• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you believe it is possibility Misty and Brock could become main characters again?

As much as that would make me happy, I can admit it's pretty much an unrealistic expectation.

Their return in SM had me ecstatic, but I know it was pretty much for 20th anniversary and Let's Go promotion. That seems to be all they use the characters for, which is an absolute shame. There are so many past characters who have gotten the shaft and who I would love to see again (coughTraceycough). It always makes me wish the anime was less of a promotional tool so we could get to see more of the past companions, rivals, etc.

Neither Gary nor Tracey being included in the Kanto promotion eps is a bummer, I guess the writers don't consider them iconic enough like Misty/Brock. Gary's absence is sad because he hasn't been seen in like 10 years since the Team Galactic finale back in DP which aired back in 2009. Come to think of it DP was pretty much the end of the road for a lot of characters, as it's also May's last appearance and several others like Butch/Cassidy, etc.

I love the original gang and hated losing Misty way back when, but to bring them back as permanent cast members now would be such a regressive move, both in a meta/production/financial sense and from the viewpoint of the characters.

Takeshi was a write-off the moment he set his sights on becoming a Poktor: you can't do that AND be Satoshi's full time mother figure. Unless you quit that goal, and become the guy who simply cannot stick to anything. Which is, admittedly, possible, but would be sad for his character.

I felt for many years that Kasumi had more potential for a companion role reprisal, but her appearances in SM where she is focused, happy and states more than once how important the Gym is to her rule that out for me. Her journey with Satoshi was an important catalyst for growth, but she can't come back any more than Takeshi - the only way is forward.

Omg, I feel so sad writing that out. It's like I'm killing some of my oldest and deepest-seated hopes forever... :cry:

I would just like to see them in specials again, focusing on their careers and families. Ash isn't the same anymore, so their dynamics feel stiff.

I think it's more likely that Ash will no longer be the protagonist, than for Misty and/or Brock to return as main characters.

Im not sure if producers and writing staff would go as far as bringing Misty and Brock back as main characters. As much as I would welcome such thing for various reasons ill state down below, time hasn't worked quite in favor of old main characters staying even relevant in some shape or form regularly for series like pokemon, let alone becoming major part of storyline again.

Granted no none saw Brock and even more so Misty returning even for appearance given how much time has passed, but it did happened. Though most likely only for 20th anniversary occasion and for Lets Go game promotion. Than again given how older characters are usually left forgotten and misty hasn't returned in anime until SM for over 11 years, writers could have continued to ignore her easily forever. But they didn't opening room for suspicion, why exactly right now?

However would from real life and storyline perspective be bad move to bring back Brock and Misty in pokemon anime?
Im gonna say NOT necessarily.
From marketing and financial standpoint while using new characters from fresh released games makes much more sense, we have to keep in mind how majority of audience for pokemon anime are young kids who are less critical and judgmental of anime and products related to it than teens and adults are. Writers if wanted could have use Misty and Brock in place of new characters, or go for 4 cast members route reuniting original trio and add new female from games in main cast. And sales or viewing percentage wouldn't be any smaller than if it was just standard formula of Ash and two new characters. To small kids Misty and Brock would successfully fulfill purpose of anime delivering to them something fresh and new for them enjoying in those two just as much as they would with completely new characters.
Likewise their return in original OS clothes in SM series and reintroduction to pokemon anime already did them big favor in helping younger audience to get grasp of how they know Ash and mutual history they share with him. Being more so easier for them to accept Misty and Brock presence in pokemon show and form some sort of attachment to such characters.

Also Misty and Brock return would help in theory attract older generations of pokemon fans who grew up with pokemon series to become more familiarized with pokemon series nowadays and get engaged into them. Were talking in here about millions of people who know Misty and Brock who once used to be kids growing up with it and while its unrealistic to expect that everyone would by such move start leaving their money to cash cow of pokemon company in buying new games, products and watching anime. Recognition to possibly two most iconic pokemon characters not named Ash would certainly drove good chunk of them back in anime. Based on interest i encountered online and in real life for everything related to first gen and original traveling companions of Ash in this show.

So from advertizing and financial standpoint Misty and Brock return with right motive and proper set up could work and be theoretically even beneficial for pokemon series popularity arguably.

As for story standpoint and would it make sense to bring back Brock and Misty?

Personally I like to look things at wider level taking in account both history and presence and personally i can say anyone return is possible and of benefit for character depending on how much person is willing to see characters they like or have some interest in them see grow, evolve and develop to more substantial level.
This is gonna be abit lengthy but everyone please take a minute or so to understand from where im coming from with this.

Brock for example, as traveling doctor its certainly not impossible and out of question to join Ash at some point if life takes him to unexplored region he has never been into, which would attract Ash naturally as well. With both sharing same interest in finding out about new pokemon species , meeting new people, exploring new places and gathering new knowledge in Brock case doctor and Ash trainer field. They are friends after all and sometime old friends path even when they go separate paths can unite again. It happens in real life too, life is unpredictable and such things do happen.

In Misty case, her being gym leader and interested in making name for Cerulean gym to be recognized in best possible way does not represent problem to such capacity that she couldn't go on journey to build herself as trainer and acquire new knowledge necessary to step up her game and go on higher level. We can see from Misty return that her relationship with Ash and Brock is still strong, her willingness to accept and recognize how much stronger Ash has became if anything opened ground for their friendship to actually move forward and go in new direction showing they can still, all three (original trio)fulfil each other and deliver great chemistry in pokemon anime.

What do we know?

Misty adores water pokemon and everything related to marine life. She loves adventures being free spirited herself and has big competitive fire in her. We also know that Misty wants to become strongest water trainer in world and we cannot know if her ambitions of becoming water pokemon master are still among her interests. We also can see with cases like Fantina, Candice, Wallacew, Koga etc etc how gym leaders can leave gym to either follow their other dreams or work on learning about new techniques, exploring new pokemon and entering tournaments to acquire precious skill. In either helping them come closer toward realization of their new ambitions or gather knowledge and techniques needed to evolve as gym leaders.

And can Misty acquire all of this by simply staying just at gym battling challengers without catching and learning about new pokemon, especially water ones. Without finding and battling vs strong trainers which she don't encounter at gym, or by not entering tournaments?

Well not really, because anyone who wanted to go higher in trainer ladder realized that gym can only move you so far and if Misty really want to move Cerulean gym to such high rank and position as she hopes for traveling and gaining experience from new regions, new kind of ways to power up your pokemon like she achieved with mega evolution and making name for herself. Traveling and going on adventures is not desired only but mandatory. Fact that she learned to mega evolve Gyarados proves how Misty likely went already on adventures outside gym for extended period of time.

So its not out of option that she goes to new one again , and if region Ash goes into contains valuable new water pokemon, tournaments where she could sharp her skills and ways to help her develop better strategies to minimize water pokemon weakness becoming more competent, its really not impossible or hard to envision her joining Ash for another adventure. Imposing question of its own, why not?

Imagine if in new region Ash goes into there exists water related theme competitions like Whirl Cup was helping water trainers to become renowned and highly respected worldwide. Imagine if Misty meets elite trainer specializing in water pokemon like Wallace or Lorelei were/are? Misty both in games and anime expressed interest in E4 members aiming to reach such level as trainer.
Wouldn't it make sense for her to become their apprentice giving her experience and methods she could never otherwise gain access to.

Based on Misty personality, desire to master use of water pokemon and her goals, Misty traveling to unknown region to get best possible education, and ways to promotre Cerulean gym through tournaments, learn from water experts herself does not go against Misty character or betrays what is making her happy and what she stands for. No, it would be honestly natural way of moving things forward serving as supplement, way for Misty as person and trainer to reach new level of understanding water specie, would and come closer toward reaching her ultimate dreams. Whether that be make Cerulean gym best gym in world, or become possibly E4 member herself one day and water pokemon master.

So Misty going on journey when you think about it more thoroughly makes LOT of sense. Majority of us i think can agree how many things about Misty character, her past, pokemon, dreams, etc were left unanswered. How Misty as character has untapped potential to grow and develop more never being used to full potential, and her reappearance in SM only reinforced what many of us were aware long before. For example sheer notion of her mastering mega evolution process opens lot of questions and reveals how little we actually know about her and how she can grow more having appeal, potential and storyline promising enough to warrant some more focus.

In end from story standpoint Brock and Misty joining Ash can make sense if reason behind their reunion is good enough. Based on how well they functioned in SM feeling like family and close group of friends would make their one last adventure together run much smoother sending out message of things coming full circle with those three friends. And if anything thanks to Brock and Misty having already long history with Ash and set up groundwork, allows writers to move their relationship forward being developed more. It helps them develop on more profound level due to not being blank slate having pointers and directions in how to make advantage of their past experiences in order top do something new, fresh and highly interesting of their lives.

With older characters with right ideas you can do wonders and such natural development, in lot of ways easier than its case with new characters due to having established lives and history on which new foundations can be built on. Feeling like its case with real life and each of us.

I don't know about others, but it would be refreshing to see already established group of friends receive follow up, sequel to their adventures for change rather than getting predictable set up of Ash and just new characters. If not for whole region, than well why not for one season than?

In let say Brock or Misty joining Ash on one part of his journey to new region until their purpose and reason behind coming to certain region hes into(this case Sword and Shield saga)comes to an end, being nice way of shaking things up doing something new.

p.s. Do i think it will happen? Well no(chances are highly small), but can it happen and would it make sense having material to make something worthy out of Misty and Brock prolonged comeback?
There exists potential, thats all what im going to say.

No. But would want Max and May back as Ash Rivals this time.

It's been ten years now. Where is DP nostalgia?

I wouldn't mind having Brock back. Sure everyone got bored with him but I always did enjoy having him as another constant besides Ash, Pikachu, and the TRio. Doing doctor stuff would give him more story potential than he used to have IMO.

I think the anime works better with Brock in it, then without him. If we look at his replacements (Cilan and Clemont and Bonnie) we do see interesting characters, however, their roles in the group dynamic didn't really make much sense. Cilan's goals and aspirations were so disimilar from Iris and Ash; and Clemont and Bonnie couldn't really teach ash anything. Brock, conversely, was always seen as the parental figure out of the group dynamics. Especially in Sinnoh this became more prevalent. He also served to help Ash improve as a trainer. Both in terms of battling and bonding with his Pokemon. I really think the show has become less, since he has gone, and I wouldn't pair him up with Misty given that he stayed more than 1 generation. I also saw Misty leaving as something that made sense. However, brock leaving felt like a mistake to me. A rushed one as well, considering Sun and Moon has showed us that Brock is far from achieving his goal of becoming a Pokemon doctor.

Brock's role as a mentor for Ash kinda died down by Johto to be honest outside a few episodes. At least now Ash has a different dynamic/friendship with the different male companions since like Cilan, Clemont, Kiawe. I like that Ash has different male companions because we see new dynamics between them and none were a copy of Brock's. His role in the anime overall in AG/DP was so little he was likely only kept around for battle exposition and the flirting gag, until the writers realized they can have any other character explain battles/cook/etc.

I also agree that I don't see why people view Misty/Brock as a pair, Brock was in the anime for 8 more years and 400 more episodes than Misty was. A lot of kids/younger fans would have grown up watching Hoenn, DP with Brock but no Misty, so a lot of people didn't grow up seeing them together.

Short answer: No

Long answer: I doubt it. They only came back due to the 20th anniversary of the show. That's about it

I think it's more likely that Ash will no longer be the protagonist, than for Misty and/or Brock to return as main characters.

Getting rid of Ash isn't really an option considering he seems very popular in Japan and the writers cater to their Japanese fans first. Even in the West he has a lot of fans and represents to many people the human face of Pokemon (almost like an anthropomorphic personification or something).

They said that specifically about Misty, I believe back in the DP era when Brock was still on the cast. But either way I imagine it's common sense now, once they finally got rid of Brock after DP and brought in new characters every series it became obvious they wouldn't go back to anyone.

I agree. Besides, like I mentioned in another topic, it's always nice to introduce new characters every once in awhile, as different characters always bring something different to the table.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom