• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you buy both versions

jskylinegtr34

Maxpein Belle Mariano and Fangirl Charlie Dizon
Reaction score
Do you buy just one or both versions, on 3DS, i bought first X, Alpha Sapphire, Moon and Ultra Moon, but i also bought Sun and Ultra Sun. As of now, i own both versions of all Gen 7 games, and just one of the pair of Gen 6 games.

I always have, but I’m very likely to cease that practice when it comes to the Switch games*. $120 is just a tad more than I’d prefer to spend on Pokémon, especially if DLC becomes a thing.

* Certainly so with LGPE if I even do buy one of them at some point - I’m not planning to buy either version at the moment, but hypothetically speaking, there would be absolutely no good reason for me to get both since it’s all just the same old Kanto Pokémon in the same old Kanto story.

Simply put, yes. The original reason was because I was often by myself, so I'd rarely have anyone to trade/battle with. So buying both main versions (and third/sequel versions), I could trade/battle with myself. It also helped me complete the whole "gotta catch 'em all" thing, as well as helping me horde items and such. And it gave me an excuse to try different ideas. Note that this was before I discovered these forums, which helped give me more options to work with. But, regardless, I buy both versions of all the main games. However, that will cease with the switch to the Switch, as I don't own a Switch, the price of both the Switch and its games are too high, and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is yet another excuse for more Kanto/Gen 1 butt-kissing, so that was the final straw. So up until the switch to the Switch, I've always bought both versions of every game.

I haven't ever bought more than one version at the same time, I kind of like trying to find trades or find those Pokemon in other games. Makes the process of completing the Dex more rewarding to me :)

Nah. I owned all versions for Generation I and II, but once Generation III came around I stopped. Ruby was more than enough for me. There was also the fact that my parents openly told me they hated Pokemon by this point and were not happy to buy me Ruby to begin with. Even still, years later, when I got a job and had money to spend, I only stuck to buying one version.

Yeah I get both versions of the games, mainly cause there are version exclusive Pokémon I really like in both games and usually one version is used for replaying after I beat it. Now since my brother is getting back into the games there is another reason for getting both, so we can play them together.

I only buy one, and it feels like the Legendary Pokémon year distributions are a reward for not getting both of USUM. Now I'm getting the likes of Giratina and Landorus without needing to trade with myself.

When I was a kid, I owned Silver and Gold (along with Yellow) because that's what my mom picked up from that fateful garage sale. She got them for like a quarter or something, y'know, garage sale kind of prices. Other than that, I've always seen owning both version as drinking the Kool-Aid, I guess. Owning one version encourages me to find a friend with the other version. Although I've never done that...

My brother and I got opposite versions until he couldn't even finish Sapphire. I also bought FireRed for him (well, my mom did) but he never touched it. Since then, I've only bought one version from each set, if any at all.

Up to Gen 3 I did because
a) Internet wasn't a thing back then and the GTS didn't exist
b) I had no one to trade with
Since the GTS creation I don't have the need to buy both to complete the dex because I can trade for the things I need also forums like this and even tumblr or facebook groups have helped me.

I have friends who also play Pokemon, but I tend to buy both versions anyway. One as my main game and the other for in case I wanna play through the game again-or just trade some Pokemon- with a different eam.

I never had that much money in the first place to justify buying two versions of a game that are essentially the same. If I ever cared to finish the dex, I would work with someone to finish it, which I feel it's much worth it and it does save me money.

Looking at my history, it seems more often than not I haven't, at least in recent generations. I have always bought one version at release, or sometime thereafter, but I while I usually do think about getting the other version eventually, I have generally only bought the other if it was on sale, or some other special occasion. I guess I often just decide that one version of the newest generation and a later installment of said generation series is enough for me.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom