• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you find mid-battle evolution's cheap or perfectly acceptable?

Acceptable or not?

• Yes

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Masurao

Easy listening
Reaction score
Throughout the series, most notably recent in Best Wishes, we've seen alot of mid-battle evolutions. It's happened several times in the series overall as well. Do you find these events cheap, or perfectly acceptable from a story-line standpoint?

I don't have any problem with it. In fact, I think mid-battle evolutions are a great way to add to a Pokemon character's development and show how determined it is to fight its hardest for its trainer. It helps to show how strong the relationship is between the Pokemon and the trainer too.

I made a thread theorizing adrenaline as a trigger for evolution when a Pokemon is close to it. I'm okay with it and it could justify Pokemon Trainers as without that Trainer to fight for and with, the Pokemon might not have achieved their current strength.

I voted acceptable but to me it depends on what happened before, the personality of the Pokémon itself, what we saw from them, how this fits in their trainer's overall story, etc. Every case is unique, but it can definitely be done right and be totally acceptable.

It never bothered me up until Best Wishes, where we've seen it used three times already in Gym Battles. The only one I didn't mind seeing it with was Gantle, mainly because it was a pretty cool scene.

Acceptable, as long as the Pokemon has a lot of battle experience already. Evolutions are always exciting moments, and they can make an intense battle even more enjoyable if done right.

As long as it's not overdone, and it doesn't happen too soon after a Pokemon is captured or has already evolved once.

If there's a justified reason for evolution, by all means evolve mid battle, but it its just for the sake of not being strong enough, I disagree.

I don't see any problem at all with mid-battle evolution. In the anime, pokemon can evolve at any time they please if they have the right level of experience so there's nothing wrong with evolving in the middle of a battle whatsoever.

Yeah, it is kind of cheap. Well, the way they write it is, at least.

"Oh no, Sewaddle is on the ropes! It can barely stand and has no effective attacks!"
EVOLUTION
"Aww yeeeaaauh, Swadloon. Now it is inexplicably healed from it's prior injuries and I shall command it to use a move it just conviniently learned!"

"Oh geeze, Roggenrola is pretty much stone cold dead at this point!"
EVOLUTION
"Kewl, Boldore. Now that you're completely healed somehow, use that super effective move you just so happened to learn at the most crucial moment!"

"Oh shit, Tranquil's goose is cooked!"
EVOLUTION
"Awesome, Unfezant. Talk about Super Luck! You were completely exhausted just moments before, but you're all better now and have superior flying abilities, so use Aerial Ace since it can't possibly miss the target!"

I mean, I don't mind if the battle is good, but c'mon. The way they write it eliminates that element of strategy and quick thinking that these scuffles are supposed to be about.

Last edited:
Well... can't think of any other way they would evolve, so it's fine. I'm not bothered by the fact that the evolved versions usually learn a new move since you know, their body construction changes so it makes sense, more or less. Not really a fan of how evolution causes a full heal in the show though.

Well... can't think of any other way they would evolve, so it's fine. I'm not bothered by the fact that the evolved versions usually learn a new move since you know, their body construction changes so it makes sense, more or less. Not really a fan of how evolution causes a full heal in the show though.

Well, their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.

Well, their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.

Like in the TCG!

I find them a positive solution, as long as they go by acceptable evolution methods(NO WTF? WHERE'S THE STONE/ITEM/TRADE/etc./? EVOS)

Acceptable, as long as the Pokemon has earned it by having enough prior training and doesn't feel too forced or too cheap. I still voted Yes though.

I usually find most of the evolutions mid-battle to be cheap. Because usually it's like oh, I'm weak now and there's no way I can win but as soon as I evolve I get stronger and get all these amazing new moves and blah blah blah.

The only evolution mid battle I think that was handled really well was Chimchar to Monferno during Ash and Paul's full battle, because after Chimmy evolved he didn't just turn the entire battle around with cheapness and sweep half of Paul's team. Electabuzz still managed to KO him and Monferno struggled even after evolving. Those are the kind of mid-battle evolutions I truly enjoy, where after evolving the Pokemon don't just win after a few hits and showcasing of new moves, but still struggle with their opponent just as much as they did before evolving. It makes it more realistic imo.

Well, as realistic as Pokemon can get anyway.

Evolutions it self has always needed to be in a battle whenever a Pokemon evolved in the anime. However, atleast the battles are getting done. I don't feel that they are cheap but I just feel that the writers are in such a rush that they haven't take the time to give them each their own training times in order for that evolution. I don't have a problem with evolving but I do if the Pokemon aren't training outside of that and they just happen to evolve in the gym floor. That's what gets me.

I'm okay with it as long as the Pokemon evolving doesn't proceed to curb stomp the opposition just because it evolved. As long as the battle remains close, I'm fine.

I'm okay with it as well, but on second's thoughts, Sabrina's Abra evolving into a Kadabra all of a sudden had been totally unfair because the increase in stats had been rather too much.

Back
Top Bottom