• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you ever get confused about the gender ratios of some Pokemon?

chocovelvetcake

Your local cake lover ~ ♡
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Do you sometimes take one good look at a Pokemon and go "Why is their gender ratio the way it is?" When I was younger, I used to believe that all Sylveons were female because of how "girly" they look. One day, I was searching up Sylveon on Bulbapedia, and I looked at it's gender ratio, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Little did I know that Sylveon's gender ratio was 87.5% male and 12.5% female. I didn't even know there were male Sylveons up until that point. There are some "girly" looking Pokemon with more female to male gender ratios, but Sylveon isn't the case, and I was confused by this.

It's because of Eevee's gender ratio. The devs didnt want you to get tons of Eevees during you're playthrough and changing a pokemon's gender ratio can lead to Marill incidents (male evolves into female)

I often easily forget that Litleo's line is so heavily skewed in favor of females, like how starters, fossils, Snorlax, Lucario, Togepi, Eeveelutions etc. are so heavily skewed towards males. I think Litleo and Pyroar are the only Pokemon with an 87.5% female to 12.5% male ratio, in fact it is a reference to the real-life lore of a pride of lions only having one male to many females.

Lopunny, Gardevoir, Gorebyss, Mismagius, Sylveon (for a while), Braixen (Delphox is fine because since females represent witches then males represent wizards and Fennekin doesn’t matter), Mr. Mime, Thievul (I guess biologically it has a mustache, but if it’s a female, it does too? I’m really lucky to have a male Thievul in Shield), Goldeen (literally a feminine Pokémon but then it evolves into Seaking, a masculine Pokémon), etc.
Edit: I forgot to mention Mr. Rime. I also want to mention Salazzle as it’s not fair that female Salandit get to evolve but males don’t!

Last edited:
Not confused about gender ratios per se, but I'm confused about why certain Pokemon are genderless for no adequately explained reason. Like, why are Solrock, Lunatune, Carbink and Minior genderless? They're just floating rocks like Geodude, yet Geodude can be either male or female. So what gives?

Not confused about gender ratios per se, but I'm confused about why certain Pokemon are genderless for no adequately explained reason. Like, why are Solrock, Lunatune, Carbink and Minior genderless? They're just floating rocks like Geodude, yet Geodude can be either male or female. So what gives?
And Beldum/Metang/Metagross (but that’s Steel type but it looks like a rock)
No clue lol

Last edited:
Do you sometimes take one good look at a Pokemon and go "Why is their gender ratio the way it is?"

Not usually, but many years ago, I remember being baffled that the gender ratio, regarding the starters, was so favorable to the male sex. I thought, this doesn't make sense.

But personally, I never paid much attention to it, because Ditto is the way, the gender of Pokémon never mattered much, at least for me, although there are one or another implications in the game.

Last edited:
Lopunny, Gardevoir, Gorebyss, Mismagius, Sylveon (for a while), Braixen (Delphox is fine because since females represent witches then males represent wizards and Fennekin doesn’t matter), Mr. Mime, Thievul (I guess biologically it has a mustache, but if it’s a female, it does too? I’m really lucky to have a male Thievul in Shield), Goldeen (literally a feminine Pokémon but then it evolves into Seaking, a masculine Pokémon), etc.
Edit: I forgot to mention Mr. Rime. I also want to mention Salazzle as it’s not fair that female Salandit get to evolve but males don’t!
if you wanna know why it is male salandit can't evolve, it's because salazzle make them give the salazzle all their food and thus due to malnutrition they cannot evolve
yeah.

I'm just confused still on how there are single sex pokemon (Milktank-100% female, Cleffa line is 100% female I believe, Tauros 100%-male). The 'genderless' pokemon (aka all the myths/legendary it seems) also confuses me. I guess the gender unknown ones supposedly breed with Ditto (at least that's what the Bulbapedia page says) but still seems odd to me given I've never gotten into the whole 'hunting for shiny pokemon'/'breeding' mechanics in all my years I've played pokemon. I do notice a lot of pokemon seem to be leaning more towards males then females though. But I don't really think on it all that much.

I'm just confused still on how there are single sex pokemon (Milktank-100% female, Cleffa line is 100% female I believe, Tauros 100%-male). The 'genderless' pokemon (aka all the myths/legendary it seems) also confuses me. I guess the gender unknown ones supposedly breed with Ditto (at least that's what the Bulbapedia page says) but still seems odd to me given I've never gotten into the whole 'hunting for shiny pokemon'/'breeding' mechanics in all my years I've played pokemon. I do notice a lot of pokemon seem to be leaning more towards males then females though. But I don't really think on it all that much.
cleffa is like 75% female i think, but there are males
all of the starters and eeveelutions lean towards males bc they are supposed to be hard-to-acquire mon and unless you breed a male mon with ditto the baby will always be the same species as the mom

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom