• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Do the species pages need "(Pokémon)" in the title?

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
I think the species pages would be much better without the "(Pokémon)" disambig tag. Since Bulbapedia is a Pokémon site, it's very obvious that the articles are about Pokémon, so it just feels very redundant. Take Golem for example. Outside of the context of Pokémon, a golem could be a mythical rock monster, but when you look it up on Bulbapedia, you're obviously looking for the Pokémon that Graveller evolves into that looks like a rock turtle. Pikachu is synonymous with Pokémon so it doesn't really need "(Pokémon)" in its page title. The more famous Pikachu, Ash's Pikachu is a separate page, but it is listed in the "Pikachu (disambiguation)" page, and that disambiguation page is linked on the top of the species article. Every Pokémon with major members of their species have disambiguation pages and typing the name by itself would redirect to the species page. I find myself searching the Pokémon name by itself because adding "(Pokémon)" just makes it longer to type, especially with the é requiring a special alt code to type. A long time ago, the names by themselves were disambiguation pages, but now the disambiguation pages have "(disambiguation)" in their names while the former titles redirect to the species, because of people using the names to search for the species. And some Pokémon like Bellsprout don't even have disambiguation pages, making it seem even more redundant to have their pages to have something in parenthesis. I think the page titles would look better without the franchise name.

I find myself searching the Pokémon name by itself because adding "(Pokémon)" just makes it longer to type, especially with the é requiring a special alt code to type.

Doesn’t searching for the species name without (Pokémon) redirect you to its page anyway? You don’t need to type (Pokémon) after the species name in the search bar.

They're remnants from when the "<pokemon name>" articles redirected to the disambiguation pages and not the "<name> (Pokémon)" articles. That was changed years ago and now they all redirect to the species article and not the disambig. The reason why we still have it at the <name> (Pokémon) title, is because we would not only have to move over 800 pages, but re-link thousands of thousands of articles. Which is something we are not going to be taking the time and effort to do.

Okay, so the moving and relinking process could take months. But "Pikachu (Pokémon)" could still redirect to Pikachu and you can use bots to fix links. And it would be better to make the change now before the next games add more Pokémon.

Okay, so the moving and relinking process could take months. But "Pikachu (Pokémon)" could still redirect to Pikachu and you can use bots to fix links. And it would be better to make the change now before the next games add more Pokémon.

So you actually want a Bulbapedia wide extensive change just because you "like to type the page name accurately"?

I fail to see how is this an issue when typing 'Pikachu' or 'Pikachu (Pokémon)' in the search bar lands you on the exact same page.

No. It'll probably take more than a few months, maybe a year, and might involve a site wide lockdown. And there's already too many Pokémon to make the change. We're not talking about just the 800 odd Pokémon pages, we're talking about literally every page on the wiki, since every single one uses the "name (Pokémon)" link. It's never happening.

There's one case in the past where using the species name as a base page name would cause issues.

Glaceon's Japanese name (Glacia) was revealed first, and is shared with the English name of a member of the Hoenn Elite Four.

There's one case in the past where using the species name as a base page name would cause issues.

Glaceon's Japanese name (Glacia) was revealed first, and is shared with the English name of a member of the Hoenn Elite Four.

Well, its English name Glaceon isn't shared with anyone, so there wouldn't be a problem. And at that time, Glacia's page could have been "Glacia (Elite Four)."

Well, its English name Glaceon isn't shared with anyone, so there wouldn't be a problem. And at that time, Glacia's page could have been "Glacia (Elite Four)."
At the time, we had no viable way to repoint every link, and we were very much expecting the species to get a new English name. It would be too much effort to move the page, change all the links, then do the whole thing in reverse in six months.

Okay, maybe Glaceon needed the "(Pokémon)" title at that time. But that wouldn't have meant all Pokémon had to be specified as Pokémon.

Isn’t the discussion futile anyway since it has been said it’s never happening with valid reasoning?
I guess it is. And there's not much of a problem with every Pokémon having the "(Pokémon)" in their name other than being so Captain Obvious. And with 809 Pokémon, it can take a while to move them all and relink pages.

Somewhat related:

If anything, I'm more annoyed by something like "Red (game)", because there is a game that is called Red, but that's not what the page is referring to... Perhaps something like "Red (game character)" would be more accurate.

Somewhat related:

If anything, I'm more annoyed by something like "Red (game)", because there is a game that is called Red, but that's not what the page is referring to... Perhaps something like "Red (game character)" would be more accurate.

Maybe. That could be less confusing if you specify him as a character instead of a "game." But then, would Red (Origins) have to be Red (Origins character)? Or Red (Ruby-Sapphire) should be Red (Ruby-Sapphire manga character)? Sometimes it could get wordy if you just add the word "character" to the parenthesis. I think Red (game) should be simply Red, and the current page with that title should be Red (disambiguation).

i realize i'm a brand new user here... and that this thread is a few weeks old... but i think it's kind of dumb not to make a completely sensible change just because you would have to change the links to those pages

another wiki i frequent recently removed "Quest:" as an identifier because it was no longer necessary and made page names look cluttered. said wiki has nearly five times as many content pages than bulbapedia, but everything was squared away in a few days (aka not months) because a bot did 99.9% of the work. there was of course the issue of some bot-edited links suddenly directing to wrong pages, but manually finding and fixing them didn't take months either

Last edited:
Doesn’t searching for the species name without (Pokémon) redirect you to its page anyway? You don’t need to type (Pokémon) after the species name in the search bar.

Same goes for moves and abilities. Type the name of a move or ability and you'll be directed to its page, with "(move)" or "(Ability)" in the title.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom