• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you cheat in Pokémon to your game?

Emolga_Static

Reaction score
I recently found a terrible addiction.

Cheating Pokémon into my game. Yes, that means that I have tons of unavailable Pokémon. Even my shiny Meloetta, Mequ, was just another 'mon that I cheated in on my PokeCreator spree yesterday. And my shiny Drifloon... along with my shiny Mewtwo, Keldeo, shiny Pikachu, shiny Purugly, and regular Mew. ( I got it regular because I like it that way. )
Actually, my only legit shiny is my Zorua, Zen. I stumbled across her while attempting to breed for a male. Nice surprise, eh?

So, how do you guys feel about cheating in Pokémon? Do you approve, or do you think it's wrong? And before you start to yell at me, I do not and will never use any Pokémon I cheat in for battles with people outside my game. xD

I hacked in a pokemon once, guilt ridden I released it shortly after.
I like to obtain everything legit for the challenge or it isn't fun at all. I don't mind people hacking in pokemon for single player and such, I just have a problem when they intend to cheat someone into giving away a legit one for a hacked pokemon.

No I do not. It's called cheating for a reason...

I fear my own power, sometimes. I once played through a pokemon game on an emulator, and save states allowed me to ensure that supersonic hits every single time and the opposing pokemon will hurt themselves in confusion (these events aren't that unlikely, and it's really quick to just repeat the turn over and over to get the desired outcome). So I had an Exploud as my most powerful pokemon because he had Supersonic, and he was a god.

It's also a really tough habit to break once you realize that you never have to grind up levels again or ever experience anything unfavorable.

I myself do not, even though there are times I have been sorely tempted. (Waiting on a trade from the GTS can be a royal pain in the skidplate.) However, I have received things in trade that are illegal and even though I know it, they stay with me. I've lost count of how many shiny Golurk that I've received in Cherish Balls.

I still keep 'em though.

I do, but only once I've beat everyone and done everything, and there's nothing to do but wait at the GTS. Then I spice the game up.

Well, I think everyone should do what they want with their own game.

Particularly, I've recently learned how to cheat (for backup purposes), but choose not to do it. I think the main reason why someone would want to hack is getting Pokémon with perfect IVs to use in online battles, since the main story is already easy. Even so, I see no fun, since the game has a lot of interesting features to make you enjoy your experience while you try to obtain what you want. Other than that, I see no point in having a lot of rare pokémon or illegal moves, since it was not the intended experience for the game. For me, the fun of pokémon are the existence of different creatures with different characteristics and the hardness to obtain something. Since much money and love were paid for my games, I just don't want to remove the fun of them, lol.

I do not cheat, because I think its well- getting the easy way out and I want to enjoy every minute of the game

I used to use gamesharks to get mew and some pokemon I couldn't get back in the gen 1 and 2 days, but haven't since then.

I used to cheat, not for shinies or anything, but to skip the whole IV-breeding, EV-training step, and instantly have Pokemon ready for battle competitions. "Who wants to spend all their time doing that? There are tons of other video games to play, too", I thought. I didn't really battle that much with them, but whenever I did I felt a little guilty. What if my opponent had actually spent hundreds of hours putting that team together, while I just hacked them in? If I wanted to battle without the hassle of training, I should have just used something like Pokemon Showdown.

So after Black 2/White 2 came out, I decided that was a good chance to go clean. Coincidentally, at the same time I was looking to change the name of my online identity to "Leocul", which generally requires creating an entirely new account on most websites (looking at you Nintendo) so the timing was perfect. I erased the save files on all of my Pokemon games and started over on all of them, playing completely legit. It's been a lot more rewarding, and I really prefer focusing on one set of games as opposed to trying to be get good at Pokemon and 20 other games. Occasionally I still do play other games, but most of the time, Pokemon!

The most annoying thing of the whole process was loosing my Dream World points and having to go through the tutorials on that again, since it's so time consuming to get enough points to unlock more areas/Pokemon...still haven't gotten far on that front... But otherwise I'm very happy with going full-legit.

Last edited:
I used my friend's action replay back in Gen III. After a while, I didn't like how I felt about it so I swore never to use a cheating device again.

I use in-game glitches only. Usually to get Pokemon, because you need the glitches to get the Pokemon, so I'm not sure it's called cheating. Trainer-Fly Glitch (RGBY) and Surf Glitch (DP) are the once I've used. I've used cloning glitches too, and I would consider those cheating. I used them for infinite use of TMs and sharing my Pokemon.

I used to a lot with the Gameshark and emulators, mainly to make a certain Pokemon appear, get lots of rare candies and Full restores.... after a while, about 6 months or so, it go very boring (such easy wins) that I got out of emulators, and instead bought the real games on DS. For me, no more cheating since.

Last edited:
i don't have a cheating device and i don't see the point in shelling out a couple dollars to get an action replay when i don't have my games with me now that i'm in college so no

if i want to play competitively, i'll play on po or ps! anyway. i like playing the cartridges without cheating, though i don't think it makes me intrinsically 'better' or whatever than anyone else lol

I don't like to cheat, it feels distasteful to me. I like to play fair, even if I get my can kicked into orbit as a result. The one time I tried something like that was the infinite item glitch in Gen I. I sorely regretted it. Destroyed the game completely (figuratively and literally), so I never tapped into something like that again (don't ask how that glitch wrecked my game, all I know is it did, and rendered my Blue version completely useless).

So, no, I don't cheat. I'd rather earn what I've gained in a game, not taken any shortcuts or the easy way. I will willingly spend many hours in any given game (RPGs in particular) searching for all I can at the time, discovering all the secrets I can find, and yet play with fairness. Even in a simple card game I won't pull a fast one to get an edge. I may like to win, but I like it when I win the right way. So cheating is out of the question for me.

I added five or six Pokémon to my Black 2 Version thanks to PokéBuilder (which btw, is FEATURED on the Apple App Store lol) Loved that I was able to make my own 'mons but I didn't get addicted to it by any means. Especially when I found out they can corrupt your save files. I did cheat Ash's original team (Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard) into my game all at level 5 and with perfect stats and stuff. But that's it lol If I decided to do it for X and Y, I'd only do it to finish my Pokédex, but I doubt I will tbh.

Last edited:
I once owned a Gameshark, and cheated at Pokemon Ruby. I did things like walking through walls, every Pokemon was MewTwo, infinite Masterballs, that sort of thing. It was fun while it lasted, but eventually got boring, so I don't engage in that sort of thing these days.

Walking across the ocean, to the Elite 4, then triggering the hall of fame without a starter Pokemon was amusing.

I used to own an Action Replay, but it stopped working a few months after I bought it (I was very careful with it, but it wasn't very stable). Maybe that's for the better, because I hacked my whole second Diamond playthough team. Thanks to that, I still own a hacked Shiny Dragonite and Shiny Gyarados and an Alakazam, Sceptile and Electivire with illegal moves. I sent these 5 over to Black 2.

I also hacked a Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus. They can't be put on the GTS and probably can't be sent to XY, though the Arceus got me a legit lvl. 1 Giratina in HeartGold.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom