• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil it.

Link Snivy

Reaction score
I am a super fan of Pokemon games, as most of us here are, but i don't think people should order Japanese Pokemon games. I know i cant change anyone's minds but i don't get why people do it. I also want to let them know that it kinda spoils it for the people who don't order it from the Japanese. on you-tube there are so many walkthroughs of Pokemon games and you cant help but look.Then i regret it. Does anyone else feel this way, and why do you pre-order if you can't understand the game in Japanese. No offense to Japanese people who speak Japanese and pre-order.

Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

It's funny... I grab Japanese copies of the games, and I'm learning Japanese (the games give me a reason to use the skills I learn), yet... I kinda have to agree with you. I mean, I didn't really want spoilers for B2W2 (I still haven't ordered my copy yet), but everywhere I went for the first few days after the release was a giant threat of spoilers. Granted, it was BulbaGarden's own BulbaNewsNow twitter feed that spoiled way too much for me before I could unfollow the stupid account, but I saw YouTube walkthroughs and Let's Plays galore, people constantly posting spoilers, etc. So, yeah, I do kinda agree with you on that front. People should be more careful with spoilers.

-Edit-

I should add that said spoilers have contributed to my hesitation on getting the game. I mean, I had very big plot and character points spoiled for me right out of the gate. It's made me wonder if getting the game now is worth the money.

Last edited:
Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

Personally, I think it's silly, and I don't know why most people can't just wait until it comes out in their respective country.

The only exception is, of course, if you can understand most of what's being said. But if you can't understand a single word of Japanese, then how on earth are you going to understand what's going on? Even with my very basic knowledge of Japanese, I would never waste my money on a Japanese version of the games just because I couldn't wait for the English version.

I think it's okay for people to order the Japanese versions, but it should be just common courtesy for spoilers to be labeled accordingly. Unfortunately, some people are not so courteous.

I actually need to remind myself to unfollow BulbanewsNOW, at least for the time being, since I have a tendency to skip their Tweets in fear of spoilers.

If they can understand Japanese then I think it's fine, but if not then I find it to be a waste of money. It's understandable to order if the game isn't coming out for a really long time, but four months isn't that long a wait. I just ignore the walkthroughs and stuff since I can't uderstand what's going on, plus pokemon is a boring game to watch others play.

I don't care either way, it's their game/money.

I ordered White 2 and I don't know a lick of Japanese. And you know what? I regret nothing. I'll still be surprised when playing the English version because while I'm playing I have no idea of what the characters are saying of what the plot is. Despite all of that, I can still say it's my favorite Pokemon game so far.

I've done it for White, and I'm likely to do it again for B2/W2. I use Japanese games as study aids because I enjoy studying in a way that's fun for me, and since Pokémon is my favourite game and the vocabulary is relatively easy, it's a perfect choice.

As for spoilers, I don't post them. But if you're really bothered by spoilers, then it's not that hard to avoid them, and it shouldn't be anyone else's fault if you "can't help but look." Also, people who preorder have as much right to look at walkthroughs made by other people who have the games as anyone else.

I have not bought B2/W2 yet, but I've managed to keep myself unspoiled with very little effort. I'm probably going to buy the Japanese version whether it's already released in English or not, because I enjoyed studying with Japanese White.

Either way, people can do whatever they please with their hard-earned money, and I'm in no position to judge them.

I've done it for White, and I'm likely to do it again for B2/W2. I use Japanese games as study aids because I enjoy studying in a way that's fun for me, and since Pokémon is my favourite game and the vocabulary is relatively easy, it's a perfect choice.

As for spoilers, I don't post them. But if you're really bothered by spoilers, then it's not that hard to avoid them, and it shouldn't be anyone else's fault if you "can't help but look." Also, people who preorder have as much right to look at walkthroughs made by other people who have the games as anyone else.

I have not bought B2/W2 yet, but I've managed to keep myself unspoiled with very little effort. I'm probably going to buy the Japanese version whether it's already released in English or not, because I enjoyed studying with Japanese White.

Either way, people can do whatever they please with their hard-earned money, and I'm in no position to judge them.

Actually, you'd be. I constantly use Bulbapedia as a guide for items and trainers. So when I'm playing through white and using it as a guide, I still get spoilers. They spoiled that Cheren became a Gym Leader and Iris became the Champion. Just reading through posts on the forums, I find out about the Pokemon World Tournament, Hidden Hollow, and other new features. Some of the things I don't care about, like the new Kyurem form and the new repel feature, but there are some plot points I want to find myself.

Yeah... You obviously didn't run into the massive amount of B2W2 spoilers that BNN posted on Twitter. It was one giant rapid-fire stream that I ended up waking up to in the morning (which, if you couldn't tell from my previous post, I'm STILL bitter about). As @toonytown said, you also run into them on Bulbapedia. It's honestly difficult to avoid spoilers, and it seems like people just don't care if they utterly ruin a game for another player.

Fair enough, and I don't disagree. I admit that I probably shouldn't have implied that I was completely unspoiled, as I did find out about the aforementioned plot points regarding Iris and Cheren. I also didn't mean to make it seem like I was blaming those who were accidentally spoiled. I don't follow BNN on Twitter, so I don't know what spoilers were contained in it or if I already saw them. I honestly wasn't aware of that. Truth told, those spoilers didn't bother me that much, but I can understand why it would bother others and I can respect that.

I will go back and revise my point a little bit to be more fair. I don't have any problem with walkthroughs and Let's Play videos and the like because those can be easily avoided, and are useful to people who already have the games. However, I will gladly agree that "in-your-face" spoilers like the Twitter feed TeraDyne mentioned or unmarked spoilers on the forums or Bulbapedia are a little unfair to people who don't want to be spoiled as that's unpredictable and hard to avoid. I completely agree with TeraDyne's initial post that people should be careful with spoilers.

However, I still say that it's no reason to say that people who preorder or play the Japanese games for their own reasons are "wrong" for doing so, as the OP seemed (to me) to imply.

I apologise for any misunderstanding in my original post.

Your issue seems to be with people who spoil games, rather than with people who order the Japanese releases.

People who deliberately spoil games are dicks. People who accidentally do it are careless but not culpable. People who order and play the Japanese versions, without spoiling it, are surely not a problem.

Unless someone is deliberately spoiling things, it's not really anyone's fault but your own if you happen across such information. After all, if you really are bothered by spoilers, why not take steps to ensure that you don't see them? For instance, don't go pay attention to anything other than official sources and mass-media previews (reviews, if you're adventurous) before your purchase.

So you can't help but actively search for spoilers on youtube, or, in the event you see it suggested, can't help but actively click

._.

I think the problem here is your self-control, so why don't you work on that before telling people what they can't do. Even on forums, the discussions are more or less placed in one forum, you can also edit your settings to not see avatars and signatures. Before telling others what they should do, ensure you did all you can.

Last edited:

Also, BW2 are in such a unique situation with spoilers because of the plot continuation and familiar characters.

I know practically nothing in Japanese, so when a new gen comes out, I can watch Youtube walkthroughs of major battles (played by equally clueless people who don't understand the language) and not know a thing about the characters or what context they're in. (I watched the final battles of the first BW in Japanese before they came out in English, but was still mindblown when I got to that part myself in the English games because I finally knew the context.) I've also seen some Pokemon movies in Japanese with English subs, but still watched the dubbed movies when they were released.

The only BW2 spoilers I've read so far are either game mechanic-related (what I HAVE to know to help build my team and give me a sense of what we're in for), or stuff that's been widely speculated by fans before release and mentioned in trailers. I've also turned sigs off here for the next few months and only read certain BW2 threads. Just like with the first games before the English release, I don't know the meat of the actual plot yet.

Staying on topic, I think people that know Japanese well should go right ahead, but those that don't won't get full enjoyment of what's playing on the game system screen.

Although, I admit, my anticipation is building.

I'd rather experience it in my primary language for the first playthrough. I'll be B2 when it's out in English, I can't wait.

Patience is golden and all that.

Personally, I think it's just a waste of time and money, especially if you can't even understand Japanese - id rather like to know what I'm doing and what the others are saying rather than have no clue about it, thank you very much. Not knowing what the heck is going on kinda ruins the fun of the game.

Sure, some of us like spoilers, but really, I think it's pointless unless you understand Japanese.

If you understand Japanese, then good for you. You're basically getting the English games several months earlier.

If you don't, have fun forking over 40 bucks for a waste of time and effort.

As long as the person bought the game and enjoyed whether they know Japanese or not, it's not a waste money to them.

As long as the person bought the game and enjoyed whether they know Japanese or not, it's not a waste money to them.

So buying a game in a language you can't understand isn't a waste of money now?

Bear in mind that Pokemon is not like Super Mario 3D Land, where the dialogue is really a minor part of the game. Pokemon is a game that requires the ability to read what is being said.

So buying a game in a language you can't understand isn't a waste of money now?

Who are you to decide? Many people hardly pay attention to dialogue after playing many years, and it's mostly pretty straightforward otherwise. If you just want to test the new things with the game, I would hardly say it would be a waste of money, the pokémon are still the same.

Also, the title of this thread is pretty way off. "Is it right", what kind of question is that? As for spoiling it, does that even matter when you can have loads of information about the game without even buying it?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom