• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Disney Buying Marvel Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, several Disney-owned properties, like Touchstone, don't advertise as being owned by Disney, since Disney = family-friendly in parents' eyes. It's a good marketing strategy. So probably, no overt changes will be made.

Gogo new episodes of Spectacular Spider-Man!

They're still Disney, buying Marvel didn't make them good guys.

and Yeah, Disney is mostly bad, they still haven't atoned for *ugh* The Lion King.

Hopefully nothing changes.

One step Farther away Kingdom Hearts vs Marvel vs Capcom vs Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.

Fixed it not only did you not include Mortal Kombat but both DC and MK are owned by warner brothers

Last edited:
I don't think it's bad, per se. I just don't really like Disney. That's my (and Prime's) problem. So I can't say we're thrilled over this.

Care to share why?

Though I gotta wonder if we'll be seeing Rogue or Spidey at Disney World anytime soon.

Spidey's gotta show up. Too kid-friendly not to.

Magmaster12 said:
Does this mean all the Marvel movies wll now be made by Disney

I wouldn't think so. Mostly because it's not like the ones they've been making have been failing. Disney will still make money off of them somehow, and that'll make them happy. Though I do wonder if Marvel's partnership with Lionsgate to make and distribute animated films (Ultimates, Ultimates 2, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Hulk vs, etc.) will be affected. Wouldn't think so, though.

And thanks, Peter Kirkland, for posting the above. That should help answer people's questions.

Well this sucks. I hate Disney. -.-
I hope they don't ruin all the Marvel movies.

So many more series for Wolverine to demonstrate his awesome Mutant power of Ubiquity in!

(What do you mean, Wolverine's super-power is not being everywhere at the same time? Of course it is!)

When I read this article... My soul died a little bit... Okay, more than a little bit. About... half of it died. Only one quarter really cared, but the other quarter also died out of sympathy for the first quarter.

Disney is a children's company. They make High School Musical, Hannah Montana. The only respectable things that they've made lately are the movies out of Pixar, which are fine and all (a tad over loved in my opinion), but Marvel is just a completely different entity.
All the Marvel, and DC, comics have been corrupted enough lately.
I think that everybody should back off doing anything with comics, and let them just be comics for at least a decade. Honestly. Please.
Just let them be... Don't touch them Disney...

Interesting that this is happening now. I guess it’s another example of how bad the economy is now. I’m still surprised that no one tried to buy Marvel back during their bankruptcy problems back in the late 90’s, but that probably has something to do with before the Spider-Man movie in 2002 made $100 million on opening weekend.

I really don’t think there is anything to worry about. Disney isn’t going to do anything to mess with Marvel (it hasn’t hurt Pixar after all), but then again I’m not anti-Disney like some seem to be posting in this thread.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this so I’m be the first then. Since Disney is going to buy Marvel this better mean that THE LONG OVERDUE RELEASE OF THE MARVEL CARTOON DVDS ARE ON THE WAY. PLAESE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!! SPIDER-MAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS , THE 1990’S X-MEN, AND ALL THE REST. UN-CUT, UN-CENORSED, AND DIGITIAL REMASTEREND.

Disney is a children's company. They make High School Musical, Hannah Montana. The only respectable things that they've made lately are the movies out of Pixar, which are fine and all (a tad over loved in my opinion), but Marvel is just a completely different entity.

It's already been said the Marvel/Disney deal is like the Pixar/Disney deal in that Disney just owns them, they won't exercise any real control.

All the Marvel, and DC, comics have been corrupted enough lately.

Wait...what?

I think that everybody should back off doing anything with comics, and let them just be comics for at least a decade.

Because Disney magically has the ability to change the definition of what a comic actually is? Or is your problem more that they're making them into other media? Something that's gone on since...the 40s. Something that MOST comic companies, big and small, are participating in to some degree. Or...what?

Luxio2k8 said:
THE 1990’S X-MEN

First two seasons came out earlier this year.

I’m still surprised that no one tried to buy Marvel back during their bankruptcy problems back in the late 90’s

I believe several companies did. Attempt to, I mean.

Evil Figment said:
So many more series for Wolverine to demonstrate his awesome Mutant power of Ubiquity in!

(What do you mean, Wolverine's super-power is not being everywhere at the same time? Of course it is!)

Uh-oh...it's the secret fourth Jonas Brother! Who...oddly enough...is old enough to be their great-great-great grandfather.

It's already been said the Marvel/Disney deal is like the Pixar/Disney deal in that Disney just owns them, they won't exercise any real control.
Alright, that's good to know. So this means Disney isn't going to try and make Marvel all kiddish?

Alright, that's good to know. So this means Disney isn't going to try and make Marvel all kiddish?

Not likely, though there's a question over whether or not Disney's properties that are being licensed to other comic companies (Boom! Studios is doing a number of them, including a Wall-E comic whose first issue comes out this week) will be moved to Marvel.

I get that Disney hasn't been very controlling with Pixar, but I don't see how that's an example of how Marvel won't be made more kiddish?
After all... Pixar is already kiddish.

I get that Disney hasn't been very controlling with Pixar, but I don't see how that's an example of how Marvel won't be made more kiddish?

Example #2: Miramax. Miramax made Pulp Fiction (and...possibly all of Tarantino's films), The Crow, every Kevin Smith movie, and No Country for Old Men. Miramax is owned by Disney. NOW can I rest my case?

EDIT:

Reactions from various comic pros.

Don't complain about Disney the realeased some of the Pokemon Movies under demension I beileve

But Disney doesn't control Pixar creatively. Disney also owns ABC and ESPN, but you don't see either of those chock-full of kiddie programming.

Example #2: Miramax. Miramax made Pulp Fiction (and...possibly all of Tarantino's films), The Crow, every Kevin Smith movie, and No Country for Old Men. Miramax is owned by Disney. NOW can I rest my case?

Miramax hasn't produced all of Tarantino's and Smith's films. QT and KS jumped to the Weinstein Company when the Weinsteins left Miramax. You can correct me if I'm wrong (which I very well may be) but past a few joint-productions Miramax and the Weinstein Company are completely separate.

Though what I said doesn't change your point. . . and you are right. Disney isn't going to take Marvel in a kiddie direction. They want to make money above all. If Disney bought up companies just to force them into making products similar to that of what you see on the Disney Channel, they wouldn't be expanding their horizons. Disney now reaches across just about every medium of entertainment there is. People hear "Walt Disney Company" and they think children's entretainment, but don't be fooled; Disney is as ruthless and sly as they come. They aren't a "children's company", they know how to make money, and they are about to make a lot more with the acquisition of Marvel.

Last edited:
Dang, whats disney going to do now, take over the world? Seriously, I hate disney. There used to be a game called club penguin which was big once, (kids at my school used to search for cheats, they were that into it) but i stopped after disney bought it and made it bad.

The over-reaction to this news all over the internet is both hilarious and irritating at the exact same time.

Just because Disney owns Marvel doesn't mean Marvel becomes Disney. Marvel will continue on as absolute normal, but they've got more money behind them now and a much larger marketing machine to support them.

There is nothing but good in this deal for everyone concerned, so the doomsaying is really rather unbelievable. Hell, even the Paramount distributed in-house Marvel movies up-to-and-beyond the Avengers movie are secure in running the exact same way - except probably with a bigger budget behind them (which, after Iron Man 2's over-budget spending would be a very good thing).

I doubt, even, that the Disney label will even go anywhere near any Marvel products. It will be as invisible a partnership to the consumer as Time Warner/DC or Disney and its own Miramax Films.

We should be taking this as good news instead of flipping out over it.

Edit: Incidentally, one tantalizingly brilliant possibility comes from this merger, also. There's the talk of putting the comics into the existing Disney stores already - but imagine the possibility of a specific Marvel (chain of) store(s)? At this time, with a huge amount of high-profile Marvel films incoming in the next few years, I'd say it would be an almost guaranteed success. Lord knows, between a huge back-catalogue of comics, merchandise and the massive character brands like Spider-Man, Hulk and the X-Men, there'd be more than enough to fill the store with.

Under Marvel's own capital, the initial costs would be next-to-impossible to offset. But combine it with Disney's, and it's a venture I'd find it hard to believe wouldn't be considered officially.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom