• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you enjoy the franchise a lot more now that you're older?

idk....I've been playing pokemon since I was about 10 (gen 1) and I'm 29 now.......I've been getting a little disappointed with what GF introduced in 6th gen, like Poke Bank (man, I miss the old school Poketransfer that didn't require an internet connection -_- ), not being able to access the safari without friend codes.......I just wanted to play the video game and not have to have the internet constantly waying it down inorder to access everything :/

I was very disappointed with XY and the lack of post game (worst post game ever out of ALL the gens). I also have the frear that GF is officially running out of ideas for new pokmemon, especially due to the lack of new ones in this gen........I hope this will change soon...*Finger's Crossed* xD
XY post game was the Looker side quest, Battle Maison, Friend Safari, Mewtwo, a Legendary Bird and Zygarde, it was far better than Gen 1, Gen 2, Ruby and Sapphire and Black and White post game. And worst post game? Are you kidding me? Gen 1 had no post game at all, Gen 2 was crap Kanto that was a barren wasteland with barely anything to do, Ruby and Sapphire had only the Battle Tower and Latios/Latias and BW was the Battle Subway, crap Eastern Unova and Kyurem, so no XY post game is not the worst post game of all gens so don't bullshit me. And GF is not running out of ideas for new pokemon, there are still countless types of animals, plants and bugs to make pokemon out of it, they just did less this gen because alot of people complained about the large aumont introduced in Gen 5.

Yes i enjoy the franchise much more now that i'm older. I like how the battling got more complex in each generation, now there's a ton of combination of pokemon, movesets and such unlike in the first gens.

um.....I'll just plainly put it this way:

1) The Looker Quest: lol, what a joke!....finished the entire thing in under 30min...

2) The 3 Post Game Legends: tbh, never been a huge "Legends Fan" beyond collecting it's dex data...and hunting down "The Wandering Bird"- yeah, already met up with it enough times, in 4 days total, for it to go into it's carvern and I wasn't even after it :/

3) The Friend Safari: I'm sorry but it's pretty pathetic when GF designs an exclusive location to catch certain pokemon...and you are not allowed to access it without a friend code.....I never actually needed to use the internet to play an effing Pokemon game before 6th Gen......complete bullshit ><

With That Said.....What The Hell Post Game Does X/Y Have??????.......Seriously... <_<

On A Side Note: What are you talking about?!?!?......Black/White Has A Massive Post game! xD.......Are you sure you were playing the right one?
Massive? Ahahaha, don't make me laugh, BW post game was pathetic, let's see:
Eastern Unova - it has like 10 trainers in it that you can defeat in ten minutes and then there's nothing to do.
Battle Subway - This is easily the worst Battle Tower ever.
Catching the Sages with Looker - if you say Looker XY side quest is a joke (which is bullshit) this is the real joke, this is just pathetic and boring.
Legends - Kyurem and Kami Trio (and that is if you can trade to get the other Kami Trio, if not just a Kami Trio member).
And this it, the BW was not massive, it was an utter joke. XY has the Battle Maison which is by far the best Battle Tower, Battle Chateau to reach the title of Gran Duke, Friend Safari to catch pokemon with HA and shinies easier, three legendaries, a far better Looker sidequest than the BW one and this is 2014, everybody has internet, if you don't have it it's your problem, don't blame the game if you don't have something as common as internet.

Ok this is getting off-topic and not gonna waste time here since you are forgetting that other gens had far worst post games than XY.

Yeah this off-topic argument stops right now

both of you need to dial back the attitude, there is no need for rudeness

I enjoy the franchise a lot more now that I can effectively play my games with knowledge of the numerous features, item placements, locations and whatnot. 8-9 year old me probably didn't know where the Griseous Orb was in Platinum without having to simultaneously play their Platinum along with Marriland's playthrough of it, while I can now direct someone to it with ease. The anime however, is a different story. As I was younger, I couldn't point out the faults of the anime, while my mind at its age right now can probably tell you why the anime's not as good as it was. The younger you were, the more oblivious you are. That obliviousness dissipates as you grow older, meaning you can observe closer.

I'd have to say so. This is my favorite franchise of all time. :D When I first played these games, I just thought they were something to pass the time and talk to my friends about. I also enjoyed watching the anime. It really didn't go anything beyond that.

Now, I know a lot more about the game mechanics, I love to collect the toys, the spin-off games are a load of fun, and I still watch the anime. It's really funny, because I am not a person who really enjoys RPGs! There's something about this series that is different from the rest. I'd wager it's probably the socialization aspect of everything. Along with what the games have brought, I have also met the most wonderful people through Pokemon communities who I consider my best friends. As corny as it sounds, I would not have met those great people were it not for Pokemon.

I have my memories as a kid playing Red and that was great! I will continue to look forward to future games along with my friends.

Not as much, no. In fact I enjoy the franchise as a whole less than I used to. I liked the anime when I was a kid, but the more I watched it, the more I realized the show never went anywhere and began to hate it. As for the games, I liked them a lot up until 5th gen when they started dumbing it down and removing more gameplay features than usual. I still like the games for now, but I think I'm gradually losing interest and I may end up abandoning the series as a whole if things don't improve.

I've been on and off recently, especially when the TV show pretty much ruined my previous prediction of a Final Four appearance from Sinnoh to Kalos.

As for the games, I'll take a dive again, especially when Alpha Sapphire might drag me back there and give me an incentive to own a 3DS.

Unfortunately no. I used to be obsessed with the show, the games, and anything else related I could get my hands on. I would be constantly drawing them having "Pokemon battles" with my brother, and just thinking about it. Lately I have plenty of other interests and my Poke-addiction waned to just a healthy interest. Now I generally go through a cycle of playing through the most recent game, and then returning to an old favorite and finishing that one just in time for the next game to come out. And I still vaguely keep up with what's going on in the anime, but I rarely actually watch it.

Probably not. Like others have said the older I get the more the whole 1 dimensional villain wants to destroy the world thing gets old. I think I enjoyed more when I was younger because I focused solely on training my team (and by team I mean my starter) and paid no attention to the story. One of the things that keeps me playing now is the hope they release a game geared toward an older audience.

There was times when I enjoy simulations games from certain franchise that allow me to get married more than before..

But... now I just go hype to many games I never really played... and play puzzle games like Layton a lot..

Am I getting old?

I've enjoyed the games thoroughly throughout my life; never has my enjoyment shifted, and never shall it falter. Throughout the years, though, what exactly I have loved has shifted. I have gotten into more competitive aspects, and some of the more casual aspects (Such as challenging the Elite Four ten times a day) no longer seem as amusing to me anymore. As my body grows, so does my drive for competition. Thank you, Pokemon, for giving me the opportunity to play your games throughout my life.

I suppose I do.

When I was younger, about 12 years ago now, the games were fun and entertaining, but I was never really committed to understanding the more advanced intricacies of battling. Then came the great hiatus for years and years when I never really gave another thought to Pokemon. Now I'm back into it, this time with a whole lot more appreciation for the more intricate aspects, for advanced battling and the like.

I enjoy the games a lot more, the cartoon a lot less.

I originally fell in love with the cartoon and then found out about the games, it felt so cool that I could be Ash and go on my own Pokemon journey, and pick one of the 3 starters and I could make choices in the game etc. When I realised it wasn't exactly like the cartoon I was disappointed, but still enjoyed them and carried on playing, but my main focus was the anime.

Then in AG, when Misty left and May and Max took over the anime bombed in my opinion, it was painful to watch and so the games became my main focus.
With the release of FRLG, I was back to the good old days, the nostalgia hit me, and I was about 11 now so mature enough to actually form a decent team rather than just whatever ones I caught first, and actually spread out moves rather than just the most popular four I could find.

This enhanced understanding of the game made it a lot more enjoyable and kept me in the franchise, I kept trying to dip back into the AG series but May and Max and the voice over changes were a major turn off.

Then about halfway through DP series I started watching, and actually quite enjoyed it, so went back to the start of DP and watched them all in bulk until I'd caught up with the American releases. I still watch the anime to this day, although I do miss a few fillers but I still much prefer the games.

I meddled with the TCG a bit back in the time of the Original Series, before Gold and Silver, but it never really took off, have never paid any attention to the Manga.

I would say the most fun I had in the series was my first experiences with the Generation I and II games. Everything was so new to me. There wasn't an internet that I could go to and visit community sites like this. I found out almost all of the things by myself and that was the most satisfying and most precious moment I had with this game. I wouldn't say, I'm slowly losing interest or not experiencing great fun as the franchise progressed. It's just that since generation II, I never felt that same excitement and thrill that I had when I was younger.

I appreciate this series now that I am older.

The main reason is that it is still going on, which means there is something that makes people want to come back for more. I don't recall there being a lot of game series lasting this long, especially one that is still productive in terms of games.

There are other things to appreciate as well. It didn't occur to me that competitive Pokemon battles were a thing. When I was younger, I thought that battles with other people would be pointless because items cannot be used, so people would use the strongest Pokemon and win. Then, I saw some Youtube videos when people play Pokemon Battle Revolution to do some cool battles, where one place mentioned Smogon (Overhazard). I did see some Diamond and Pearl battles mainly from Marriland, but those do not seem as exciting because of the incompatible mixture of Diamond and Pearl's battle speed and Blissey's HP. I would look at Smogon for years before finally stopping when I realise there is nothing for me.

Another thing is the On the Origin of Species, which showcases that Pokemon do have inspiring origins, such as Bronzor and Bronzong's mirror and bell tale (my first post here was in that thread that linked to the news). I used to think it's just imaginary creatures that are just designed for the sake of it. This is especially enlightening to know since in some areas I saw that Pokemon "ran out of ideas" for their designs. Nowadays you don't see people saying Pokemon "ran out of ideas", so I guess that phase is over.

I was surprised to also see that the anime ran this long. Over fifteen years of anime airing is pretty impressive if you ask me, since not many anime lasted this long. It's also surprising to see Pokemon mentioned in the Culture Shock book on Japan, so that means its popularity extends beyond the realms of video games.

Thanks for reading.

Not as a total fanboy like I once was a few years ago, but I like playing the main games more than the side series.

Sadly no, I'm really close to giving up on the franchise altogether. I don't have the time to enjoy it as I do, and even then I just don't find it enjoyable. I don't like the direction it's headed and the fandom has also somewhat ruined it for me.

I enjoy gens 1 and 2 along with the 4kids dub of the show more than I did when I was a kid however I don't like gens 3-4 as much as I used to nor do I enjoy the cards as much.

I like it more now because I have figured out what works best for my relationship with the franchise: Stand back a few steps, don't buy every game. Then use map and pokemon data from Bulbagarden to write my fanfiction and be amused later at how it's completely different from the games.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom