• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

Austin HM02

Reaction score
I eMailed Pokémon.com this same question, and they said it was up to the interpretation of the fans. I'm not sure how to interpret it. Most Psychic-types are portrayed as intelligent (and many non-Psychic-type intelligent Pokémon generally learn a lot of Psychic-type moves, such as Noctowl), so that would point to them utilizing brain power. They also have a type advantage over Poison (mind over matter) and Fighting (brain over brawn), and a type disadvantage to types typically regarded as common fears such as the Bug and Dark-types, which once again would indicate the type's usage of their mind. However, Psychic-type trainers are shown levitating Pokéballs and doing various other unnatural feats that would obviously require the use of demonic assistance (just some examples being Psychic Sayid and Psychic Robert on Kalos route 10), so that could also mean that their Pokémon do the same. After hours of intensive and extensive research, I have yet to come to a conclusive decision regarding whether or not Psychic-types use their own brain, or receive demonic assistance. What do you think?

Please keep the subject on Pokémon. Also cite your sources of information if possible, but if not that's fine too.
Thanks!!

They're psychics, not summoners. They all obviously use their brains. If demons even exist in the Pokémon world, it'll be in the form of demon-like Pokémon. Literal demons would be way too scary for the little kiddies.

The very definition of Psychic is to have special brain powers. They clearly use their brains.

Psychic-type trainers are shown levitating Pokéballs and doing various other unnatural feats that would obviously require the use of demonic assistance

The name implies that they're psychics. They use their psychic powers.

Unless you consider psychic powers as "demonic", than they don't use the help of demons.

Does Alakazam use demonic power for its attacks? I don't think so.

Does Gengar use demonic power for its attacks? Possibly.

Does Houndoom use demonic power for its attacks? It seems likely to me.

I'm thinking that even though there are some similar abilities here, psychic types don't summon demons for their power, dark types probably do, and ghost types could go either way, maybe with some on each side.

I'm thinking that even though there are some similar abilities here, psychic types don't summon demons for their power, dark types probably do

"Dark" has many definitions, some including "threatening", "characterized by tragedy", "mysterious", and "gloomily pessimistic". Through my research, I have noticed the common theme between Dark-types to be generally (but not always) portrayed as "threatening" and mysterious. But that's just my research.

While having natural powers and abilities relating to the mind is not demonic, we know that humans can't levitate Pokéballs, so they would have to utilize demonic forces in order to do so.

Apparently not, Ghost-types exist.

Ghost-type Pokémon aren't literal demons; I'm not even sure they're ghosts. Probably just some sort of gaseous or extradimensional life form with spooky legends attached.

They're ghosts. That's why they're called Ghost-types, and not Gaseous-type or Extradimensional-type.

Last edited by a moderator:
TC seems to be already convinced that demonic powers are the source, having 1) reduced the possibilities to either brain or demons, nothing else and 2) determined that brains can't be the source, again for no real reason. Nevertheless, I'll try and make this a more open discussion by suggesting other reasons.

1. Pokéballs can levitate by virtue of their advanced technology. They have already been seen (in the games) moving erratically - shooting straight up in old Baton Pass animations, etc.

2. Those aren't actually Pokéballs, but props. Psychic Sambala in BW purports to go to magic classes to look like a Psychic, and a trick prop would lend itself to that.

3. They aren't actually humans. TC assumes their feats are impossible to humans, but what if they aren't? Characters Dive with seemingly no need to breathe, stand around without doing anything, and so on.

4. External forces are to blame, but not demons. Microscopic organisms can cause bizarre phenomena in real life. Plausibly the Pokémon world has organisms like Pokérus that perform feats of strength by sheer numbers - something like midi-chlorians in Star Wars. Alternatively, technology is advanced such that microscopic bots exist.

I think some dark Pokemon might be demons. Nyuura is a demon. Pokemon with psychic powers use their brains, so I don't think they are demons or use help from them. Maybe they emit some kind of waves to affect their environment. I don't know how telekinesis works. Of those using something like supernatural powers, Psychic Pokemon are the most scientific. That is, their powers should be able to be explained scientifically rather than as magic.

I think psychic type attacks are associated with the brain. Sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly.

Confusion, I think, involving reaching into the opponent's mind and 'messing it up', to induce headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc. Psybeam probably does something similar, except it's transmitted in the form of a beam, rather than just attempting to directly tamper with someone's mind, which allows it to be focussed more easily, allowing it to harm a single target more.

Psychic and psyshock are a little different, I think. I've always imagined psychic as simply blasting the other pokemon telekinetically. Like, slamming them with an invisible force. I'm not describing it that well, but you get what I'm on about. Hopefully. Moving on, I've always imagined psyshock as involving lifting up nearby objects with telekinesis, and then throwing them at the enemy. You're using your telekinetic force to throw the objects, but they hit them physically, which is why it uses physical defence.

Hmm, well that's how I think they work. That's how I write them, anyway. It works for me.

Either/or, really. Depending on the Pokemon, the power could be mental in nature (Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Meowstic) or supernatural in nature (Claydol, Bronzong, Sigilyph).

Supernatural does not, however, automatically mean demons. Why shouldn't humans be able to levitate Poké Balls or do other telekinetic tricks under their own power? Just because we haven't figured out how to do it yet doesn't make it impossible.

The word "demon" just has far too many negative connotations to have any place in the Pokémon universe, because enlisting their assistance would label too many good or neutral characters as nothing short of pure evil in the eyes of too many people. I seriously doubt that's what Game Freak wants.

I'm thinking that even though there are some similar abilities here, psychic types don't summon demons for their power, dark types probably do

"Dark" has many definitions, some including "threatening", "characterized by tragedy", "mysterious", and "gloomily pessimistic". Through my research, I have noticed the common theme between Dark-types to be generally (but not always) portrayed as "threatening" and mysterious. But that's just my research.

Bear in mind that in Japan, the type is called "Evil-type". Just for future reference~

Even then, Dark-types tend to be more trickster archetypes. Ghost types are often more genuinely evil.

TC seems to be already convinced that demonic powers are the source, having 1) reduced the possibilities to either brain or demons, nothing else and 2) determined that brains can't be the source, again for no real reason. Nevertheless, I'll try and make this a more open discussion by suggesting other reasons.

That's not true, I am only trying to be careful and I don't need you to criticize me for that.

4. External forces are to blame, but not demons. Microscopic organisms can cause bizarre phenomena in real life. Plausibly the Pokémon world has organisms like Pokérus that perform feats of strength by sheer numbers - something like midi-chlorians in Star Wars. Alternatively, technology is advanced such that microscopic bots exist.

You can't just assume that the solution is something so absurd. That would be like you wondering why food is being cooked in a stove, and instead of logically concluding that someone is hungry, you conclude that the person is obviously feeding the microscopic organisms that have infested their body. We must use logic when determining answers.

Last edited:
Even then, Dark-types tend to be more trickster archetypes. Ghost types are often more genuinely evil.
That depends on the Ghost, really.

Rotom is a prankster, to be sure and Misdreavus like to scare people but they're not completely vicious. And of course, there are those Ghosts out there that will protect you... gee, I wonder who they are? :sweatlol:
(Hey, come on! This is me you're dealing with!)

As for the topic at hand, I'm thinking that Psychics utilize their minds in order to perform their Attacks. They probably have a completely different set-up than we do and can focus their minds in order to use Psychic, Confusion, etc. I just don't see them conjuring up Cthulhu and ordering it to go wipe out an opponent. But that's just me.

You can't just assume that the solution is something so absurd. That would be like you wondering why food is being cooked in a stove, and instead of logically concluding that someone is hungry, you conclude that the person is obviously feeding the microscopic organisms that have infested their body. We must use logic when determining answers.

I know, but being evil is something that is done by choice, not something to be born into.
Right, because "demons" are just so obvious. Clearly the food was cooked by demons before anything else.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom