• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you EV or IV?

Somari

Reaction score
I find it cruel to the Pokemon, so I don't.
I just choose a Pokemon I like, a specific Pokemon of a specific species. That's a bit cruel too, but..

Do you?

I've dabbled before in IV, although I'm not too good at it. (Or rather, it just takes too long for me to really get perfect IVs.) And I always EV - it doesn't make sense not to if I want my Pokemon to do the best they can in battle against other people's Pokemon.

We've spoken before, so you've seen my views and I understand yours. n.n

But let me try again to explain why EV breeding wouldn't really be cruel, even to people who enjoy RPing their Pokemon team.

Say you're a coach. After all, what's a Pokemon trainer if not a coach for their team of Pokemon? If you're training a team as a coach, you want them to be the best they can be, right?
And what better way to do that is there to do some repetitive exercises that train what you think they would benefit from improving in?

Or, you could also look at it as your Pokemon studying the Pokemon they fight against. For example, if a Pokemon fights a ton of Pokemon that utilize their physical attacks exceptionally well... Well, wouldn't they, over time, pick up the ability to use their physical attacks a little better, just from seeing their opponents do it?

That's how I look at it, at least... Hope that helps you. n.n

- Tyros

I find it cruel to the Pokemon, so I don't.
I just choose a Pokemon I like, a specific Pokemon of a specific species. That's a bit cruel too, but..
Do you?
Wut.
Of course i EV pokemon.
Its a game. theyre not real. its not cruel to them, they dont exist, nor will they ever.

Wut.
Of course i EV pokemon.
Its a game. theyre not real. its not cruel to them, they dont exist, nor will they ever.

Well, some people do feel a bit more, I guess, attached to ones you use more often although they aren't real.

I don't know much about IV, I do EV, but I'm not EXACT the the 252 and such.

like I said before, I don't do either because I can't stand competitive battling.

I don't like IV breeding because of the same reason as you, even though I tried it at one point and still have a box of Feebas and a box of Roselias.

but EV training? I'm fine with that, I'm just far too lazy to do it myself. the closest I've gotten was leveling a Leafeon from 21 to 35 or so on pure Geodudes. no wonder he can stand so many hits now. sheesh.

Umm I EV train. Also how is this cruel to the Pokemon? Their digital little sprites on your DS/computer screen o_o

Being a casual-competitive battler of sorts (I do 2-on-2 almost exclusively) and a breeder for the sake of being one, I do both EV training and IV breeding. It's not that hard if you know some things like PRNG abuse (which I don't like to use for custom IV spreads, mainly because I still suck at it) and the use of the Poké Radar. Having an Emerald cart also helps if you don't mind using the cloning 'glitch' to duplicate items and such.

I IV and EV and train them till they cant train any further. I keep them on the brink of passing out and crack the whip should they fail to live up to my expectations. Tis what it is to be a trainer.

Honestly wouldnt you say forcing them to submit and battle others is abuse in itself?

but yeah.. I just dabble with EV now and then but dont really try or focus on it.

I EV train and focus on natures. I mainly EV train to do well in the Battle Frontier. I don't really do competitive battling. I use natures so that my pokeblocks/poffins would be effective

Like most, I EV train and get good natures, but IVs are way too annoying.

I EV Train. It helps a Pokémon reach true potential they wouldn't ever attain with random training, and I think that'd make Pokémon happier. I care about my Pokémon, even if it's weird for people with no imagination. In the games, it's said Pokémon do their best because they love their Trainers. By reaching their full potential, they can do the best they can, which would make them bond better with their Trainers, and be able to live up to their desire to help their Trainers win.

As for IVs, I only seek the highest possible, while my main focus is to make of each of the Pokémon I train, an individual character on their own right. Once I get the desired Nature and the desired "Trait" (The text that hints at their highest IV), I keep the Pokémon and then do the best EV spread that'll benefit said IVs. I don't seek maxed out or above any number, though it's obviously preferred.

You can say I'm in a comfortable medium in this regard.

Since I just learned about IV breeding, I've been doing both. Now it takes me twice as long to get the Pokémon I want.

I EV Train. It helps a Pokémon reach true potential they wouldn't ever attain with random training, and I think that'd make Pokémon happier. I care about my Pokémon, even if it's weird for people with no imagination. In the games, it's said Pokémon do their best because they love their Trainers. By reaching their full potential, they can do the best they can, which would make them bond better with their Trainers, and be able to live up to their desire to help their Trainers win.
Thats a not so subtle way of saying those who realize its a chunk of data have no imagination.
<.<
You do realize this is just a game, right? You loving them has as much effect on them as you loving your toaster. the performance doesnt taste any different, its all in your head. Its potential is not reached because its just a chunk of data or delicious toast that you love, its potential is reached if you use the machinery right. IE EV'ing makes them better due to data, not love. and Toast is delicious.

You do realize this is just a game, right? You loving them has as much effect on them as you loving your toaster. the performance doesnt taste any different, its all in your head. Its potential is not reached because its just a chunk of data or delicious toast that you love, its potential is reached if you use the machinery right. IE EV'ing makes them better due to data, not love. and Toast is delicious.

That is what imagination/RP is, is it not?

Thats a not so subtle way of saying those who realize its a chunk of data have no imagination.
<.<

So I brough my blender a set of weights for nothing?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom