• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do pokemon get eaten?

Roses Ablaze

Reaction score
I think that there are regular animals in the pokemon world, too, but we don't see them in the show because that's not what the show is about. So I think that humans eat regular animals and not pokemon, but I don't know about pokemon eating each other...

They might. They're seen eating Pokéchow often, but I'd surmise that some of the larger species (Gyarados, Dragonite, Charizard, etc) are predatory.

We definately know that Magikarp cannot be eaten. Which makes me think that there might be some pokemon that do get eaten. As for which ones would get eaten, I think Farfetch'd is on that menu. Pokemon eating other pokemon I think is a maybe, depending on what type it is.

I think some Pokémon eat others. For example, it is said Taillow hunts Wurmple and the like. That also reminds me of the episode "Ash catches a Pokémon" where he sends Caterpie to battle Pidgeotto and the latter tries to eat the poor thing.

Why can't Magikarp be eaten? If you mean by humans, that's one thing. I'm talking about Pokémon hunting and eating other Pokémon.

Barb said:
Why can't Magikarp be eaten? If you mean by humans, that's one thing. I'm talking about Pokémon hunting and eating other Pokémon.
Lol i really should've made that more clear :boom: . I did mean to say he cannot be eaten by humans.

I think I remember that from a scene in the anime; James (or Jessie) said something about Magikarp not tasting good or being too bony to eat.

I think Misty said that Magicarp are nothing but scales and bone, therefore impossible to eat.

I think you're right, RA. I think it was also mentioned that humans could eat Farfetch'd. I would assume that the human diet in the Pokémon world resembles the real life diet of many Japanese with rice and fish as staples.

A consequence of my thinking about this subject is that now I wonder what a Tauros steak tastes like.

The best way to answer this question is to go to our best (and really, sole) source of encyclopedic knowledge of the pokémon : the pokédexes.

For the RB dexes alone :
-Wartortle, Omastar and Gloom are said to eat "preys" of unspecified nature.
-Spearow, Venonat and Bellsprout are all mentioned as eating bugs.
-Pidgeots are clearly stated to prey on magikarps. (answering many questions at once : Pokémon eat other pokémons, magikarps are edible for certain pokémon).
-Ekans is said to eat the eggs of other pokémon.

In addition, while it IS possible Lapras was hunted down for non-alimentary reason, teh notion that they were hunted down *to near-extinction* (which their entry state) doesn't jive with standard trainers work et al. In fact, it's more reminiscent of whales.

Yellow add as follow :
-Pidgeotto, Weepinbell, Victreebel and Squirtle, Tentacruel, Scyther, Pinsir, Kabutops and Raticate are all mentioend as predators. (in the context of hunting for preys of unspecified nature).
-Ekans also eat large preys, and is able to dislocate its jaw to do so.

Will check the other dexes ASAP.

EDIT :

Gold/Silver
-The following are also identified as predator : Arbok, Fearow, Spinarak, Lanturn, Yanma, Pineco, Gligar, Remoraid, Houndour.
-Furret is mentioned as "Hunting" Rattatas. Wether or not that is for sustenance purpose is not mentioend.
-Weepinbell is confirmed to eat more than bugs, as it "slices down preys too big for its mouth with sharp leaves".

Crystal
-Predators : Beedrill, Pidgey, Persian, Croconaw, Noctowl, Sneasel.

Ruby, Sapphire
-Predators : Poochyena, Linoone, Swellow, Wingull, Azumarill, Vileplume, Swalot, Wailord, Trapinch, Vibrava, Cacnea, Barboach, Corphish, Lileep, Cradily, Anorith, Kecleon, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Chinchou, Seadra, Kingdra, Metagross,
-Wurmple's pokédex entry mentions that Wurmple is Swellow's prey.

Last edited:
That clear things up on Pokemon hunting, or eating other pokemon. But there is little to no information about humans eating pokemon.

We know there are normal fish in the show.

I don't think that humans really eat Pokémon, save for the Farfetch'd episode. That would kinda be like humans here eating cats, or dogs, or whichever animals are considered to be pets.

The games and the anime seem to contradict each other quite a bit, and there may even be contradiction within itself, be it the anime of the games.

Well, magical pokemon journey has Hazel imagining Pikachu being devoured by Pidgeotto...

But MPJ also has talking pokemon galore and glomping solving all worldly problems. ^_^

That said... I'd imagine there are plenty of predatory species in the pokemon world, with Magikarp, Tentacool, Zubat, et al being the major food sources, judging from frequency of occurance. Though I wouldn't want to eat a Tentacool. :p

(Which raises the question of how the poison's avoided...)

Its a given that Pokémon eat other Pokémon.

I do think that humans eat Pokémon, but it is most likely a matter of
tastes/cultural diffrances.
Much like how domesticated Cats and Dogs, can be food or pets depending on the culture. Obviously. Trainers, Rangers, and other humans that work closely with Pokémon would probably not eat them. While it may be more likely for humans that have no desire to interact with, or real intrest in Pokémon, (beyond food that is) to eat them.

Its also illistrated in the games (The Head Chef on the SS Anne in R/B/Y, FR/LG) that humans still mainly eat beef, salmon, eel and such.

IIRC, when Ash was stuck under Grandfather Canyon or whatever with Team Rocket his Pokedex said something about Aerodactyl and the others being carnivores.

There have been several trading cards from the TCG that have had for their flavor text something like "It enjoys eating so-and-so" or "it likes to feed baby so-and-sos to it's children."

And of course there are animals in the Pokemon world. We see them all the time in episodes, such as fish. How can the huge planet earth only have harbored 150 Pokemon, and yet have no animals? 150 species on a huge planet would seem kind of..dull...considering how we have millions of different species of animals.

Well, we ARE up to 386 species and growing, you realize.

But still, point well made, WPM. There are certainly standard animal, at least as per the anime (haven't played the classics in a while, don'T remember the exact SS Ann chef line), so that they probably don't eat pokémon for food most of the time.

391. ;)

I was just saying...they kind of used to believe that there were only 150 Pokemon, which means they only thought that there were at least 150 different species. That is highly unlikely though, since there can't just be 150 species on the planet.

And still, even 500 Pokemon is not enough. Probably not even a thousand. However, as shown in the manga, Pokemon live in unity with real life animals, so I guess there doesn't have to be that many and that Pokemon are their own special branch of animals.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom