that was a mess of museums, the olympic stadium (which had cats in it?! SEVERAL cats?! Just wondering around!), beautiful architecture everywhere ever, cute cafés, an aquarium and sneaking into each other's hotel rooms to play poker at night. I'm not ashamed to say that that trip was more about leisure than real educational value, in the end, so most of the photos are just of nondescript pretty buildings we passed and culinary abominations we created while bored at mealtimes.

In future.. Well, there aren't many places I wouldn't like to visit, to be honest. Vienna is a favourite, though.

Last edited:
Well, I was born in Sweden and lived there until I moved to Iceland when I was 10.

I've been to France on holiday numerous times, twice to Nice and twice to the island of Île de Ré on the west coast. I've also been to Paris once when we had to land there to take another plane to Nice, but then we missed that plane and had to take a midnight train which was kinda cool I guess.

My aunt lives in England so I've been there quite a lot. A town near Birmingham to be exact. I've also been to Cicily, Italy once when I was a kid on holiday. I don't remember much about it except for pizzas and the beach. I played in a youth soccer tournament in Norway with my local Icelandic team and we ended up third out of 1453 teams.

Other than that I've also been to Florida, Denmark and Spain. I haven't gone on holiday abroad for a couple of years now, although I went to Sweden for 3 days in November because my mom was getting her Ph.D. there.

And that's about all, I think.

I've been to France twice, once when I was 11 and again when I was 12. The first time was a school trip where we stayed in a holiday camp kind of thing and went canoeing and other stuff like that. The second one was to Paris and other places around Paris, and we went to WW2 War memorials and other historical places, as well as the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triomphe.

I haven't been anywhere else outside of the UK, but I plan to when I am older.

As for world travel Ive been to a couple interesting places.

In senior year of High School I had the oppurtunity to visit Italy, I took Italian as a foreign language(only one that was offered at the school) my teacher is from Italy, and would organize a yearly trip for students that wished to go. In the spring of 2005 I got to go on this trip, and it was pretty awesome. I saw a few different places in Italy like Venice, Verona, Rome and a few other little interesting places. Rome is a pretty interesting city full of historical stuff and we definately got to see some highlights like Vatican City, The Colosseum, The Pantheon and other things, unfortunately I caught a flu in Rome so the last day of the trip wasn't great, but I had a good time, experienced the culture and ate really great food. I really want to go back sometime.

Other than that I went on two criuses with my family to the Caribbean and saw a fair few of the Islands and part of Puerto Rico, which was neat. We stopped at a few places, went to the beach, bought suoveneirs from locals and walked around. Its one of those places where there are a ton of islands and places to go to and that's interesting. Wearing sunscreen is a must if you dont want to get badly sunburned ^^; but it's an enjoyable place with pretty beaches.

Id definately like to visit more of Europe, maybe see the UK and Ireland, and visit Japan because of the culture and stuff and it would be an interesting place to see. I also want to go to more places in the US but no real preference except New York City. I find travelling to other places an interesting experience, and I dont get to travel much so every oppurtunity is great.

Well I live in England... I've been to Wales a few times, some on holiday and others to visit my grandparents there. I haven't been there in about five years now though even though where I live at University is pretty close to wales.

For family holidays abroad I have been to Spain once, Menorca once (last year) which was really nice.

300890_4449442273004_1484743408_n.jpg

Also I went to The Netherlands a few years ago and we stayed near Amsterdam in a camp site. I've been on holiday to France with my family about eight times... it sounds a lot but I cant remember a lot of them! I think all but one or two of the times we've gone, we stay in Keycamp places - they're pretty fun actually, nothing beats living in a caravan :p and on top of that I've been to Disneyland three times. In summer of 2007 I went to America, California and Nevada to be precise... I stayed in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Carmel, San Diego and Las Vegas which were all great - I really hope I can go back one day!

142_12882860483_9761_n.jpg

322_78940170483_7074_n.jpg

142_12882560483_4050_n.jpg

For school I went on a French exchange and also went for one day to visit a small town and go to different companies and stuff to see how they made things. That was pretty cool I guess. I also went on two tour band trips to play in different venues over Europe, one to Spain in 2009 where we visited Salamanca

2410_56505396050_6012_n.jpg

2410_56505171050_1577_n.jpg

2387_131250245483_5233_n.jpg

And one to the Prague, Czech Republic in 2010.

21580_326588601050_513767_n.jpg

21580_326588786050_3020085_n.jpg

I'd count "visiting" Belgium and Germany since we drove through them, but if visiting service stations there counts then cool. :p

I was born in the Philippines and lived there until I was four, in 2003.

I've lived in California since then. Here in the US, I've been in all the West Coast states (except Alaska), all the states along the Mexican border (CA, AZ, NM, and TX), Hawaii, and Mississippi.

I've been to South Korea at one point, as it was a stopover on the way to the Philippines.

Last summer, I visited Vancouver, BC, Canada for a day.

Slovenia, Hungary, Italy.
This summer I will be visiting for the first time in the U.S.
And in Russia, I rested a few times in the winter in Inta (Komi Republic).

I've been to England, Vietnam, China (Honk Kong as well), France, the USA (just San Fransisco), Greece and Italy (only a portion of the south).

Next year I hope to go to England, France and Italy on a renaissance history school tour.

I have some photos from Vietnam which I'll try and upload.

It's interesting reading about where all the Bulbagardeners have travelled. Has anyone visited New Zealand? What were your impressions of the land I (and a surprising number of other Bulbagardeners) call home?

(If it's not too far off-topic, what preconceived ideas do you have if you haven't been here?)

I was born in Lebanon, and I lived there until I was four. I've been back there a few times. I've also been to Egypt, Syria, and Dubai in the UAE. I also went to Brazil once to visit relatives.

I live in New South Wales. I've been to the interior of NSW, as well as Victoria and Queensland.

In June, my family plans on going to Lebanon again.

I am founded of travel and want to visit all over the world few days ago i visited the UK which is very beautiful country of the world and has many beautiful and attractive places for best visit but Liverpool’s fortunes is one of the beautiful and historical place which attached to shipping.

the places id like to visit (have not been out of the USA) are Canada, EU, Australia and the Caribbean

Back
Top Bottom