• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil it.

Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

I'm pretty sure spoilers would still be floating around regardless of importers.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

I'm pretty sure spoilers would still be floating around regardless of importers.

Just saying.

But they would be much less abundant and more easily avoided.

But they would be much less abundant and more easily avoided.

Not really. There's load of pre-release coverage, and what has usually happened with the DS games is that the ROM get dumped reasonably quickly, opening up for extraction of all kinds of data, not to mention loads of people will play it like that anyways (I'm not going to say this is a good/bad thing, all I'm saying is that it happens, regardless of what we think about it).

I don't. It gives me a lesser appreciation of the game's story.

I don't really have an opinion on whether or not other people should buy it in Japanese or play it early. Like someone above me, I don't think "is right" is the best way to word it.

If you have the money (or aren't buying it with your money) by all means go ahead. I know beginning Japanese (high school offered it), I'm excited for them to come out, but I wouldn't spend the $40-$60 dollars on a Japanese copy of a game when I can just wait a few months for it to come out in English [or Spanish or French] so I could understand it fully.

The thing that bothers me is that Spoilers are discussed in this thread without warning (Hello! Use spoiler tags!). I had been doing a pretty good job avoiding spoilers until now because I personally don't like them, don't go out of my way to youtube them, and would really like to play the game myself and discover all this my first time through. I'm not upset that I now know _____ and _____ are Gym leaders or Bunnies or Presidents or whatnot, I really have never cared about that stuff, just be courteous and put that info in a Spoiler tag, please! Especially since this thread is focused partially on Spoilers!

For example,
I'm beta-testing Dawnguard, but you don't see me spoiling plot points and quests and its epic-ness all over the place.

Last edited:

So buying a game in a language you can't understand isn't a waste of money now?

What is or isn't a waste of money is only for the person spending the money to decide. If the person in question enjoys the game, and it fulfilled whatever expectations he/she had of it, then it's not a waste of money. If I bought a game in my native language and I hated it, then that was, to me, a complete waste of money. But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.

People enjoy games in different ways. You like to play games in a language you understand so you can get the most out of the story. That's great, I'm happy for you, I truly hope you have hours of fun with it. And I have just as much fun playing a game I love, and at the same time furthering my knowledge of a language that I have chosen to learn. So how am I "wrong" for enjoying the game in that way?

But hey, no worries, mate. I'll go waste me money in whatever way I deem fit, and the fact that it rustles some people's jimmies is of no consequence to me.

But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.

Did you even read what I said?

You're assuming that Japanese is a language you understand at least partially, or are attempting to learn.

I'm assuming that Japanese is a language you cannot understand period and are not attempting to learn.

If you just want to test the new things with the game, I would hardly say it would be a waste of money, the pokémon are still the same.

Pretty true.

But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.

You're assuming that Japanese is a language you understand at least partially, or are attempting to learn.

I'm assuming that Japanese is a language you cannot understand period and are not attempting to learn.

Even in this case, the point still stands that if a person who has absolutely no knowledge of the Japanese language imports a game that has text entirely in Japanese still enjoys playing that game, then in that person's eyes, the purchase was not a waste of money. You may consider it a waste of money, and therefore do not choose to import, but your choice is not the same choice that everyone else will choose.

Also, as far as spoilers go, it's certainly true that the internet is a wretched hive of scum and spoilers. However, we all know this fact. The internet is not going to stop spoiling things just because you want it to. It is entirely up to you to avoid these spoilers if you want your experience to remain pure. For example: why on earth would you choose to follow BulbaNews Now on Twitter, when you KNOW that they're going to be posting such spoilers the instant they know about them? If you are the sort of person who enjoys watching Let's Plays and other such video walkthroughs, it is simply up to you to choose not to watch those videos.

. However, we all know this fact. The internet is not going to stop spoiling things just because you want it to. It is entirely up to you to avoid these spoilers if you want your experience to remain pure. For example: why on earth would you choose to follow BulbaNews Now on Twitter, when you KNOW that they're going to be posting such spoilers the instant they know about them? If you are the sort of person who enjoys watching Let's Plays and other such video walkthroughs, it is simply up to you to choose not to watch those videos.

That's the problem. Someone like me might NOT know that BNN would post outright spoilers in the clear. I wasn't expecting them to post major plot and character points out in the clear, and I woke up to a massive flood of such spoilers on my Twitter timeline. I had followed them solely for breaking news, and I learned my lesson.

So, BNN, twitter subset of BulbaNews with the expressed purpose of getting you news as soon as it arrives (i.e., not verified) isn't obvious enough that they're going to be reporting spoilers? Why else would you bother following BNN when it's only useful around these big news moments. It's fairly obvious what constitutes as "Breaking News" in a Pokemon forum.

So, BNN, twitter subset of BulbaNews with the expressed purpose of getting you news as soon as it arrives (i.e., not verified) isn't obvious enough that they're going to be reporting spoilers? Why else would you bother following BNN when it's only useful around these big news moments. It's fairly obvious what constitutes as "Breaking News" in a Pokemon forum.

This wasn't "breaking news". They outright started listing names, teams and details about the gym leaders and E4/Champion, spoiled plot points that weren't part of any official press release or news, and posted a lot of things that weren't "news" in any sense of the word.

Yes, I did read what you said.

You said:

So buying a game in a language you can't understand isn't a waste of money now?

There. I read it once more. Believe me, I do see where you're coming from, but my point still stands. Yes, I used myself as an example, but I never said that was the only reason people buy the Japanese games. It's the same point any way you want to slice it. If you enjoyed the game, then it wasn't a waste of money, regardless of your reasons for buying a foreign game. The same would apply for a fan who doesn't speak a lick of English, and bought one of the localised releases (assuming it was never localised in their native language) cos he just wanted to have a go at Pokémon. If he enjoyed it, then it was money well spent, if not then he wasted his quid.

You're saying that buying a game in a language you can't understand is a waste of money, time, and effort. I'm simply saying it isn't as black and white (pun not intended) as you're making it out to be.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset over this. I've imported 3 Japanese games now (HG, Black, and White 2) and I don't speak Japanese at all but I don't feel like my experience changed any from playing English games (I have all of them btw). It's not like pokemon has this amazingly complicated plot that you can't figure out, it's the same general story line every single time. Get 8 badges, beat Team Bad, then fight the Elite Four all while catching all the mons you can. It's super simple really. I thoroughly enjoyed playing through my Japanese games and I don't feel like I "wasted" my money or time. To be honest, I don't understand why it matters or why anyone cares whether someone else buys a game in Japanese. To me it seems like spoilers are avoidable for the most part. It's no one's fault that one can't stay away from youtube and watch Let's Plays and walkthrough or unfollow a pokemon twitter.

Don't care about other people, but I really don't want them to list walkthroughs and stuff. I'm replaying Black version, and I need to know some egg moves for breeding, but I can't visit any pokemon related site in case people uploaded spoilers

I already tasted bitterness when someone uploaded that Akuroma was a Plasma related figure. That kind of stuff is huge and please I'd rather not hear anymore spoilers

Spoilers would come regardless of importers, ROM leaks makes that quite redundant anyways (will be interesting to see what happens with the 3DS games though, but that's for another time). Speaking from personal experience, it's pretty easy to avoid spoilers at all, and I will certainly do the same when gen VI comes around. Putting the blame on others when you go to pokémon sites exactly when a new game is being leaked is a pretty weak excuse if you ask me, seeing that it's pretty obvious that every fansite will try to get as much information out as fast as possible. Besides, for egg moves or other specific pokémon information, you could just go directly to "bulbapeblablabla/wiki/Pokémonnamehere" or some other pokémon fansite and avoid spoilers altogether.

Once again, putting the blame on importers for the fact that you saw one thing you didn't want is a pretty weak excuse if you ask me.

If you don't want to see content from Japanese games before their localised releases, just don't look. No one is forcing you to look at all these YouTube walkthroughs and stuff (besides, BNN and other fan sites got most of their news from 2ch, a Japanese website that Japanese players were posting on). As for whether people should import or not, it's their money, their choice.

I own Japanese copies of Red, Ruby, Ranger, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver, White and White 2. I have no knowledge of Japanese and I regret nothing. The Pokémon games are ones that you can play in any language just fine (and let's be honest, the storylines in Pokémon games aren't really that great anyway).

(Also I love the irony at how some spoilers you guys are talking about aren't in spoiler tags).

I've played through Black in Japanese, and it didn't ruin my experience, I enjoyed it and I have no knowledge of Japanese. It was actually fun to play through blind like that. Because of sites like Bulbapedia, I had help when I needed it and I got lost a few times, but that happens to me in English games too. Pokemon is easy to play through in Japanese IMO, I say if you really dont want to wait, then you can import, you might have to look stuff up while playing but other than that its much the same as playing through in your own language. It also helped me with my English play through since I then knew where to go in game so it was easy to just play through it.

Well, I don't know Japanese (Even though I want to), but I wouldn't buy the Japanese Version anyways Because: I only have a 3DS (its region-locked), and I want to avoid spoilers anyways.

I don't have a problem with it. I can understand most of it just fine in Japanese, it's not that hard, and I hate the wait between countries. Of course, I've never actually pre-ordered a Japanese game (no money XD), but I will on the next games. But I do wonder about people who can understand absolutely no Japanese, wouldn't that kind of ruin the fun? Pokémon games are simple enough that you don't actually need to read anything to finish the game, but I think it's a lot nicer reading the cheesy dialogue :p

But I do wonder about people who can understand absolutely no Japanese, wouldn't that kind of ruin the fun? Pokémon games are simple enough that you don't actually need to read anything to finish the game, but I think it's a lot nicer reading the cheesy dialogue :p
Well, I think the thing is that everyone plays games for a different reason than the other person. Some people like compelling narratives, and others like just like the gameplay. Others like a good balance of both, and a lesser few may like it to study the mechanics and inner-workings of the game. So if your only concern with gameplay and absolutely nothing else or if you're into studying the mechanics of the game, an import will do just as well as a localized version of the game.

With that said, I, again, don't care how people spend their time and money. I listen to music in all different languages and people tell me the same thing. "But how can you enjoy it if you don't understand it?!" Although at least with music, it's a little easier to explain because audio is the primary focus no matter which way you look at it, but with games, it's harder to justify it to people who don't understand that your reason for playing doesn't necessarily require a localized version, or in some cases (such as those in this topic who have expressed interest in learning Japanese) is even more relevant to them than the localized version. However, I don't like importing games, myself, because I do like following the narrative.

As for how it spoils the game, if you ever deliberately click on "Pokémon Black 2/White 2 Walkthrough" or any upcoming video game walkthrough on YouTube or anywhere else, that is definitely completely your own fault and not anyone else's. I can empathize with spoilers as a result of reading Bulbapedia, but you do have to understand that it is a resource website first and foremost that specializes in quick, accurate, and up-to-date information on the spot. If you want information on a specific video game in a series without the upcoming titles being spoiled, I would recommend avoiding Wikis and opt for GameFAQs or IGN walkthroughs instead.

Although it does sort of peeve me when people post spoilers on message boards without putting them in spoiler tags or at least putting SPOILERS: in the thread title. I would hate for the suspense of Megatron dying at the end of Black 2/White 2 to be ruined.

I know I've already replied to this topic, but I figured I'd go into more detail since I didn't read the opening post quite as thoroughly last time.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom