• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you ever use the same Pokemon in a team?

Do you use the same Pokemon in a team?

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No, but I use the same Pokemon for other uses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
In battling, a rule is enforced so that players are prevented from using the same Pokemon in a team, which is good since it allows/forces you to use a variety of Pokemon, and in a way, it makes compiling Pokemon usage easily. However, no such restriction takes place in-game, so you can still use six Magikarp and the game won't disallow that.

The question is, do you use the same Pokemon in a team, if you could? Note that when you use the same Pokemon, it means that you use both of them in battles regularly, and not as an HM slave or just carrying around. They have to be used normally.

This is something I don't find myself doing, because with the variety of Pokemon introduced each game, it would be a shame not to take advantage of that.

Thanks for reading.

No, I actively try not to double up. I have several of the same Pokemon, but I never raise more than one at a time. I like keeping my party diverse and it prevents me from having a glaring weakness.

That said, I use the same types regularly. My Sun playthrough will be interesting given I intend to raise the Popplio line, Alolan Ninetales & Mid-day Lycanroc. That Steel weakness lmao, Solgaleo is going to wreck me

I avoid it as much as possible. I love having all these different Pokemon to choose from, so I don't ever have two of the same kind in games. I even try to make sure their primary typings don't match another one I use in game, and if I do another run through, I try to make sure that I'm not using a Pokemon I did my last run through with. If I am playing through ORAS or XY again, specifically, and I want something different than what's offered in game, I'll find what I do want to use, breed it if I have to, and trade it over to the game.

I've only done this once with two Giratina during Omega Ruby, both in different forms. I do have two separate Gengar in that game too for when I feel like using a different Mega Evolution but the duo haven't been used in the same battle.

I always like to mix things up by using new and old. Some of them are just among my favourites and I love using them. For instance: I am so happy that Growlithe and Arcanine are in SM. I haven't had the chance to really use them since BW2, so I'm certain they are earning a spot on my team.

If I am talking about within my team in an individual game, then no. I don't find any reason to do that.

However, if I am talking about same Pokémon in different games, then yes. Because there were really useful ones in XY that warranted repeated uses in BW2, such as Ampharos and Lucario. (Much better than Zebstrika/Emolga and Gurdurr in BW1, respectively.)

A good 99.9% of the time, no. I always try to have variety on my teams.

The .1% time is when I need an HM user and sometimes it'll be the same species of something I already have in my team (such as two Charizard, one used specifically for the moves Fly and Cut).

I think when I was a noob playing Pearl I tried to have both versions of Shellos on my team, but that didn't last long at all. Otherwise I've never done it and most of the time wouldn't. The only exceptions would be if it was a Pokemon like Silvally/Arceus where it can change type, something like Oricorio/Rotom where different forms have different-types, or very rarely, a Deerling/Furfrou situation where it can have different appearances.

Unless I ever do something like those examples, I don't plan on ever repeating Pokemon on a team. That's kinda boring considering there are over 700 of them now.

I can safely say that I have never once seriously kept two or more Pokemon of the same kind on a single team, and I certainly do not plan to anytime soon.

It's rather pointless to do so, in my opinion. The only exception I can see to this would be keeping a male and female Meowstic, and only because they learn different moves, but it still doesn't really warrant it.

Yes in different instances. Pikachu is my favorite Pokemon and I've used it on my Yellow team (because it was a starter), my Y team (It was one of the first I caught), my Omega Ruby team (It was the special cosplay Pikachu and I used Pikachu Libre all of the time) and recently in Pokemon Sun (I caught a Pichu and it evolved).

I've also Butterfree on my Pokemon Yellow, Y and Blue teams. Venusaur has been my Yellow and Blue teams.

Nope. My only (temporary) exception to that was when I did an Eeveelution run on my second Black 2 playthrough and had 6 Eevees on my team until I was able to evolve them

I don't see the point of using the same Pokémon more than once on a team, unless it either A: has very diverse moves at its disposal and good all-round stats or B: multiple forms that offer more than just a cosmetic difference. Even then I've never done it.

Nope! The only time I did something like that was when I was a kid and heard if you used like three or four geodudes (or something similar) I could get Mew back in R/B/Y. Those were the days, the days of being young and naive and believing the craziest of lies! New fans won't remember how many stories went around about Mew in those first games. Was such a different time.

I rarely even catch duplicate Pokémon. The only time I can recall an occurrence of a duplicate team in my game was when I decided to try out a team of 6 Unown, because 7-year old me is an idiot.

99% of the time I won't
I will already have my team planned out from the start - bred and just have the eggs ready to be sent over and hatched.

The other 1% - mainly if I'm playing a challenge
or my all Eevee team (I know I will have fun with it)
or I may have more than 1 Eevee per team but will make it evolve into different 'Veelutions

Not normally, but on occasion I have used a Venusaur and a Bulbasaur.

During one memorable playthrough of ORAS I did use two Venusaur. They filled different niches for my team so it was great fun.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom