• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do You Balance Your Team?

Yes, in every game since Colosseum, apart from my second team in Platinum which has 2 Flying type Pokémon (Dragonite and Togekiss) and my team in Pearl which has 2 Steel type Pokémon (Empoleon and Lucario) I've had parties with Pokémon of Grass, Fire, Water and Electric and for the types of the other two pokémon one is super effective against the other. The pokémon which don't make a balanced team are evolved forms of pokémon which would make a balanced team.

Last edited:
I try too.
Most of my team Pokemons ( 2 of them ) are fighting types
And almost all of my team has rock and earth weakness.

I normally do I normally have a Fire-type, a Water-type, a Grass-type, a Dragon-type an Electric-type, and a Steel-type normally more than one of those covered by a Pokemon, which leaves room for a Pokemon I like the look of, but in White I seemed to end up with 2 Dragon-types (Zekrom and Hydregion), and in my last playthrough of Diamond, I ended up with 2 steel-types (Empoleon and Dialga).

In-game, I always make sure to have a Grass-type, a Fire-type, a Water-type, a Flying-type and two other types (usually at least one Fighting or Psychic-type).

Competetively, I focus more on the strategy. Although I try to avoid having Pokémon with too many shared types or weaknesses, and if I have to have multiple Pokémon of the same type, I make sure to have other types and moves to try and counter any specific threats and weaknesses my team may have.

I've had a Grass/Fire/Water core in the games for as long as I can remember. I don't have a single game that doesn't have at least one of each of those types. That's mostly because of my obsession with the Starters though. The other three, I choose depending on what I like, what is good and what has synergy with my team.

Just a point of note, a team doesn't have to have a G/F/W core for it to be balanced. A team is balanced as long as it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and all the team members can support each other, regardless of their types.

I try to balance my teams, although they might not be good teams, considering I don't play, competitively. Regardless, my White Version team consists of a Water-type, Grass-type, Bug-type, Flying-type, Fire-type and Dragon-type.

Really any in game team can be used to beat the game, whether its balanced or not. Obviously it'll be easier with some teams than others, but you'll still beat the game. At a certain point your pokemon reach the level that the typing stops to matter.

I'm not sure if this is what is considered balancing but I usually try to make a team with strengths against as many of they types as I can. Although I don't always feel the need to cover the normal type with a fighting type guy because it just isn't that much of a threat in game to me and a lot of guys can learn fighting type moves. my team for white is Serperior, Swoobat, Darmanitan, Krookodile, Galvantula, and Jellicent

When playing for the first time? No not really. I just make sure I have a water type.

Really any in game team can be used to beat the game, whether its balanced or not. Obviously it'll be easier with some teams than others, but you'll still beat the game. At a certain point your pokemon reach the level that the typing stops to matter.

That may be true, but I still like to keep balance. :)

I usually want to balance my team, & I plan to balance my team, but it becomes a tedious headache, so I just go with the pokes I like/want to use. Hell, my current Black team has three dragon types! (refer to sig). Regardless, my teams are usually balanced for the most part with maybe 1 or 2 repeat types.

Yes. My teams come out pretty balanced usually although I don't sit and plan my team in advance. Usually I'll make sure I have a water type, and then go from there.

Although it is true that nearly any team can beat the games. I beat the game with like a level 80 something Blaziken and the other strongest member of my team was a level thirteen something I can't remember.

I always have the three starters with me. Now, if I am just Pokemon collecting, I wouldn't, especially if I am capturing pokemon just to turn around and train to evolve them. When I do this, I just have my HM slave pokemon with me.

My battling team usually consists of:
the three starters, a flying (or at least part flying type), an electric, and a dragon

Yes I balance my teams in many aspects...

-Never have more than two Pokemon weak to a certain type.
-Always balance out on Special and Physical Defence.
-Always balance out on Special and Physical Attack.
-Always have a variation of types (Pokemon and Moves) to balance out super effective damage on foe's.
-Always have a balance on High Speed and Low Speed Pokemon.
-Never have the same item on more than one Pokemon.

There are other little things I do, but this works surprisingly well for me in competitive battle. I have been playing Pokemon since Gen 1 and have learnt a lot about balancing teams.

A balanced team can help you win battles and gives it adaptability for unexpected foe's. I don't always win, but I win a lot because of this.

I always use Dragons and Ice. Sometime i use specialties. like on black im using a Victini. Im also using Lugia cause its my favorite pokemon.

I do balance my team. To the point where I box all of the early Pokemon I don't want without even considering training them. I end up with a full team of six Pokemon around the sixth or seventh Gym only. I use Bulbapedia etc. to plan out when I get each Pokemon and whether or not its strong enough before I play the game to pull the best in-game team together. After all, these are my forerunner Pokemon for the game, so I grab them well. I also tend to omit Pokemon that only appear late in the game, because I want a full team that's trained to the right levels by the time the Elite Four rolls around. I also try to choose the Pokemon that have all different dual types, so I end up with twelve of the seventeen types on my game team anyway which gives me the best STAB coverage. In fact, when it comes to battling I rely especially on dual-typed Pokemon. I count them ahead of single-type Pokemon all day, since they have double the advantages (and only sometimes double the weakness. I never competitively use Pokemon with 4x weakness). Double-typed sweepers are the best.

And when it comes to competitive (be it Wi-fi or Battle Facilities in-game) battling, I make sure my three Pokemon for the various facilities bounce off of each other well enough. It's super hard to coordinate my special sweeper Hydreigon though. My best bet has been dual physical sweepers: Archeops and Excadrill. But fighting is my main issue there, which does at least normal damage to all of them. I only have that problem in the third round, when all three Pokemon to a team use Focus Blast efficiently (almost too efficiently, damn hax...). I think I'll switch in an Alakazam for either Archeops or Excadrill, going with dual special sweepers instead...

Ugh, but yeah, I do coordinate very meticulously, that's the point I'm trying to make. My most rounded team was my SS team...with Feraligatr (physical sweeper), Victreebel (physical sweeper), and Ninetales (special sweeper). Notice how much I rely on Sweepers? Well, that's a different thread.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom