• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you buy both versions in a pair?

Do you buy both versions?

• I only buy one.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • I buy both!

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • I buy one at launch, and another late.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • I get one version, while someone else I know (friend or family) gets the other one.

Votes: 26 32.1%

• Total voters
We get both versions a little after launch, after we have enough time to see what Pokemon is available where and stuff. D: Except for Gen IV, where we only had a Pearl to start out with due to financial issues. >A>

@Joshawott
If this is a result from our discussion, you should realize an internet forum with regular users, who one can assume is more of the "hard core" crowd of Pokemon is hardly representative.

Also don't get why "I buy both" and "I buy one" is split into two options each. While the some options are more exclusive, what's to stop a person from voting both "I buy both" and "I buy one at launch, and another later" option, as the latter is included in the former? We're not really seeing if people doubled up on saying the same thing, especially with the anonymity of the poll.

EDIT: Also, since the multi-vote option is allowed, why not be more accurate by having it

RS-Only One
RS-Both
FrLg-Only one
FrLg-Both
DP-Only one
DP-Both
HgSS-Only one
HgSs-Both
BW-Only one
BW-Both

Since the trend is that, the more different the two versions are, the more likely people will have bought both versions, and clearly, based on the comments, some people don't really seem to have a set order, and perhaps the option of "third version only" and "One of Version1/Version2 plus 3rd version" to more accurately portray the consumer habits of the forum-dwelling regular crowd (which, in itself can hardly be extrapolated to the more casual crowd)

Last edited:
I only bought both versions for DP. Otherwise I've stuck with only one or the third version.

@Joshawott
If this is a result from our discussion, you should realize an internet forum with regular users, who one can assume is more of the "hard core" crowd of Pokemon is hardly representative.

Also don't get why "I buy both" and "I buy one" is split into two options each. While the some options are more exclusive, what's to stop a person from voting both "I buy both" and "I buy one at launch, and another later" option, as the latter is included in the former? We're not really seeing if people doubled up on saying the same thing, especially with the anonymity of the poll.

EDIT: Also, since the multi-vote option is allowed, why not be more accurate by having it

RS-Only One
RS-Both
FrLg-Only one
FrLg-Both
DP-Only one
DP-Both
HgSS-Only one
HgSs-Both
BW-Only one
BW-Both

Since the trend is that, the more different the two versions are, the more likely people will have bought both versions, and clearly, based on the comments, some people don't really seem to have a set order, and perhaps the option of "third version only" and "One of Version1/Version2 plus 3rd version" to more accurately portray the consumer habits of the forum-dwelling regular crowd (which, in itself can hardly be extrapolated to the more casual crowd)
Nah, it just peaked my curiosity is all - I'm not using this thread to try and prove my point or yours, just because I'm curious about it now. I chose multiple choice because some people may get one version, while a friend gets another, then they buy the missing version later; which obviously overlaps with the four.

Anyways, rather than discussing my possible motivations for making this thread, can we discuss the actual topic of it?

Simple. Me and my friends decide on which version to get. Usually, only one person get the other version. Most of my friends got HeartGold and my other friend gets SoulSilver. We all get White, and he gets Black.

I've tried to get my cousin back into Pokemon since he hasn't played since LeafGreen. He's still interested, but doesn't own any own any other Pokemon games besides Ranger. About my sister... it was hard to share Diamond on one DS. :/

It's very rare that I know someone (aka my little brother) irl who has the matching pair to my game. It is also rare that I would get a game on launch as back in the 90s-early 00s I wouldn't even know a game was coming out, instead I'd be given one of the games for Christmas by a non-pokemon player.

So for me this is how it went:

Gen I - Knew only of these games through the bus driver commercial but I wasn't into pokemon yet.
Gen II - Gold, brother was given Silver. Never even knew Crystal existed until years later.
Gen III - had FireRed, then lost interest in pokemon so i skipped Ruby and Sapphire, but I later bought Emerald.
Gen IV - by the time i got back into pokemon Platinum had been out for a good year. Skipped D&P. Later got HeartGold for my birthday and brother got SoulSilver a few months later for his birthday.
Gen V - bought White on launch only because I was too excited to wait 3-4yrs for Gray to come out lol

So all in all I only get one version (if any) and to date, I've only got 2 games (HG/W) on launch day.

I get both, one as the main game to collect Pokemon and keep a decent file running, and the other to get version exclusives and then use as a free file to replay the main game over and over.

I usually start with one and end up with the other or all three in the end due to not wanting to restart a save file for various reasons. But then, this has only gone on for the last two generations (and Black and Heart Gold were very recent purchases, meaning it took until now to even finish gen 4). I owned Yellow, Silver, and Crystal. All of those were bought for me.

But I've learned I can buy used copies of games later at a decent price. It also helps with the things that require wireless and not wifi (such as the entralink and the needing to do a musical with someone to get one of the musical props, something needed to get a trainer card star). My best friend and I don't get to hang out in person much unfortunately and I don't know anyone closer that actually plays Pokemon any more so I can only do the normal things like trade and battle with other people. It's nice not to feel I need to baby my pass orbs any more. P:

I always get both ON (or in Heartgold & Soulsilver's case, the day BEFORE [I still don't know how the Gamestop where I live got permission from Nintendo to let people who preordered it have it the evening before, but they told me they were the only location allowed. Weird, huh?]) the day it comes out.

This is only because I pre-order them months before, and pay a few dollars on them each week until payed off.

There's no point buying two games when I only need one, so I buy just one game.

Only one. Having version exclusives forces you to trade with others, and that's about the least "real life social interaction" thing left in games that helps keep gamers from turning into sociopathic nerds.

Gen III onwards I've only really bought one from each version :/

My brother always got one version, and I got the other. Since he stopped playing after the 4th gen, I chose Black on my own because I wanted Reshiram. =P And since my dad knew I was way more into Pokemon, he always got me the special third versions.

I have only bought one of the versions for each game. The only exception was when I was planning to get Gold during Gen 2 with my dad ended up getting me Silver while I mentioned I wanted to get Gold. So, I actually ended up getting both of them that gen.

Otherwise, I find myself relying on someone else for the other version most of the time.

Only one, although I believe I will make a habit of buying third ones, as well. (That's what we did with D/P/Pt) I completely overlooked the concept of third ones! T.T I think I voted wrong...

Most of the time I get both, one for a playthrough to try all the Pokemon I want to use, and the second for Nuzlocking, but sometimes I'll buy one and my brother will buy the other.

I buy one game that I use for my first runthrough, and it is the game that I always keep and never delete.

But I buy the second version so that I can run through the game whenever I want to and just trade my pokemon to the other game. I usually just then start over

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom