• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site, or it's archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Do Mega Evolutions count as the regional variants of Kalos now?

TapLover

Reaction score
I believe there's a rule that Pokemon who got Mega Evolutions in Kalos can not get regional variants. So can we nickname then "Kalosian Formes" if possible?

Oriden

Here to ride the rumor train.
Reaction score
I believe there's a rule that Pokemon who got Mega Evolutions in Kalos can not get regional variants. So can we nickname then "Kalosian Formes" if possible?
No, because that's an entirely different concept, we're not sure if pokemon that got Megas can't get variants, and also- why would we call them that when Megas is shorter?

MegaPod

Pressurized Pupa
Reaction score
Mega Evolutions and regional variants are clearly not the same phenomenon. The former is a temporary transformation that any member of a certain Pokémon species can activate during battle once the right conditions are met, when its trainer holds a Key Stone and in all but one case the Pokémon holds a Mega Stone. The latter is a non-interchangeable form difference that manifest in certain species when they are native to (or in a few cases, evolved from their base form in) a particular region, causing the members of different forms to have access to completely different properties, movepools, etc. Just because Mega Evolution is not to be an accessible feature in SwoShi doesn’t suddenly make it an example of regional variants.

NealIRC

Reaction score
I believe there's a rule that Pokemon who got Mega Evolutions in Kalos can not get regional variants.
I think if those pokemon did get regional variants, those regional variants will not mega-evolve into the "Kalosian" forms.

Esserise

Her Wraith
Reaction score
I believe there's a rule that Pokemon who got Mega Evolutions in Kalos can not get regional variants.
There is no such rule. It's simply not something that has occurred as of yet. Correlation isn't causation, and all that.

Still, it doesn't really matter in regards to SwoShi, since Megas aren't going to be included in the first place.

So can we nickname then "Kalosian Formes" if possible?
Aside from the reasons that other users have now cited, Mega Evolution isn't even the result of a single region's environment - it's been observed as emerging in both Kalos and Hoenn, for various reasons. Is Mega Sharpedo somehow Sharpedo's Hoennian Form, despite Sharpedo being native to Hoenn to begin with?

Last edited:

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
There's a good chance that Meowth will get a Galarian form on top of its Alolan one. It all comes down to bias rather than rules.

In Charizard's case, giving it a Gigantamax form makes sense since its Megas are gone.