• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you believe it is possibility Misty and Brock could become main characters again?

danh19

Reaction score
Before sun and moon if someone asked me if Misty and Brock would ever return to the series I would have said it is very unlikely, but with the decent screen time and moments they getting I wonder as unlikely as it may be is their a small possibility they will join ash on the main cast for the new upcoming series

I doubt it. They returned in SM to help celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime and they're in the upcoming movie because it seemingly is a remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back. They would still want eighth generation characters to help promote Sword/Shield. Besides that, I'm not sure if there would be a good in-universe explanation for why they'd travel with Ash again. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Brock since he's already traveling as a Pokemon Doctor in-training, but I can't really think of a reason why Misty would go with Ash when she is determined to be a good Gym Leader. They both would be better off traveling on their own than being in the main cast again.

I choose you was basically a remake of the original series but they wasn't in the key cast, so they could have left them out for the latest movie as well, which makes it interesting in my mind considering they no longer have reason to include them

It realistically be game characters on the main cast, I would actually agree with that I am not deluded, but their is small possibility with the production teams seeming obession with kanto

I choose you was basically a remake of the original series but they wasn't in the key cast, so they could have left them out for the latest movie as well, which makes it interesting in my mind considering they no longer have reason to include them

I Choose You wasn't really a remake. It was a reimagining of Ash's first journey through Kanto and they adapted events from the first season like the first episode, Ash catching Caterpie and taking in an abandoned Charmander after healing it, but that isn't the same thing as a remake of the original series. It basically told a new story by asking what if Ash's Kanto journey was different and he had the Rainbow Wing after seeing Ho-Oh. That's probably one reason why Misty and Brock weren't featured in the movie. They wanted to take Ash's Kanto journey in a different direction and having him travel with new characters instead would make that clearer to the audience. It would also be an easy way to see that the movie does take place in its own continuity.

Personally speaking, I honestly can't see how having Misty and Brock would have added anything significant to the movie. Sure, it would have been neat to see them in a new movie for the anime's 20th anniversary, but since the story was so focused on Ash and Pikachu, I'm not sure if Misty and Brock would have done more than just be fanservice in the movie. Besides that, I think their appearances in SM are more meaningful. They are included for fanservice too, but fans can actually see how they've progressed after leaving the cast and maybe get a bit more closure with them, which we wouldn't have gotten through AU versions of the characters.

Unlike I Choose You, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution seems to be more of a remake of the first movie, which is why Misty and Brock are there. We don't know how faithful of a remake this movie is going to be yet, but the trailer and images do imply that it's going to redo scenes from the movie in CGI, so there would be more of a reason to keep Misty and Brock around for this movie if they are going for a more faithful remake than there was for a reimagining of Ash's first journey through Kanto.

I am not saying they should have been in I choose you, and I said basically it was remake copying key moments from the original series, I didn't say it was actually full on remake

I thought about it but changed my mind, very very unlikely. There’s a difference between returning for 2 ep cameo arcs and an entire series. Misty hasn’t been a main character for what will be 17 years by Fall 2019 and they’ve brought in new female leads every gen who have nearly all become popular. Brock had also long since gotten stale in the cast before DP even began.

There’s just no reason for it. Misty/Brock also don’t really go through much character development on the cast so the writers would just be repeating the Johto saga where they were poorly handled already 15 years ago.

I would agree it is still very unlikely, but it is more likely than I would have said before sun and moon

I am not saying they should have been in I choose you, and I said basically it was remake copying key moments from the original series, I didn't say it was actually full on remake

That's still pretty inaccurate though. I Choose You isn't basically a remake because it adapted some key moments from the original series. It is a reimagining of Ash's beginning, which is different from a remake, and saying that it copied those moments also ignores how different most of those events play out in the movie compared to the show. It is possible that this upcoming movie could also be a reimagining of the first movie, although that seems a bit less likely by comparison, but it does seem to be more like an actual remake this time around.

I also know that you didn't say that they should have been in I Choose You. That was just my feelings on the immediate backlash the movie got once Misty and Brock weren't in it more than anything else.

Er, no. Them getting a few episodes in SuMo that were purely meant to tie into Gen 1 nostalgia =/= them rejoining Ash permanently IMO.

Please, please no. Even though I like Brock quite a bit, I would much rather the opportunity to have a new personality. I even do kind of like Misty, but to me everyone that followed her was more interesting, and having the opportunity to have new characters that we don't know yet is an exciting proposition. Also having a beginner can be quite fun (instead of pretending Ash is a beginner for example...), so I think it would be a huge shame if they forego new characters to bring back anyone from the past on a full time basis. unless it's May of course.

If it were just Brock, I'd be a-ok as long as he's not basically a satellite character as in DP. No thanks to Misty though; I've never really been a big fan of her.

I felt their was to much focus on doing their version of the episodes, which for me lacked the emotional depth of the episodes it felt like they was just going through it because they had no choice.

I actually liked the idea of the ho-ho elements because it was unique, but their was to much focus on doing their inferior version of the original episodes

Having just rewatched the SM cameo eps Misty says something about wanting to make Cerulean Gym the best gym in the world when she was shouting in that fireworks scene. I can't see her wanting to go traveling when she just said she wanted to stay at the Gym. As for Brock I guess he just has no real reason to travel with Ash anymore, back in Hoenn and DP he was rather aimless and just kept meeting up back with Ash because he had nothing else to do.

From a real world perspective the writers have no reason to use them again since bringing in a new female companion has worked almost every time and now the writers know they can bring in a new male companion every gen too. Most original fans are long out of the target audience. There's nothing they can do with them that's remotely interesting on the cast over new characters.

Having just rewatched the SM cameo eps Misty says something about wanting to make Cerulean Gym the best gym in the world when she was shouting in that fireworks scene. I can't see her wanting to go traveling when she just said she wanted to stay at the Gym. As for Brock I guess he just has no real reason to travel with Ash anymore, back in Hoenn and DP he was rather aimless and just kept meeting up back with Ash because he had nothing else to do.

I agree that it wouldn't make sense for Misty to travel with Ash when she wants to be a good Gym Leader, but I'm not sure if Brock just kept traveling with Ash in AG and DP because he had nothing else to do. He still had his goal of becoming the world's best Pokemon Breeder. Granted, they didn't really do much with the goal beyond raising and taking care of certain Pokemon, but I'm not sure if he was aimless exactly before wanting to become a Pokemon Doctor instead. Brock just wanted to keep traveling with Ash, even though their reunion in DP was initially more for comedy relief when he thought he had found a girlfriend.

yab said:
From a real world perspective the writers have no reason to use them again since bringing in a new female companion has worked almost every time and now the writers know they can bring in a new male companion every gen too. Most original fans are long out of the target audience. There's nothing they can do with them that's remotely interesting on the cast over new characters.

Yeah, that's one of the biggest reasons why I can't see them going back to the original trio for a whole series. Bringing in new characters not only helps them to better promote the new games, but it helps to make each series refreshing and different from each other. It allows for them to explore new concepts and storylines with new characters. It would be nice to see specials featuring older characters or have them appear in a current series if that was somehow more possible, but I don't think that any of them would really benefit from being in the main cast again. It would be such a waste to not bring in some eighth generation characters just to focus on Misty and Brock again.

At most I could maybe see them becoming temporary main characters for a mini arc if SM decides to end early before Gen 8 starts for some further LGPE/M22 promotion.

At most I could maybe see them becoming temporary main characters for a mini arc if SM decides to end early before Gen 8 starts for some further LGPE/M22 promotion.

I'm pretty sure Let's Go promotion is over, and the movie is likely the final push. The writers will probably be gearing up showing Gen 8 previews/characters/pokemon by the end of the year.

Hasn't one of the producers of the show said old companions'd never return as main characters long ago?

Hasn't one of the producers of the show said old companions'd never return as main characters long ago?

They said that specifically about Misty, I believe back in the DP era when Brock was still on the cast. But either way I imagine it's common sense now, once they finally got rid of Brock after DP and brought in new characters every series it became obvious they wouldn't go back to anyone.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom