• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Do you care about Natures?

Release or keep?

• Yes, I'd release it.

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Nah, I can work around it.

Votes: 57 67.1%

• Total voters

Oswin

Reaction score
Say you catch a Machop with the nature Timid. Or an Abra with the nature Adamant. Would you release it and continue searching for the same Pokemon with a better nature, or would you just accept it?

HexagonStephen

Offline for a while
Reaction score
Re: Capturing a Pokemon

I always just try to catch a Pokemon once. I hate wasting time and PokeBalls trying to catch a Pokemon with a "better" nature.

Alex800

Reaction score
Re: Capturing a Pokemon

If it was supposed to be for my team I'd try to find a better natured one. Something I wouldn't have done a few months ago...

Miju

Reaction score
If the nature doesn't effect my Pokemon's strong points then i'll keep it for the most part.
I prefer better natures but i'll take one with a decent or okay one.

woaska

Reaction score
Always when I play through the game, I don't care for the nature unless I have a planned team from the beginning, but then a friend trade it to me. I never catch a Pokémon with right nature, I find it easier to breed. Either RNG so you can get right gender, ability, nature and IVs or just use an everstone.

Faye Scarlet

total eclipse of the heart
Reaction score
There's also a nifty device called Action Replay...

For my in-game teams, I couldn't care less what nature they are. D: Even my 31-IV Special Attack Impish Gen the Lucario. It is THEIR personality, and stats doesn't matter at all.

If I'm making a "good" team, though, I just use AR and Platinum to get the nature I want. :< I feel bad when I release a Pokemon, plus I like to save a lot of time, so I just hack. And even in White to get Unova Pokemon, I has a Nature Mod if I really need it.

chimera

Reaction score
I don't really care what natures they have, so I keep them even if it's a Ponyta with a Brave nature or something. If the Pokemon does have a benefical nature, well, that's a plus, but it doesn't really matter to me.

TheTheDragon14

Chillin' with Charizard
Reaction score
As long as the nature doesn't hurt the stat I'm planning to EV train the Pokemon in, I'm fine.

Ranger Jack Walker

Not a Power Ranger
Reaction score
Bad Natured Pokemon = Worthless for me.

It may seem harsh but we are talking about a bunch of zeros and ones here.

As long as the nature doesn't negatively affect a Pokemon's best stat, I'll keep it and train it. Anything else has to go.

Betsy

overswagulate
Reaction score
Nah, I dont care about Natures. I could really care less.
I just need Pokemon that can help me beat the game.

Cyber Jet

Something for nothing
Reaction score
Release because I breed Pokemon to have the best nature for them and then EV train them.

/Zer0

What would happen?
Reaction score
Definitely. If I know that I'm going to EV-train that Pokemon I will literally save right before entering the patch of grass, catch it, check the nature in the previously empty slot in my party, and soft reset if it's going against my intended plan (Axew with Modest, no, but Axew with Impish/Jolly/Careful, yes).

If it's a neutral nature, I almost always keep it; to me they're like Generation II Pokemon, who had no natures. So kind of nostalgic in a way.

Sometimes, I'll just catch the Pokemon for the entry of it, and if it's not a good natured one, I'll breed it until a better one is born. Then I'll keep both of them.

So I'll answer "Nah, I can work around it." because I'm not really 'release-button-happy', I care for Pokemon even if they're bad natured and basically meant for breeding.

garrison-san

someone in the dark
Reaction score
I remember the very first time I played Sapphire. I saw the Natures and initially assumed that they were just an amusing little detail to add character to individual pokemon (as the characteristics are). I was a little bummed out when I learned that they could determine the entire course of a pokemon's development. It made raising a team just that bit more complicated.

Honestly, I try my hardest not to worry about them and just enjoy the game. It's something I could see myself getting way too anal about if I let me.

Reaction score
It depends.

If I catch a Pokemon which is supposed to have a high Attack stat in order to be as effective as possible but it has a Modest nature, I'l release it and keep looking.
But if it has say a Hasty nature (+ Speed/-Defense) or a Serious nature I'l just settle for that and continue as I feel it doesn't really make that big a difference for me.

Turquoise

Reaction score
Natures are extremely important in competitive play, They really do make the difference so I will try to get the one I want.

J J M

never ever giving up
Reaction score
Well, I caught a Adamant Munna. Its best stat is reduced and its worst stat is boosted...

After hours of trying again, I got a Naive one. Good enough, I guess.

Zenax

Keep moving forward
Reaction score
Depends. If I catch a Pokémon for the sole purpose of having its Pokédex entry, no. If I want to train one, I'll make sure it has good IVs, a good nature and good egg moves, if any. Then I EV-train it.

Hydro Blastoise

Wibbly-Wobbly Blastywasty
Reaction score
As long as it's not an inherently horrible nature for it, I'd be fine with it. I don't care, especially when still in the in-game story or catching for the Pokédex. If it's a neutral nature, I'm happy just for that.

Even if it's a horrible nature, if it's rare or still in the story, I'll keep it anyway.

Dark Tranquillity

Christian Brutal Sniper!
Reaction score
Nope! They mean nothing to me.
Like EVs/IVs/Genders.
They can be whatever they want to be.
As long as I like the Pokemon itself, I'm happy with it.