• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do Ash's older friends still keep in contact with him?

Cybersai

Reaction score
I have always wondered this. Did any of Ash's friends watch him in the Sinnoh league? We know Oak and Delia did, but we can't say for sure any of his friends did because they weren't shown.

As shown at the end of AG and DP, Ash doesn't even take the time to let his old friends visit him before he's off to a new adventure again.

As shown in the Dawn and Brock specials, neither of them made a mention of Ash and I don't think they know about Iris/Dento at all.

Was Misty ever aware Dawn existed? Considering they've never met and there was no Pallet visit, Misty probably doesn't even know about that character, let alone Iris/Dento. Do you think May actually cares what Ash is doing anymore at this point?

I think we may never know.

Well he might keep in contact with them offscreen. When May came back for the Wallace Cup arc, she seemed to know all about Dawn, so Ash probably seems to keep in contact with his old travel-buddies every once in a while.

I think I said this before, just because we don't see it onscreen doesn't mean it never happened. Just like going to the bathroom and bathing, I think he picks up a phone every now and then offscreen to check in on his old friends/old Pokemon at Oak's. I don't think he does this like every day, since he didn't know May was coming to Sinnoh, but every once in a while.

I think I said this before, just because we don't see it onscreen doesn't mean it never happened. Just like going to the bathroom and bathing, I think he picks up a phone every now and then offscreen to check in on his old friends/old Pokemon at Oak's. I don't think he does this like every day, since he didn't know May was coming to Sinnoh, but every once in a while.

This is what i think too, we don't need to see EVERYTHINg they do.
Some people would like to see everything of some characters though...

Well then why did nobody visit him in Pallet? Out of sight, out of mind.

Probably off-screen if anything, but only occasionally since there's no telling if Iris and Cilan know about any of his other friends.

They probably did visit him in Pallet Town, he was probably there for weeks. We just didn't see it all because that'd be pretty boring.

They probably watch his battles and he probably calls them when he's going to a new region. Just to let them know what he's doing/that he's still alive.

Well Misty had heard all about May and Max because Ash and Brock told her, so they obviously were keeping in touch with her. Likewise, May knew all about Dawn. So I think he does, they just don't like to show it.

maybe in their world, they got something like a facebook and maybe some1 like Misty posts in his wall everyday :D

BUT, THE REAL ANSWER IS...

WE DON'T KNOW

When the lure showed up in the Buizel ep, Dawn said, "Who is Misty?"

What does that imply? That up to DP39, neither Ash/Brock made any mention of Misty to Dawn. Obviously if they did, Dawn wouldn't be confused as to who she was.

So what does this also imply? That Ash/Brock did not talk to Misty on the phone at all from the beginning of Sinnoh till then, as Dawn would have seen it. Not like they're going to call Misty in private and not let Dawn know.

So it seems to me as if Ash really doesn't bother keeping in contact with his old friends. That's why he's always surprised when someone shows up. He didn't know Gary was in pallet, Misty didn't visit him AT ALL, and at this point its obvious he's lost contact with May as well as probably Dawn in the future.

It seems to me as if Ash's older friends have, "moved on." They only traveled with Ash each for less than half his adventure, so they do not have any huge reason to stay in touch.

It's writers fault, not his. Geez, you guys treat characters like living people. They do have personalities, but remember that their actions are under writers control. It's a written show. :|

Besides, if Ash was real he would come out as a true douchebag in the real world. XD

I don't think Iris/Dento know anything about Ash's older friends.

What does that imply? That up to DP39, neither Ash/Brock made any mention of Misty to Dawn. Obviously if they did, Dawn wouldn't be confused as to who she was.

It can also mean how Ash could keep contact with his older friends without letting his current companions know about everything.

Not like they're going to call Misty in private and not let Dawn know.

You answered yourself this question.

It seems to me as if Ash's older friends have, "moved on." They only traveled with Ash each for less than half his adventure, so they do not have any huge reason to stay in touch.

Characters dont have any control over their actions.Whether they will show up or not depends solely on writers.

However as it was showed with Mistys cameo in Hoenn where she knowed about May and Max prior to that being mentioned how Ash talked to them about her,and Mays cameo when group knew where to wait for her with May knowing about Dawn serves as indication how Ash indeed keeps in touch with his friends.Also sole reason behind Misty coming back in Pallet town before BF was because she wanted to see Ash.

Its safe to say going by this how Ash stays in contact with his friends,but writers for most part let everything happen off screen not seeing need to show it.

With luck, they all have Facebook and Twitter accounts, so all these things can go without saying. :)

I can just imagine it now:

@Hoenn_Haruka ワカバタウンに到着なう!Made it to New Bark Town!

^^This would be fun, i laughing of just thinking about it, but who's to say no?

XD!

I would prefer it if Ash's old friends didn't keep in contact with him. They have their own lives and their own goals, whereas Ash is going to keep traveling anyway. None of his friends should be confine themselves to what Ash is doing.

Each of Ash's friends only traveled with him for about 25% of his total adventure, aside from Brock who was there for about 75%, so it doesn't matter.

So what does this also imply? That Ash/Brock did not talk to Misty on the phone at all from the beginning of Sinnoh till then, as Dawn would have seen it. Not like they're going to call Misty in private and not let Dawn know.

So it seems to me as if Ash really doesn't bother keeping in contact with his old friends. That's why he's always surprised when someone shows up. He didn't know Gary was in pallet, Misty didn't visit him AT ALL, and at this point its obvious he's lost contact with May as well as probably Dawn in the future.

At the DP 93 point, Ash and Dawn were still just new friends. I doubt that as soon as you make friends with someone you suddenly give them the entire backstory of your life. That doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure Brock was there for more like 95%, but whatever.
Why wouldn't you like if they contacted him every so often? It's not like it's really going to take much of their time - they're only calling their friend. I do like to this they do, well with most of his old traveling companions I couldn't care less if they did/didn't. But with the one/two I do, I don't see how it'd be a negative thing if he still talks to them, you know?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom