• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you care about Natures?

Release or keep?

• Yes, I'd release it.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Nah, I can work around it.

Votes: 62 68.9%

• Total voters
Natures are an important factor in the competitive Pokes I raise. In-game? Not that much.

That's pretty much my philosophy too. For in-game teams, I'll just use whatever I catch first. My methods for preparing competitive teams are sufficiently different from that, that the "guilt" of releasing Pokemon doesn't really enter into it, because catching a particular Pokemon is just an extension of examining that specimen more closely for desirable traits--because of breeding, I know that a Pokemon I catch will rarely-if-ever become the actual Pokemon that goes onto my team.

I don't really hunt for perfect Natures for in-game playthroughs, but I try to avoid Natures that are obviously hindering the Pokemon, such as Modest Gyarados or Impish Empoleon.

Yes. Ever since I figures out what natures do for a Pokémon's stats, this has been my go-to reaction. Admittedly I did tone it down a tad with Shield but only because I knew farming mints in the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra would allow me to actively correct such imperfections eventually.

Even then though, my initial BD team was once again obsessively nature-farmed because now mints were purely postgame and this Pokémon League is not to be approached frivolously. If they're gonna come packing optimised natures and EV spreads then I must take those same preparations; this is outright non-negotiable in that case. I'm not throwing "good enough" natures and "haphazard" EV spreads up against BDSP's Cynthia and her Elite Four.

Absolutely, ever since I found out what natures do (and their benefits,) I've sought out Pokemon with good natures to an almost obsessive degree (and this is in-game too, mind you.) I just......can't use a Pokemon with a bad nature anymore, it would bug me immensely if I did. It might even be a slight OCD thing that I have to search for Pokemon with a good nature. Hell, over the last week I nigh-obssesively sought out Poliwag with a good nature/IVs (yep, I do that too now,makes me extra crazy :LOL:,) at Brooklet Hill in Pokemon Sun, which I'm currently replaying.

In BDSP I had to look at Natures for the first time because my Chimchar's damage output was not enough to even grind. I almost resetted for a better one, but a Quick Claw made the situation easier to handle.

In BDSP I had to look at Natures for the first time because my Chimchar's damage output was not enough to even grind. I almost resetted for a better one, but a Quick Claw made the situation easier to handle.
I'm the type of person who would reset the game over and over to get a good nature, especially for the starter. The starter's probably the most important Pokemon to me in that regard.

I have a Brave natured Vivillon in Pokémon Y Can't really get worse than that lol. And, yes, I still have it and use it in casual battles too, and no, I didn't even attempt to catch another Vivillon with a better nature........ I guess we have an answer XD

Honestly, my favorite part of team-building is adapting my Pokémon to whatever natures I obtain them with. For example, my Blastoise in Pokémon Y came with an Adamant nature, so I adapted it to be a physically attacking Mega Blastoise. Is it the best? NO. But it's decent and fun to use in casual battles.

Now, the introduction of Mints have brought a whole new ball game to my playstyle. In Pokémon Sword, I did use them to fix the natures of my Pokémon was not dealing with Brave Eternatus when I had the option to fix it lol. Seriously the games love giving me Brave natured Pokémon lmao. And I believe that mints will continue to exist in one form or another, so I will keep using them to fix the natures of my Pokémon in the future games too.

Nope. Never once cared about what natures my Pokemon have, at most I just find them to be cute little info for a specific 'mon. Actually, for the longest time I didn't know they affected stats. Of course, I don't play competitive so I wouldn't have known right away, this series is the only one where I don't bother with stats at all compared to other games I've played (specifically in RPG's).

Not at all. First reason is that while the system is admitedly not that complex, it's still a chore to learn 20 similar-sounding words and their specific effects. I know the game hints at their effects in the summary screen, but honestly I can't remember whether the red color means up or down lol it's not as intuitive as they say it is (red usually means positivity, as shown with Plusle, but it also means danger and bad things...)

Second is that, in my opinion, catching a team member should feel like an emotional experience (even if they are just data) and catching many of them only to choose the strongest would undermine the experience, and be...somewhat unfair to the ones who didn't got chosen.

I've used Nature mints though, twice or thrice in SWSH so some Pokemon would have better performance at the Battle Tower, and I have many saved in PLA in case some Pokemon have trouble with the Solitude challenges.

Not in the slightest. I don't even check most of my Pokemon's natures to be honest, I just go with whatever nature I get. I'd consider using nature mints like a few others if I felt a Pokemon really needed it, but I'd never go hunting for a specific nature. It just sounds way too tedious.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom