• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you EV or IV?

I don't really get this whole creul thing. I don't EV train or breed for IVs, but thats just because I can't be bothered. I'm not that dedicated I guess...

Thats a not so subtle way of saying those who realize its a chunk of data have no imagination.
<.<
You do realize this is just a game, right? You loving them has as much effect on them as you loving your toaster. the performance doesnt taste any different, its all in your head. Its potential is not reached because its just a chunk of data or delicious toast that you love, its potential is reached if you use the machinery right. IE EV'ing makes them better due to data, not love. and Toast is delicious.

There's no need to try to kill the fun some people have RP-ing out their Pokemon and the relationship of the trainer to them, y'know.

Sure, people who battle competitively have imagination. They just use it elsewhere. Doesn't mean either is right or wrong. =/

- Tyros

I only really bother with EV training at the moment. IV is a little bit complex for me to handle right now. I just focus on the basic of EV training myself, fighting the right Pokemon, wearing the Power Items, getting the right nature.

You loving them has as much effect on them as you loving your toaster.
This made me giggle :p

if it's a Cherubi, no, it's natural. anything else, hell yeah!
NOOOOOOOOOOO >o<

Anyway...
I do both, I find them both really enjoyable even if they are time-consuming. I understand people being attached to their Pokemon, despite them being chunks of data, but I still think it is quite a stretch to call IVing and EVing "cruel".

I do both, though I don't do heavy IV breeding.
I normally get 6 of a Pokemon with the desired nature and ability and check their IVs. If any have a good set of IVs, I will use it. (I don't need high in nearly every stat, just 1 or 2)

I do IV and EV when I actually want/need to battle. I'm a breeder so it's my nature to. I do it quite heavily actually.

I EV train, and i want to IV, I'm just not good at it. I almost always get the opposite stat boost. For example: I get an Adamant Machop with 31 in SpA, or a modest Abra with 31 in Atk.

When I'm first playing through the game, no. Then I try to raise a special team, which I EV train but do not breed for IVs.

I do EV-train, but I don't IV breed. Too complicated/timeconsuming. I usually breed Pokémon with good natures until I feel I have enough of them, check their IV's and go with the one with the best spread.

First of all, it's IV (Individual Value) BREEDING, and EV (Effort Value) TRAINING. Each baby is an INDIVIDUAL, and training requires EFFORT.

With that out of the way, I do both. However, when I breed, I don't get huge amounts of eggs. I soft-reset on one egg until it has the IVs I want (Less to release and, for those who believe the Pokemon have feelings, isn't "harsh treatment"). EV training is a definite must, whether the Pokemon sucks or not. I have an EV trained Beautifly on Emerald. That's right, Beautifly.

I just do it to optimize their performance, but for someone who gets emotionally attached, it could be viewed as... well, optimizing their performance. You pick a baby that has potential, and then train it in its strengths. If you think that's cruel, talk to boxers and their coaches. They do the same thing.

I tend to EV train and get the best natures for the Pokemon of choice but I don't worry about IVs. For one I am not in to competitive battles, and two, I just don't have the time to go through it all.

I would rather play the game through again (or another game) than spend hours going for perfect IVs. That just isn't fun for me, though I can see why people do it. I guess it all comes down to what you want to get out of the game.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom