• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you find it hard to play the old games?

I tried playing Crystal a few weeks ago, and couldn't do it. There are so many moves that didnt' exist in that game, and the fact "Bite" exists as a special move always bothered me.

Yeah, all the things listed seem to annoy me. Especially the lack of Bag pockets and running shoes. In fact, even though there aren't running shoes, I still find myself holding in the B button thinking it will make me go faster.

Sometimes it feels hard, if features I use aren't there, but not usually.

I do find it hard. I tried playing Crystal, but i'd rather wait for HG/SS to be released in America.
I just can't do it for some reason.

I really liked Blue, and Gold when i had the old GB, and the GBC.

Not at all, I love them. I wish I had a GameBoy just so I could play Blue right now.

You know, the Bicycle is basically the same thing as the Running shoes, it just takes longer to obtain.

And I can easily play any version, anytime. They each have a unique charm.

nope, the same goes for when I randomly feel like playing any other old game like on the NES

Very. I've been trying to play through Emerald for over a year and a half. I don't know if GenIV has ruined me to it or something, or if the Hoenn games really are just that boring, but the things murder.

The only thing I find hard is that generation 1 and 2 are pretty slow. As in the protagonist's bike in gen 1 is barely fast, and you can't run.

Also, you don't have descriptions so unless I feel like using Bulbapedia TMs and some moves are out of use in the first gen at least.

Last edited:
The graphics in Ruby/Sapphire make it a real chore to play them. R/B and G/S had an excuse and their graphics looked awesome. So I dont know why the R/S sprites are so disgusting.

Yes. I can generally play through any game Gen II and above, but I never finished Yellow because FR/LG basically messed it up for me.

It's really hard for me to play the Gen I games because of the disorganized item storing system. Drives me crazy. Gen II onward are fun to play, though, because of the inclusion of the backpack. Hooray, backpack!

Nah actually I do just fine though I will say everytime I play LeafGreen even at like level 85 on each of my party memebers I am still having the elite four kicking my tail about and I am not quite why... And I do the same type of method of hunting as I would in Sapphire and Platinum with absolutely no problems! Course they are VERY good at poisoning every time... and all the other bad status elements pretty much every hit VERY rare in that game did I get missed by it and critical hits like you wouldn't believe haha! I might be just very unlucky but that is both times I played it and happened...

But Sapphire older and so far the hardest poke'mon due to how many times the trainers will sometimes use healing items but that is really all I had issues with and do well

Platinum same way amazing... some parts can be hard but I mean it is a game meant to have some challenge but not like "flustrating" haha!

As for Crystal, Gold, and Silver never got a chance to play it so nice to know they are putting out HeartGold and SoulSilver! *cheers!* Obviously some new mechanics and new content but still!

-Cricket Korta'Ari-

I've no problems if they are Gen III... but I'm kinda having trouble playing the older ones...

While I love the many improvements the series has been given throughout the generations, I do still enjoy playing the older games for their simplicity-- and the nostalgia, I feel like I'm 10 years old again when I play my original Red.

Honestly, I find the newer games harder to play. >____>

I think it's because I pretty much hate the new Pokemon species, so that's why I don't play them as much.

And there's just too much to do- it sounds dumb but it's true. I got sick of playing Leaf Green as soon as I got to the Sevii islands or whatever.
I never use the battle tower or Pal park or anything either... simpler is better.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom