• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you EV or IV?

I want 31/31/27/x/30/x :)

and how does EV training take 2 hours o_O I take like 40 minutes on 1 pokemon tops, 30 mins if it's just SpA and Spe EV'ing

I EV train in slow phase and I'm too poor to buy Vitamins.

About the Duskull, VM me with your offer or link to your shop.

EV training takes me only 15-20 min per Pokemon. I use 20 vitamins ( 10 for each stat I want to max out, which is 10 * 10= 100 EVs for each of the two stats). But I want another 152 effort points to maximize each stat. I have Pokerus and the specific power item on my Pokemon and I battle 15 wild Pokemon that give EVs for the stat I want to max. (15 * 10 = 150, 100 + 150= 250 EVs, so I need another 2 EVs). Then I take the Power Item back and battle another one Pokemon. I give another Power item to my Pokemon and do the same. So I max out 2 stats (252 + 252= 504 and I can put the 6 remaining EVs on another stat to raise it a little). I battle three different Pokemon and that's it.

Yeah! Too poor:(

Just breed a bunch of Pokemon, see which ones have the best stats, put them in and repeat with their offspring.

That what I do? I release Pokemon with poor looking stats before I bother to do IV battle.

As for me, yes, I EV train. I use vitamins + Pokerus + the power items, for quick EV training. But I only EV train the Pokemon which I want on my main teams (for competitive battling).

Also, I don't IV breed. Cause breeding the normal way takes long enough, and IV breeding takes even longer than that. I'm way too impatient for IV breeding. =P

The most I would do is breed for the right nature. XD

If I want a Pokemon with really good IVs, I'll just request someone to IV breed one for me. XD

If you have Ditto with the nature you want with the Everstone, it's way much easier.

I know what EV training is. I have a few accidental EV trained Pokemon.

I don't see how it's cruel to Pokemon in-the game.

Y'know, also, every time you have a battle against any in-game Pokemon, you're accidentally EV training Pokemon. Every time they fight something, they naturally pick up EVs. o__o

- Tyros

I always breed to get helpful natures and EV train when I have time, as with the new power items and stat lowering berries (for accidents) you can do it in no time at all. Even though I rarely battle human players I still try to make them tough. Lol.
IV's though, never. Horrible things.

Of course I do! Well, I don't know much about the IV breeding, I just breed or catch pokemon with the nature and characteristic, that I need. And I like to do EV training.
I find this interesting, and I feel kinda satisfied, when I have some strong pokemon, by knowing that I "made them with my own hands" or something. =)

If you have Ditto with the nature you want with the Everstone, it's way much easier.
Yes, I know that.

But it can sometimes take a long time to breed for the right nature. Cause even with the Everstone, you only have a 50% chance of getting the right nature. So you could hatch like 10 eggs, and you might not get the right nature. It has a lot to do with luck, really.

Also, hatching each egg still takes a while, even if you have a Pokemon with Flame Body/Magma Armor in your party (although, it depends upon which Pokemon you're trying to hatch). So if the nature of the Pokemon you want is wrong, you have to keep hatching more and more eggs. And this process takes even longer if you take IVs into account.

I mean, I've hatched Pokemon before, which have the right nature, but end up with crappy IVs. That's why I say IV breeding takes a really long time (because it can certainly take ages if you keep getting the wrong nature). And that's why I don't bother with IV breeding, cause I'm way too impatient for it. XP

But of course, I know there are "tricks" that people can use to hatch eggs quickly and check out a Pokemon's IVs, etc. And personally, I wouldn't do this myself, since it requires the use of a cheating device (I don't like hacking). However, it doesn't bother me when other people use tricks to help them out with breeding (especially if I'm asking a friend to IV breed a Pokemon for me). ^^

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom