• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you consider Haunter and Larvitar captured by Ash?

Sabrina and Ash both said that Ash captured Haunter. Charizard was just an example of how a pokemon can be disobedient but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong to that trainer.

Also, even though Togepi wanted to go with Misty technically that's not a capture since she never had a pokeball for it. She would put it in her bag sometimes. I don't remember exactly how many pokemon Misty had in Johto but if she had over 6 then if Togepi was hers them she'd have to send one back, same with Ash and Larvitar.

Ash did actually capture and have control over Charizard beforehand (as a Charmander). Even when it was disobedient, Ash still retained the power to recall it to its pokeball - thus, even while untamed, Ash still had technical ownership of it.

Haunter, on the other hand, followed Ash purely out of his own will (seemingly for his own amusement), and was free to come and go whenever he pleased. I'm not even sure if Sabrina had any kind of formal ownership over him at the very end, when he stays with her, or he's just sticking around because he sees her as yet another source of personal entertainment.

i don't consider them Captures, but using Misty's Togepi as a reference, i considered them to be Unnoficially Ash's, but that's just me

this is my oppinion, NOT an invitation for someone to quote me saying i should change my oppinion...

Here is another thing to debate, though: Do you consider Ash as having really owned a Beedrill/Seaking. They were both caught in a competition, and Ash gave Casey the Beedrill he caught right after he won. Ash just released the Seaking he caught in the later competition since he didn't win that one. I don't consider him having owned either, but many still count these amongst Ash's pokemon and I ask why? I will go along with Raticate since that was a trade, and he only had that for part of one episode, but really? You're going to count a few flipping seconds or minutes and he doesn't even end up keeping the pokemon? I don't think so.

Technically, I think Beedrill and Raticate belonged to Ash since he had control over both their Pokéballs. Neither of them did squat, however. Like Gliscor'd said, the Seaking were to be released after the competition anyways, so no.

I count Haunter. Just because he didn't have a pokeball for it doesn't mean it wasn't his. Misty never had a pokeball for Togepi but it was still considered her pokemon. You could say the same for Iris and Axew as well. I don't count Larvitar though because if it was his them one of his pokemon would of had to of been sent back.

Good point. Misty never putting Togepi in a Pokéball is an interesting piece of trivia. I'm pretty sure the majority of fans considered it hers, however.

I don't view Haunter as one of Ash's former Pokémon. Like others have said, it accomplished very little and wasn't even in a Pokéball. I'm more willing to think of Larvitar as his because like Togepi, it bonded with Ash and developed. It may not have stayed with him as long as Togepi stayed with Misty, but Larvitar accomplished much of what Togepi did, as well.

I always counted them :/ At least Haunter though I would love to see Larvitar come back someday...T.T I don't think it ever will though :-(

I counted both Haunter and Larvitar as Ash's pokemon. They were involved with continuing the plot in the anime. Ash even used Haunter and Larvitar in a pokemon battle even it was short and interrupted. Larvitar even had more scene times than Ash's minor pokemon (Kingler, Muk, Tauros, and etc). Ash don't even used them anymore, they're just cameos. They don't need to be captured in a pokemon ball to make a difference for me. Many characters of day had pokemons without having pokemon ball. Even Ash's mom, Dalia has a Mr. Mine and I never seen her used pokemon ball to captured it and summon it. Everybody accepted Mr. Mime as her pokemon.

Its not a real capture though, so its not a release.

Ash never owned them. He just befriended them.

One thing I noticed is that in one of the AG openings (I think it's the last one) they show all of Ash's pokemon but they don't show Haunter, implying that Haunter wasn't one of Ash's pokemon. They showed Larvitar running with the group and Tyranitar though but Larvitar couldn't have been one of Ash's pokemon because he would of had 7 and would fo had to send one back to Oak.

That opening was Spurt, the last AG opening in Japan. Maybe the forgot about Haunter since it was only around for 2 episodes. They didn't put Beedrill in that opening either even though Ash was the one to catch it.

They didn't put Haunter/Beedrill for the same reason they didn't include the Raticate Ash owned for 3 minutes in the St. Anne episode, they barely count as true Ash Pokemon.

Larvitar was recognized with its mother, but not with Ash's Pokemon.

I agree about Larvitar but it was shown running with Ash and his friends. Lapras was shown by itself riding on top of a wave with Ash + co but it wasn't in the big shot with all of Ash's pokemon even though it was his for a while since we saw him catch it. Even Butterfree and Pidgeot were in that shot with Ash's pokemon and they were released as well.

In regards to Larvitar, Ash actually hatched it and given the precedent with Togepi I'm saying yes.

Haunter, on the other hand, is a no from me. I mean he didn't catch it or hatch it. Instead it just kind of followed him around for a few minutes then ran off with Sabrina, though I'd've loved for Ash to have owned a Ghost pokemon, though I don't think he ever will, sadly.

Larvitar can't be Ash's Pokemon because he already had 6 Pokemon on his team at the time.

When Misty had Togepi, she never had more than 6 Pokemon. Togepi was one of her 6 slots, regardless if it ever had a Pokeball.

Larvitar can't be Ash's Pokemon because he already had 6 Pokemon on his team at the time.

When Misty had Togepi, she never had more than 6 Pokemon. Togepi was one of her 6 slots, regardless if it ever had a Pokeball.

I don't think the six pokemon limit counts though if they're not in a pokeball.

I don't think the six pokemon limit counts though if they're not in a pokeball.

Well the writers could have had Misty go over the 6 Pokemon limit then, but they didn't. Togepi clearly counted.

She had a team of 6 in Johto, with Togepi was one of those 6.

No, neither was captured by Ash.

As for Primeape, like with Charizard, Squirtle, and Pidgeot, I consider it to be in training. One day I really do believe that we'll see Primeape and Pidgeot again.

As for Primeape, like with Charizard, Squirtle, and Pidgeot, I consider it to be in training. One day I really do believe that we'll see Primeape and Pidgeot again.

If Primeape/Pidgeot haven't returned in over 13 years, what makes you think they ever will?

If the writers ever wanted them back, they would have returned alongside Charizard and Squirtle in both the Johto league and again in Battle Frontier. They didn't.

If Primeape/Pidgeot haven't returned in over 13 years, what makes you think they ever will?

If the writers ever wanted them back, they would have returned alongside Charizard and Squirtle in both the Johto league and again in Battle Frontier. They didn't.

Its what I believe, just like I believe we'll see Misty, Gary, and the rest again. You don't have to agree with it, but I believe it.

Its what I believe, just like I believe we'll see Misty, Gary, and the rest again. You don't have to agree with it, but I believe it.

So you're one of those people who believe anything from the original series is always going to be there, despite the fact that those characters and Pokemon are no more important than any of the later characters.

Granted Gary and the like obviously have better chances of re-appearing than Primeape/Pidgeot, but its not like we're going to see much of him anyway. Gary was only in 3 DP episodes, out of a 191 episode arc.

So you're one of those people who believe anything from the original series is always going to be there, despite the fact that those characters and Pokemon are no more important than any of the later characters.

Granted Gary and the like obviously have better chances of re-appearing than Primeape/Pidgeot, but its not like we're going to see much of him anyway. Gary was only in 3 DP episodes, out of a 191 episode arc.

Why do you have to try to make something out of nothing? If believe that anything from EVERY series is always going to be part of the series established canon. Whats up with you needing to talk about character importance? As far as the story goes Ash and Pikachu are the most important characters, after that it depends on who each person happens to like more.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom