• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you find it hard to play the old games?

I haven't really return to the old games, but I think that the original Gold and Silver are easier to get into, because it is considered a different game at its time, but on the other hand, I think the lack of abilities could make it difficult too (like Gengar and Weezing's lack of levitation). Of course, the Generation 3 games are easy to get into for me, because the technology is sufficient for the games, not to mention the fast pace of the battles (and the ability to switch off battle and Pokemon animations is a plus).

I'm fine with playing older games except the third generation games for some reason.

Last edited:
I can agree with Dark Heart. I'm playing through Sapphire again, but it really feels like the awkward transition from old to new. Caught somewhere between. I love playing the old ones still. The main issue I have with them is the box system. So slow and hard to keep track of who you have where.

When I briefly replayed my Generation I games last year, I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to the lack of features, but I found that they were surprisingly simple. The premise in the original Red and Blue was very straightforward (battle, level up, get badges, and so on), and without abilities and natures and time of day and stuff like that to worry about, I just breezed right through. Though there were some things that frustrated me, I won't deny it. Having an unorganized bag was a pain in the ass, not to mention the lack of a breeding center, and the Exp. All is just torture - thank God they refined it.

It's weird to see people referring to FireRed and Emerald as "old games", 'cause I still play those all the time, and they don't feel old or outdated to me at all.

i even find my diamond hard to play now for some reson after getting heart gold!

Actually I really love 3rd Gen games but I cannot play them now. Since the physical and special split happened, the doors to go back are closed for me.

HA! The Running Shoes are not that important to me. Older games are easier mumbleexceptwhitneymumble but still easier than the new ones. The Special/Physical split made things more complicated in my opinion. I could just remember specific types to Spcl. Atk and Attack. Now I have to check the individual moves, and change them accordingly to my Pokemons stats. Before the split is better.

IMO, definitely. There's something magical about the Gen I games, I still enjoy them, even with the newer games. Sometimes, I wonder if I even enjoy the older games more, even without all the additions. D:

I personally find the older games much more challenging.

Pokemon has become a little too easy these days in my opinion. Back in the day, when you couldn't breed, you only got one Lapras, and two Snorlax. The only Pokemon that are rare now are the legnedaries, and even they're not as special as they used to be.

The old graphics are horrible, but I adore them, I think they're so cute. I love all Pokemon games, but playing my Blue version just makes me feel so happy inside.

Today my friend, who's not really into Pokemon, told me he'd found his old Red version and GBC. He challenged me to start new game in my Red, and that we'd battle on Sunday. I'm loving every second.

For anyone that cares, if I win, he has to call me Red for the rest of eternity :D

haha, genI used to be my favourite thing ever, probably because I actually had a lot of patience back then. (or I think that's kind of society's fault, for making everything so easy now)
I can't even transition from heartgold back to diamond, cos to put my running shoes on I have to press B.... I CAN'T JUST CLICK THE RUNNING SHOE TAP TO KEEP IT ON. I took out my blue the other day, the first 15 min was some good ol' nostalgia, but it got old fast.

The only hard thing is remembering there's no physical/special-split in the old games. I'm a moron.

I played FireRed this afternoon and I found it pretty hard to play the game because I'm so used to the features on the newer ones. If I find that one hard you can imagine how I feel about playing RBY/GSC.

omg the bag limit

like i'll be in silph co. FINALLY getting the key item and it'll be like "YOUR BAG IS FULL" and i'd have to throw away 20 hyper potions or something.....:(

It always takes me an hour to get used to not having the Running Shoes, and sometimes, in Blue, I forget about Magnemite's type. But it's mostly small stuff, and it doesn't take too long to get re-accustomed to the older stuff.

When I play the 1st gen games, the thing I miss most is the experience bar. I have to keep re-checking my 'mons stat pages to see how close they are to leveling. That and I have to get used to some 'mons having much smaller movepools and I have to give them crazy movesets because I don't have any other choice (Hyper Beam Raticate FTW!). Oh, and none-reusable TMs are painful (thanks Gen V!).

Yes. The oldest game I have is FireRed, but the graphics and music are such a jarring contrast to the DS games that I rarely play it anymore.

To be honest, I do. Especially when going back to Gen I.

Mind you, it doesn't mean I enjoy it any less, it's just that the loss of all those features I now take for granted is jarring.

To me it feels like driving a new car, then climbing into a very old car with no AC, no power windows, no windscreen wipers, no seatbelts, and no radio. The old car's still fun, but the lack of modern comforts is quite obvious.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom