• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you believe in aliens?

Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Yes, but they've never visited Earth

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Yes, but there's no other sentient life

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Unsure/I don't know

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
I belive, but they're genetic structures are not as advanced as us, in this part of the galaxy anyway.

4ac1a1c3e0f903e8ed70359a4bb99466.png

N= Number of alien civilizations
R* = annual rate of star production in our solar system
fp = fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = average number of planets that can possibly support life per planet-bearing star
fℓ = fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at any point
fi = fraction of the above that go on to develop actually intelligent life
fc = fraction of civilizations that can conceive and produce a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time it takes for that civilization to release those signals

R* = 7/year (7 stars formed per year currently)
fp = 0.5 (half of all stars formed will have planets)
ne = 2 (stars with planets will have 2 planets capable of developing life)
fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
fi = 0.01 (1% of which will be intelligent life)
fc = 0.01 (1% of which will be able to communicate)
L = 10,000 years

N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 2.31

Therefore, 2 communicative civilizations exist in our galaxy at any given time.

tl;dr yeah.

Yes, I think there are civilisations of aliens going about their lives right now just as we are here. It's interesting to think about how they might be similar to us, not just different.

Isn't Apollo 18 a mockumentary? I'm still confused. :S

Aliens are not an excuse to explain the unexplained. That's why man invented God.

You need to do real research before you make these kinds of sweeping, shallow proclamations, because by the time you've finished at least one book on philosophy, human psychology, or theology (take your pick), you'll realise how silly they are making you sound.

4ac1a1c3e0f903e8ed70359a4bb99466.png

N= Number of alien civilizations
R* = annual rate of star production in our solar system
fp = fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = average number of planets that can possibly support life per planet-bearing star
fℓ = fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at any point
fi = fraction of the above that go on to develop actually intelligent life
fc = fraction of civilizations that can conceive and produce a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time it takes for that civilization to release those signals

R* = 7/year (7 stars formed per year currently)
fp = 0.5 (half of all stars formed will have planets)
ne = 2 (stars with planets will have 2 planets capable of developing life)
fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
fi = 0.01 (1% of which will be intelligent life)
fc = 0.01 (1% of which will be able to communicate)
L = 10,000 years

N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 2.31

Therefore, 2 communicative civilizations exist in our galaxy at any given time.

tl;dr yeah.

That's Drake's Equation, right? Very reassuring when it comes to wondering if there is anything out there.

I'm one of those people that fully believes that there is life on other planets, and if not, there's life somewhere. I'm one of those people that just know for a fact that we humans definitely aren't alone in this galaxy/universe, and it would definitely be something unusual if we were(which I highly doubt anyway).

But yeah I do really believe in other life forms, wherever they may be.

Aliens? No.

Life on other planets? Yes.

Honestly, I'm conflicted about that. I think there could be, but judging by the fact that there aren't any other planets capable of supporting life in Earth's vicinity, we might be alone. I would think there would be more planets that could be capable of supporting life. There might be more in every galaxy, though. If aliens do exist, either they haven't found us yet, they're just bacterial/single cell organisms, or they haven't figured out how to get to space yet. Or the Halo rings killed them all

Aliens have to be out there somewhere, they just have to be.

It's very lucky there's even life on Earth, but the universe is bigger than anyone could possibly imagine, there has got to be another planet that meets the exact same requirements. Unfortunately, these aliens live so far away, it's extremely unlikely we will ever meet each other.

I really don't think their are. If they are out there, then I'm glad they haven't come to Earth. That would just cause problems.

Considering how large the universe is, it's very difficult for me to believe that Earth is just some wild anomaly that happened to be perfect for life to start. There are innumerable stars and solar systems out there. Even if there's not intelligent life, there's certainly other lifeforms existing out there, in my opinion. No comment on whether any have been to Earth. In all likelihood, probably not.

ABSOLUTELY (not).

It's not by chance Earth happened. The simple fact that it is so close to impossible for life to make itself that there has to be a deity.

I voted no.
I really don't believe that there are aliens.
If there are aliens, there's no way that they've visited Earth. There's no life-supporting planets out there close enough for a trip to Earth to have even been possible.

Yeah, No.
I'm one of those people who absolutely do not believe in aliens or in the possibility of them, and I have my reasons.
But it's mainly because until now - and probably forever - the idea of aliens is made up and has no valid basis of belief.

No, just no. I just don't see how they could exist.

I'm glad you had different options for this poll, because it annoys me when people ask "Do you believe in aliens?" when what they really mean is "Do you believe we've made contact with aliens?" or "Do you believe in Roswell conspiracy theory bullshit?"

I think it's extremely unlikely that we are completely alone in the universe, and that there is no sentient life anywhere in the vastness of space. I don't see how anyone can think that is the case, really. The universe is so huge, how can you really believe that Earth is the only one in ALL OF THAT that has life on it - especially when we've found other Earthlike planets out there?

But when it comes to them actually having landed on earth - I'll believe it when I see good evidence of it, and none of the conspiracy theories out there provide any of that.

Back
Top Bottom