• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you believe in blood types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.S. Shadow Minun

is back for 2014
Reaction score
Everytime I enter this forum, many guys here are talking about just anime/manga instead of entire Japan-related things, so I decided to create a forum thread about blood types, which is very popular among Japanese these days.

Many Japanese people believe that blood types can affect different personalities. For example, Type-O is very optimistic while Type-AB is more sociable. Blood types can also express negative traits. For example, Type-A is somewhat fastidious (big on cleaniness or picky) while Type-B can be the unforgiven ones.

The blood type thread already exists, so you don't need to post your blood types here.

The only thing I want to ask you, do you believe blood types can affect different personalities?

I'd read about that a while ago. I don't really think blood types would affect personality. It makes no sense whatsoever. I wouldn't believe it unless they proved it with a scientific study. It's fun to think about, though.

I think it affects little things, but not a whole personality or too much of it.

While I don't think blood types affect every person personality wise, I think it is interesting to see in manga and anime because it does give you that kind of feel for a person. Such as the optimisticness for a blood type B person(example; Minako Aino from Sailor Moon). It might be easier for an author to determine blood type for a character while having those little things in mind.

For myself, I don't particularly believe in it, but it hasn't been proven either way, so...

The Far East Asian countries seem to believe in the traits - not just Japanese, but Korean people also believe in blood-types as well.

Anyways, I don't believe it, but the media somehow shapes people into how a blood-type is supposed to be. Say, a lot of genius and detectives in Japanese anime/dramas tend to be AB. Heroes and shounen boys like Naruto and Luffy are B-typed. The best-friends and/or friendly sidekicks are usually O, and the shy people are A.

Speaking of A-types, Okumura Rin, the main hero boy in The Blue Exorcist, is A-typed and he shows noticeably different traits from Naruto or Luffy who are both B-typed. But anyways, yeah - I guess popular culture influence people a lot about blood-types.

in real life i think that blood type determining your personality is a bunch of malarkey. i think that because my personality would have my blood as types A, B and AB. i belive that the personallity is made by the person and not thier blood. compartivly speaking, the car engine's personallity is determined of how it is was made (size, cylenders, valves, block material, ect) while oil (blood) would not overly matter if you put a different grade into the engine (blood type). i think it is something that is Media Fabricated unless we can get some Multiple studys shown that this has a scientific connection between blood type and personallity.

This is a very interesting subject, and I applaud you for starting this thread. It's nice coming to LotRS to see something other than manga or anime topics. That aside, I'm not sure how true the blood type thing is, but people generally guess mine's pretty easily here. They always guess, "B", and they're right. I, apparently, have a B-type personality. Very laid-back.

It's probably no different from the western zodiac or the chinese zodiac. For the western zodiac, my sign is the Libra. I'm a very stereotypical Libra, almost do a fault. Maybe there's some truth in it. Same with my eastern sign, rooster. I'd assume that blood types may work the same way. There's some truth in it, but shouldn't be taken too seriously.

iirc it was a pseudoscientific theory to begin with. There's no truth to it.

I do not oppose this theory but I do not support it neither. I personaly think it's more like a trend in Japan right now. I am not from Japan so I can't be sure though. Also I believe that if blood did affect our character it would be on a very small scale. But since there are no valid scientific evidence that prove this theory right or wrong, of which I am aware of at least I try not take sides.

Well, for starters, my mom, sister and I all have the same basic blood type (my sister is Rh negative and my mom and I are positive, but we're all AB) and we all have wildly different personalities. And none of us quite fits the description in blood type horoscopes.

It's no more BS than the idea that the year you were born (as in Chinese astrology) or where the heavenly bodies were in the sky when you were born (as in Western astrology) determine your personality, of course. They're all pretty BS.

Blood types are probably a bit more logical than those, actually, since they do follow the basic idea that your family has a big impact on who you become, and blood types are genetic.

No, that's one of those hilarious cultural things that make no sense. Although I am a clean freak with A blood type, so who knows? XD

I don't really think so, it's sort of like the zodiac and astrological signs. My mom firmly believes in blood type personalities. lol, whenever we go out she plays the blood type guessing game XD, but I don't think it's a fad because she's been doing it as far as I can remember.

I believe that Western Zodiac, Chinese Zodiac and Blood Types are all based in a certain theory. The "traits" they are supposed to give people can be more or less found on all people, making every person associable with any zodiac/type traits.

AKA, if O's are supposedly optimistic, you are prejudiced in viewing those traits upon a person of the O type. Well, I am an O type myself, and I can pretty much see traits of all types in me, not just mine.

i don't believe in it any more or less than i believe in horoscopes (which isn't much). i like reading my horoscope in the newspaper for fun but that's about it XD i don't think your blood type, or the month you were born, or the year you were born, or whatever, has much impact, period.

i think it's neat though that anime/manga creators define stuff like that for characters though... i guess just because of the extra effort they took to define the character. i always wondered why every manga bio had blood types in it until i learned about this blood type horoscope thing, haha.

I agree with the general consensus here: I don't think one's blood type affects their personality really. Blood type could affect your physical/metabolic processes, though, which indirectly could affect your mood. (i.e. If you have a high metabolism but don't snack enough throughout the day, you could experience constant hunger and thus act slightly crankier than you usually would.)

Still, it is a neat little detail anime/manga creators add to their characters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom