• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you find it hard to play the old games?

Lugnut

Johto!
Reaction score
So we all know many changes have been made since Gen I, like the addition of the Exp. Bar, bag pockets, running shoes, and HM use (how you can just stand in front of a tree and just press A to use cut). Even the addition of clocks, and the animated sprites has made game play different and more enjoyable. The question is; can you still enjoy the Gen I games or does the absence of such things annoy you? I’m not really talking about the graphics, but just the little things that have made the series better over time.

It really doesn’t bother me too much, but then again I don’t really play Gen I as much anymore now that there are remakes of those games. What do you all think?

Yeah... I've gotten quite used to transitioning between IV and III since I play Ruby for the Hoenn-Pokèmon, but when I go back to Red I get annoyed because the character is moving too slowly and its too hard to use HMs and the Bike (since I can no longer just walk up to a tree and get the option to cut it...and I have to go to the meny every time I want to push a boulder...) There's also the issue of no longer seeing just how good an attack is or what it does before you teach it to a Pokèmon, since I tend to forget that sometimes:p

True I don't play gen I now that I have Platinum, I did before getting it since it was then technically the only pokèmon game I had XD (having stupidly sold Gold and Sapphire... Ruby is actually my brother's)

When I play them, the biggest thing that gets me is the lack of runing shos. Yeah, i'm lazy.

It's a weird feeling. I do indeed find it hard. But I still love it.

Not really. I was playing Pikachu Yellow version a couple nights ago and I actually forgot about not having running shoes. o_O

The slow-pacing of the games hurt a lot.

I have to play FR/LG instead of RBY, since the originals just seem too dated for me.

When HGSS come out, playing GSC is going to feel like ancient artifacts in comparison.

I still play red all the time. I still keep habits from red (micro-organizing my bags), and most of the time I have battle animation off and visualize it in my head. There are some things that are annoying about gen 1, but overall it's still very playable and enjoyable to me.

I'm sad to say that when I played Silver a few months ago amid the HGSS frenzy, I was unable to play much past Sprout Tower. The hours of enjoyment I had got out of playing the originals had gone. The "magic" just wasn't there. So sad.

I still play red all the time. I still keep habits from red (micro-organizing my bags)
Me too! Although I think that's because I'm OCD about things like that.
Anyhow, I do find it harder to play. The pace is much too slow. I don't know, there's just too many things missing. I can play GSC if I really wanted, RBY is definitely a no no.

I haven't dared played my Red again, mostly from worry that I'd break it. I would also like to keep its glory intact and unsullied, rather than be disappointed.

I made the mistake of watching the old TMNT cartoons a while back, and realized how atrocious they were. My childhood still has not forgiven me.

Not so much, even though I'm used to Gen IV's physical/special split.

I also find D/P hard to play nowadays because of the longer lag time compared to Platinum.

Not really... But I only started from Gen III anyway so it really isn't that different. But it is sorta frustrating that I have such a limited amount of moves available in Ruby for my Blaziken.

Crystal does irritate with its lack of running shoes though.

I restarted Blue again, for the umpteenth time. Initially the lack of running shoes bugged me, but what really gets me is the lack of distinct mini icons for each individual pokémon on my team.

Aside from that, I like the challenge replaying Blue brings. It's much harder, for me at least, to level my (always different) team up and create movesets to give the Elite Four and Green/Blue a good thumping.

I prefer the older games to the new ones for some reason.

Heck, I'm replaying through Green right now and I'm having more fun with it than my diamond version.
The lack of everything doesn't bother me because I know its age.

I got curious and tried to play Silver to get myself pumped for HGSS . . . and I couldn't believe how difficult it was for me to get back into the groove of the old GB brick. I actually forgot a lot about it, but it was so hard . . . I'm sure if I grabbed my transfer pak and my Red, I could probably try to see if I've still got it on Stadium (or on the GB player there) . . .

As for Gen III, I play them (mainly FR/Ruby/Emerald) on my DS, so I easily forget that I can't use the touch screen or the other buttons that I usually use. I get Start and Select mixed up so fast . . . it's pathetic.

Actually yes, I did find it hard.
But, I will eventually put up with it sooo
yeah :p

Thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom