• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DLC discussion and speculation

brentoni

Reaction score
Lately I have noticed that the idea of DLC has been appearing in a number of X & Y threads, and since the discussions about it are so broad and contain so much more than the topics of the threads it appears in I thought it needed its own thread. I'm not sure if it has been done before but I couldn't find a dlc thread so I decided to make one.

Personally I like the idea of dlc clothing, as long as the price is reasonable (or free), but think the ideas of dlc pokemon/megas would be slightly more complicated than people realise since in order for people to battle they would both need to have the same dlc installed otherwise their game may not be able to render the opponents pokemon.

Technically, since Mew, Pokémon has had DLC Pokémon, although their data had already been added to the game data. All event Pokémon, as well as all event items, are DLC by this reasoning, and they've all been free since Mew was originally distributed in Gen I. The closest the main series has come to paid DLC was Dream Radar, as you had to pay for the app, and from it, you could transfer Pokémon - including Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus - and items into Black 2 and White 2. But as far as Pokémon you can't catch in-game at all for one reason or another or require an item not available in-game, the DLC we've had has all been free, and from what I've seen around here, this post of mine is the first time event distributions have been referred to as DLC.

I will just say that I fully support downloadable content, as long as it is free. If Game Freak wants to release DLC, then go ahead, but release it for free. Things like new outfits for the characters should be always released for free. I believe that if one paid for the game, she or he should never need to pay again for this kind of "extra" content (that could easily fit in any 3DS cartridge to begin with).

That being said, if the said DLC is something massive, like expansions, then things might be a little bit different. The The Frozen Throne expansion released for Warcraft III was a good example of an amazing expansion, thought it was never released digitally, as far as I am concerned. The Ballad of Gay Tony expansion for Grand Theft Auto IV was also great and totally worth the money. If Game Freak decides to release, say, the third version or even remakes as expansions, then hell yes, that could be great! They shouldn't charge $40 for it though (obviously!) and that actually makes me think they are never going to do such thing.

I can see clothing and other tidbits, like special Pokeballs or extra evolutionary items being paid DLC in like packs, like a pack of Evolutionary Stones for $0.99. Pokemon would obviously be free.

I think GameFreak will make DLC free, especially if it's for things like Event Pokémon. They gave us them free before, there is no reason for them not to this time. Plus surely it's easier now with not having to make events in stores etc. so I can't see it being paid. Plus I'm sure Masuda or someone said they don't like fans paying for DLC content when they've shelled out for the game anyway.

I do think it opens the possibility of more new Pokémon as the generation progresses, as it means updates to previous games in the generation can co-operate (although I'm sure it's not that straight forward). Then obvious other things like clothes, etc.

Didn't Junichi Masuda say in an interview that Game Freak had no plans to include paid DLC in main series Pokemon games? With the exception of the Pokemon Bank, Game Freak will most likely not charge players for using DLC and apps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the e-reader cards for Ruby and Sapphire technically paid DLC? They weren't adding anything substantial to the game, and most people don't remember them because they were quickly discontinued outside of Japan due to lack of popularity, but, if I'm correct, this shows that Game Freak was willing to try DLC before, albeit through Nintendo's methods and not their own. Although, the unpopularity of the e-reader outside of Japan may have discouraged Game Freak from trying DLC again, so they may stick to special events as their only form of it.

Technically, they weren't downloadable, although in most respects, it is very similar.

I'm okay with just about anything that:

1. Doesn't decrease the value of the standalone game by including features that should've been in the game (i.e. if they charge $5 for Vs. Seeker or something).
2. Adds substantial replay value to the game. Nothing pointless like more outfits or something.

But since Game Freak often has trouble with the first point, I'm not so sure I trust them with DLC.

Ideally what they should do is add in new areas comprising of a couple of towns and some routes and dungeons (roughly the size of the Sevii Islands in FRLG or the Battle Zone in DPPt), where you can catch old Pokemon not available in the main game, fight more trainers, and maybe even add in a mini storyline. But since Game Freak is against charging for DLC, it probably won't happen since it's too much work to do for free. Shame they're against paid DLC, I appreciate that they don't want to overcharge for the game, but something like this would be perfectly reasonable to charge for and probably won't happen without it.

I'm kinda hoping for DLC, especially if it's expansive. I wouldn't mind paying for new areas to explore.

In the first post when I mentioned dlc pokemon I wasn't really reffering to event pokemon that already have data on the gamecard, but rather an idea I saw on some other thread (I forget where) about having a bunch of new pokemon or mega evos added to the game later on as a way of extending the life of the game, rather than going to a third version/sequal or gen vii.

In the first post when I mentioned dlc pokemon I wasn't really reffering to event pokemon that already have data on the gamecard, but rather an idea I saw on some other thread (I forget where) about having a bunch of new pokemon or mega evos added to the game later on as a way of extending the life of the game, rather than going to a third version/sequal or gen vii.

I don't think new Pokemon will be added via DLC because it adds an element of unfairness to the game and it would be difficult to handle trading (if you have DLC and your friend doesn't, how can you trade the new Pokemon?). Also, I don't think they'll abandon sequels in favor of DLC because sequels can create new experiences in old regions if done right.

Well! I've been flooded with links to interviews as of late. I don't know what's happening at the moment that warrants ten or so interviews with Game Freak. I stumbled across an interview Pocket Gamer made with Junichi Masuda and Hironobu Yoshida. Guess what? Masuda flat out refused to release DLC for this game because he believes it makes the game seem incomplete. ......Wow. Are you telling me that even event legendaries will be in the ROM before they're officially revealed? In this day and age? Not to mention all of the missed opportunities as a result of this decision...

Well! I've been flooded with links to interviews as of late. I don't know what's happening at the moment that warrants ten or so interviews with Game Freak. I stumbled across an interview Pocket Gamer made with Junichi Masuda and Hironobu Yoshida. Guess what? Masuda flat out refused to release DLC for this game because he believes it makes the game seem incomplete. ......Wow. Are you telling me that even event legendaries will be in the ROM before they're officially revealed? In this day and age? Not to mention all of the missed opportunities as a result of this decision...

Masuda does make some weird decisions in regards of the Pokémon franchise, but this time? He is completely right. I am so glad the director himself is against DLC.

I don't see why they wouldn't have event legendaries in the ROM, they have always done it that way and as far as i can tell no-one has cracked 3DS well enough for it to cause spoilers like with genesect. Plus like Bolt the Cat said having new pokemon data by dlc would cause problems with trade/battle because some people might have pokemon that don't exist in other peoples games.

iirc one of the heads of Nintendo publicly stated they were against DLC for the same reasons. But of course we know they changed their minds and I have to say the result was worth it (New Super Luigi U <3)

While I can't say I'm disappointed at all, I would have liked extra areas/plot as DLC rather than in a third version (or sequel versions). Distributing already designed Pokemon as DLC, however, would be contemptible.

Plus like Bolt the Cat said having new pokemon data by dlc would cause problems with trade/battle because some people might have pokemon that don't exist in other peoples games.
This wouldn't be a real problem. I agree that people shouldn't have to pay to download Pokémon, but the advent of DLC makes it possible to add new Pokémon or Mega Evolutions to new games, and update XY with the data for free. In essence, players would pay for the games rather than the Pokémon (which wouldn't be directly obtainable in XY), so it wouldn't be much different than the norm. If an XY player tried to locally trade/battle with a player that had new data, the game could direct them to a synchronizing feature that would send the patch to the former player. For Wi-Fi communication, the XY player could just be automatically directed to the (free) patch download.

Masuda's narrow-minded approach makes me doubt that this is being considered, but I fail to see why it shouldn't be done as it wouldn't even be paid DLC.

Last edited:
Masuda's narrow-minded approach makes me doubt that this is being considered, but I fail to see why it shouldn't be done as it wouldn't even be paid DLC.

Unfortunately. Paid or unpaid DLC (preferably the latter) can be used in so many ways, especially with all of the new features, to add to the longevity of X & Y's lifespan and playability. I think it's foolish to not even consider it.

Back
Top Bottom