• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you get attached to your teams?

hanecco

Hoppip Appreciator
Reaction score
What the title says. Do you get attached to your team in the main series games?

Last edited:
Yes, I do quite a bit, at least during the playthroughs themselves (and afterwards, I've been collecting my full teams in HOME since my first team back in Sun in 2017; I'm proud of each one of them). I feel bad everytime any of my Pokemon faints or when it is hurting because of poisoning or a burn and I tend to look for them and I care about them being friendly, not only because of the actual perks of last generations, but because somehow I feel like they're my pets. Virtual pets, but pets anyways.

I've got even more attached to my "themed" teams, such as my Christmas team or my Mexican team. Those are among my favorite teams of all, basically because they look cool together, they complement each other and they mean something together as well.

Last edited:
Yup, of course. They're my companions and the ones that travel alongside me. I loved the "photo" feature of LG's Game Corner because I just adored to have my pals printed on my Trainer's Card and I wish they'd kept that feature. I also liked collecting Gold Leafs in HG because it meant I was really close to my buddies and checked on them once in a while.
The only team to which I didn't get that much attached was from Moon: I love my sick puppy Lycanroc but aside from that I didn't liked the game and the team suffered from it.
At the moment, my favorite teams are HG's (Meganium, Typhlosion, Feraligtor, Arbok, Electivire (which only evolved recently and spend 99,9% as Electabuzz) and Skarmory) and AS (my main-story was Chesnaught, Roserade, Gogoat, Ludicolo, Breloom and Tropius but now I rotate with a few other Grass-types, namely Sceptile, Vileplume, Trevenant, Ferrothorn and Summer Sawsbuck). :bulbaLove:

I get attached to Pokemon I’ve raised for a long time, and ones I’ve achieved things with. For example, my Jellicent managed to defeat Reshiram, and that’s earned it a spot on my team.

On the other hand, I don’t get upset if they are defeated or poisoned or whatever. I also don’t mind deleting my save file to raise a new team.

I get attached to them in the same way I do my party in other RPGs (or similar games, like character-heavy simulations). I tend to give them personalities (again, like in older RPGs where you often had blank slates) and relations with the rest of the team or recurring opponent (when I last played Red my Raichu kept beating Blue's Alakazam so I imagined them having a rivalry), sometimes when I put on at the front of the party or switch them in I imagine them showing they want to go next (as happened in the show at times).

I don't get upset about fainting or such, but I do feel glad when one pulls off a surprising win and imagine my character giving them a hug/handshake/whatever's appropriate for my species (like in my battle with Leon at the end of Sword my Weavile, Skatha, kept getting Flinches, which I imagined as her going berserk and just attacking over and over before they could respond).

Across the entire series, I tend to remember specific team members moreso than my teams themselves. I've played through the games so many times that remebering all my teams becomes a bit impossible. Special Pokemon would include some of my shinies, my level 100s, and team members who I thought were fun to use. There are some teams that stand out to me, but they're usually gimmicky, like my mono-grass team I used in one playthrough.

Within each of the games themselves, I usually end up with 1 or 2 Pokemon I get attached to more than the others. I play favorites, I guess.

I used to in the past when I was a kid and took a lot of pride in building my teams to include my favorite Pokemon, but now I'm less interested in my teams and I'm more willing to switch Pokemon around. Like for example I recently replaced my Gastrodon in Pearl with Garchomp since it's the better Ground type.

I spend ~30 hours with my ingame teams, it'd be hard for me not to get attached to them. I have several boxes on Bank dedicated to old parties organised by region (FRLG, then HGSS/Crystal, and so on). I think the oldest Pokemon were my team from Diamond? So it dates back 13 years.
I also keep my previous parties organized (previously in Bank, now safely in Home), but separated by party nonetheless. Mine don't go back that far (I wish), my oldest is my first party of Sun back in 2017. I would love to retrieve the party I have in DX (which I think is around 2010), but since I don't have a GameCube nor a Game Boy Advance, that's unlikely. And sadly, the data from my old copies of Blue and Silver (the Game Boy ones, not the Virtual Console ones) is gone due to the battery drying up or something (plus I think there is no way to transfer those to Bank).

I do, I've never been able to just discard them. I always sent them to the newest games even if I'm not able to use them for the main playthrough I can't leave them behind. I still have old teams from RS FRLG in my pokemon bank and use them for the battle towers and stuff like that.

I get attached to every single one of my shinies. They are like my babies. I headcanon them in a little oak's lab or sakurai dome. I often think that pokémon is just as popular as it is, because people get attached and do some imaginary storytelling.
I remember a few weeks ago where I saw this girl posting on a group on facebook that she had her charizard since gen 3, and that he's traveled all the way with her till sword and shield. She said she cared for him, that she loved him in a way, and I believe that. It is human to get attached to things. Me with my shinies, her with her charizard, you with your teams and inexplicably my fiancee with me.

Honestly, no. I don't put that much work into training my Pokemon and I use very few of my favorite Pokemon when it comes to building my teams, so I tend to just stick with the best Pokemon that I can find with type diversity in mind but I don't get attached to my Pokemon.

Not really, since every time I make a playthrough team I just take the first 5 pokemon in the grass and my starter and after I finish the game I just put everything in the box and start a competitive team.

No, not really. I took my whole team and put them in a box in Sword while a team of pure garbage (6 Garbodor) beat the Champion's Cup. I regularly swap out in game team members both to "upgrade" them if I find a better Pokemon to fill a certain role, as well as to optimize my team for the gym or challenge I'm currently attempting. I have a level 3 Geodude in my HeartGold team whose only purpose is to rock smash and dig, and to take a hit so I can safely swap in a Pokemon who is capable of dealing with the opponent, rather than swapping them in directly. Note that I do feel bad about that, I don't like using Pokemon like that but when only 2 1/2 of your Pokemon are high enough level to be useful, you have limited options if you want to be successful vs opposing teams of 6.

At the same time, I have Pokemon which I'm very attached to, which never even see the field. Entei in HeartGold is just chilling in a box because I chose Cyndaquil (and am very attached to my starter), but that Entei I'm much more attached to than the Geodude, since it's a legendary, it was a struggle to get, and it (along with other Gen 1 / Gen 2 Legendaries) was the whole reason I started playing HeartGold again. I always get attached to my starter, I often get attached to other team members who step up significantly and carry a lot of weight. In Sword, it was Corviknight, in HeartGold, it's been Quagsire. I also get attached though to Pokemon I consider special, whether that's because they're Legendaries, or because I got them as part of a memorable trade, or just because they were very hard to get. So tl;dr I May get attached to the Pokemon that are on my team, but that's neither a requirement for me to get attached, nor a guarantee that I will.

I got attached to my Yellow and Gold teams, and more recently the LGE one (the following aspect really helped). That's about it, but I do remember most of the others.

To an extent yes. For my first few years of playing Pokemon it used to be all my team members. I was very attached to my Crystal team to the point I still name many of my Typhlosion's Piper. I also had a strong bond with my Nuzlocke team, and later my Pokemon X Team. After I finished Sun and Moon though, the feeling started to fade, and it never quite hit again.

I fall in love with some Pokemon designs, and I'll occasionally have a Team member who I love to bits. But there's no one I really form that close of a bond to. I actually don't know why. Maybe it's because for a while when I played Pokemon I would kind of write a little story in my head while playing. These days while I still do this to an extent, I usually just invest most of my creative fuel into actually writing stuff.

somewhat. the amount of attachment i feel towards a specific pokemon is probably directly correlated to how much time i've spent journeying with it/battling with it, alongside how much time i've spent to get said pokemon in the first place. i know this is definitely the reason why i feel attached to the shinies i have in shield version lol.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom