• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you feel the voices have improved since the cast change took place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reason people don't have a problem with the voices now is most of the old characters are gone. Iris and Cilan have no 4kids VA's obviously, neither did Dawn or the other DP characters, so there was nobody older to compare them to.

I always did think that May, Brock, and Jessie had the best new voices, back when Battle Frontier began 5 years ago.

To be honest, I never liked May's new voice. But I'm biased, so of course I would say that. =P

Anyway, as for the new voices, I like Brock and Jessie the most. In my opinion, they sound closest to the original voices.

And Gliscor'd, I think you're forgetting something. Cilan is voiced by Jason Griffith, who happens to be a 4Kids VA. Just wanted to correct you. XD

I like May's voice. But Ash's really needs to get back deeper. I still don't like it like it is.

I suppose the difference is we never heard May's new voice for very long. Just the last 50 or so BF eps, Movie 9, and her 4 DP episodes. Meanwhile Ash/Brock/TR were still around for another 5+ years with the new voices.

That being said at points I prefered May's voice over Veronica's, especially in Movie 9 and the Kanto Grand Festival. Sometimes I wonder if Veronica Taylor would have pulled off those scenes as well.

Yes, managed to watch all the way through Season 9 roughly 3/4* months ago via offical pokemon website and Sarah definitely gotten better since then, though I did like Veronica's version of May better

*might be slightly off when Season 9 aired on the website

I think its hard to tell now, all the old characters are gone. Ash has improved, TR has sorta improved in some areas. Brock was pretty solid throughout DP.

As for Misty's new voice, it was only heard once and never again, so I guess we'll never know there given she hasn't had a cameo in 6 years and probably won't appear in Best Wishes at all.

Ash's voice has definitely improved since the cast change. His voice was pretty hard to listen to at first, during the end of Advanced Generation, but now its pretty alright.

I think that they have improved for the most part. I could barely stand watching the Battle Frontier dub since the majority of the voices sounded far too painful to bare, especially Sarah's voice for Ash. That's also the same reason why I still haven't seen that entire season yet, but I think that they improved quite nicely during the course of DP. Sarah's voice for Ash started to really improve I think either near the end of the first season or in the Darkrai movie. While I still prefer Veronica Taylor's voice for Ash, Sarah probably had the most improvement compared to the other voice actors due to how quickly her voice for Ash changed for the better. I also remember being pretty impressed with her performance during the Arceus movie, specifically the moment where Ash thought that Arceus had died, so I respect her for that. That same improvement has continued on into BW where she sounds pretty decent. Bill Rogers also became really good as Brock. I don't think he handled some of the love daze bits that well, at least before Croagunk came in to finish the gag, but he grew pretty comfortable in his role and that reflected his performance.

Michele Knotz's Jessie also got better also when DP started out, or I just got used to it, but it's the voice for Team Rocket that I'm most comfortable with. I also didn't really like her voice for May as it sounded a bit too high-pitched for my tastes. James and Meowth are a bit more hit or miss for me. Meowth's voice is okay, but some of the dlalogue he gets might make it hard for me see if his voice has really improved. James sometimes sounds a bit too British-like to me, but the emotional scenes /moments during DP were handled pretty well. I would say that they have improved overall over the last few years, but I still generally prefer the original cast for the emotions they could bring to their characters and while the current cast has improved, I think that some of the original voices fit the characters better than the current ones do.

Yes, I think the dub voices have improved since the cast change. Sarah's BW Ash is probably the closest voice that sounds similar to Rika Matsumoto's yet. The only voice I don't like as much as James'. His voice still has that goofy, flamboyant quality to it and it sticks out like a sore thumb in TR's serious moments.

Well, honestly they've improved in BW, but it's just reached the "tolerable" level of voice acting. That being said it's a significant step up for a dub cast I couldn't stand in the DP Saga and was still cringing at in the BF Saga. They're still really bad ripoffs/caricatures of the 4kids ones' (namely Ash and James in BW-- which is what I like about these two VAs Sarah and Jimmy), some are utter trash and make my ears bleed (Brock, May, Max, Meowth, Oak, Delia), and others are decent (Dawn, Iris, Cilan).

The TPCi voice actors are still pretty much drastically inferior to the 4Kids cast and probably will be for the duration of the anime's run (I'm not expecting much from them since I know that they don't really have much of a standard). They're finally decent now, but they still have fake yelling, come across as made for kids (literally it's way worse than when a company with that in its name, 4Kids, had it), and the voices still grate on my ears sometimes. So, all in all, they've improved somewhat up to BW and are now decent, but it's certainly not on par with Seasons 1-8 dub and won't be unless the original voice actors come back (which, knowing TPCi, will never happen). I still, to this day, prefer the original VAs significantly over the new VAs, simply because they fit the characters a lot better. I am willing to acknowledge TPCi finally dubs tolerably in BW, though. :)

I think the reason people don't have a problem with the voices now is most of the old characters are gone. Iris and Cilan have no 4kids VA's obviously, neither did Dawn or the other DP characters, so there was nobody older to compare them to.

I always did think that May, Brock, and Jessie had the best new voices, back when Battle Frontier began 5 years ago.

Actually Cilan IS dubbed by Jason Griffith, who worked when 4Kids was dubbing the anime.

To me, Michele Knotz has improved from Battle Frontier but her May and Jessie still aren't equal to Rachael Lillis and Veronica Taylor, I also enjoy Emily Jenness and Eileen Stevens, but Sarah Natochenney I don't think so, I STILL can't get emotionally attached to her Ash. Jimmy Zoppi/James Carter Cathcart's portrayal as James, still isn't up to par with Eric Stuart's and his Meowth is almost close but still Maddie's Meowth is legend. I still can't get emotionally attached to Pokemon and it's been six years, they only I can is by seeing the anime in Japanese.

To me, Michele Knotz has improved from Battle Frontier but her May and Jessie still aren't equal to Rachael Lillis and Veronica Taylor, I also enjoy Emily Jenness and Eileen Stevens, but Sarah Natochenney I don't think so, I STILL can't get emotionally attached to her Ash. Jimmy Zoppi/James Carter Cathcart's portrayal as James, still isn't up to par with Eric Stuart's and his Meowth is almost close but still Maddie's Meowth is legend. I still can't get emotionally attached to Pokemon and it's been six years, they only I can is by seeing the anime in Japanese.

I sincerely hope that one day Veronica, Eric, Rachael, Nathan, Amy, and the like return in their main cast roles someday (well Eric, Veronica, and Rachael for BW). Even if these voice actors did voice overs in an alternate English language dub of the series so that the new cast members aren't fired, I'd be more than content with that. It would be nice, granted it probably won't happen, but a lot of fans would love it nonetheless.

I'd personally think TPCi's taking a step in the right direction in BW, and now that 4Kids is basically out of the picture in anime altogether (Konami and Yu-Gi-Oh! fiasco led them to give up Toonzai block and Saban now has it), TPCi should start bringing back the original VAs Veronica Taylor as Ash, Eric Stuart as James, Nathan Price as Meowth (obviously since Maddie is dead R.I.P. my personal favorite Meowth), etc. for the remainder of the BW Saga.

Last edited:
I'd personally think TPCi's taking a step in the right direction in BW, and now that 4Kids is basically out of the picture in anime altogether (Konami and Yu-Gi-Oh! fiasco led them to give up Toonzai block and Saban now has it), TPCi should start bringing back the original VAs Veronica Taylor as Ash, Eric Stuart as James, Nathan Price as Meowth (obviously since Maddie is dead R.I.P. my personal favorite Meowth), etc. for the remainder of the BW Saga.

While the idea of the original cast returning sounds nice, I seriously doubt that they'll do that. I don't think that they would consider replacing the current cast with the original just because 4Kids is back to their pre-Pokemon days and if they wanted the original cast, then I think that they would have found a way to keep them back when they got the license. I would like to see the remaining original cast returning to their roles, but at the same time, I'm okay with the current cast. They aren't as good in my opinion, but they have, overall, improved from Battle Frontier, where it was hard to just watch an episode, to ranging from decent to good in my opinion. So, I don't mind the current cast and haven't since during either the first or second season of DP.

While the idea of the original cast returning sounds nice, I seriously doubt that they'll do that. I don't think that they would consider replacing the current cast with the original just because 4Kids is back to their pre-Pokemon days and if they wanted the original cast, then I think that they would have found a way to keep them back when they got the license. I would like to see the remaining original cast returning to their roles, but at the same time, I'm okay with the current cast. They aren't as good in my opinion, but they have, overall, improved from Battle Frontier, where it was hard to just watch an episode, to ranging from decent to good in my opinion. So, I don't mind the current cast and haven't since during either the first or second season of DP.

Make sense. I hated them throughout BF and DP, but I'm actually fine with them in the BW dub. However, some of them have actually ended up getting worse to me.

I thought Bill Rogers was a lot better as Brock back in the BF than he was in DP (back then, his voice wasn't so...deep... for the character).

I also feel that way about Michele Knotz as May (specifically, the DP cameo May made...she had some really weird accent there). Now, I feel this way about Jimmy Zoppi's Meowth in BW (he sounds TOO evil in the role- it's not cute at all).

So, majority of voices have improved to being good for the characters. Others have actually gotten worse over time, though, to me, and are very poor.

Last edited:
They've come a long way from BF (at least most of them), but they're not nearly as good as 4Kids.

Since I got into the anime when Season 10 began, I've honestly been a big fan of the TPCi dub ever since.

It's obvious Sarah Natochenny got off to a rocky start in Season 9, but she's gotten so much better since then. Now with BW, I can't imagine anyone else voicing Ash at this point, she is just so good.

My one nitpick of the TPCi dub though is James and Meowth being voiced by the same VA, Jimmy Zoppi. While he does a great job voicing them, I think the two sound a little too much alike to my ears.

Voices are grown to be liked. It's modern audio technology that make PUSA better

In the beginning of the change, the transition was the most abominable peace of poo I have ever seen. However, whilst the old voices are missed, the new ones really improved and are just as good.

They are so much better than then they were in Season 9 But I think the BEST Voices are Tom The Hermit Crab Wayland, Otter Ortiz, and Captain Connoisseur Griffith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom